SDR: How to get started?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
So, I bought a Nooelec NESDR Smart SDR. I installed the drivers for the device as well as "HDSDR" software, which is listed on Nooelec's website for compatible software. Now I have no idea what to do...

There is a ton of info in the internet about SDR's that I am not sure where to go. Or should I use another SDR software program? Is there a simple start up guide somewhere?

DRL-XM43

So, I bought a Nooelec NESDR Smart SDR. I installed the drivers for the device as well as "HDSDR" software, which is listed on Nooelec's website for compatible software. Now I have no idea what to do...

There is a ton of info in the internet about SDR's that I am not sure where to go. Or should I use another SDR software program? Is there a simple start up guide somewhere?

What is it you hoped to do with it?

There are dozens of different scanning/monitoring worlds out there for SDR.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber

I would like to monitor trunked system. Maybe some 6 and 10 meter ham band, as well.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
I would start with SDR# first, it's one of the first programs that came out for dongle SDRs but has been continually updated over the years. HDSDR is also a very good software and has a very attractive dashboard. Get your feet wet with those and see how you like them. Can't help you with trunking though, but there's lots of experienced ops on this forum to help out.

You get a lot of bang for the buck with a SDR dongle, and Nooelec is a reputable company to purchase from. Good luck and have fun.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber

slicerwizard

Yeah, DSD+ Fast Lane handles those. No other software required except for running Zadig to install the correct USB driver for the dongle. Tune to a P25 control channel and it starts following voice calls. Same for any 2m or 70cm D-Star, Fusion, DMR, P25 or analog traffic - just tune and listen.

Unitrunker should also be fine with those P25 systems. SDRTrunk is another option. Or OP25 if you're running Linux, but I assume you're using Windows.

For 6 and 10m ham stuff, SDR# or HDSDR, I guess.

AC9BX

You can monitor trunk system traffic with that dongle. Tracking a trunk system with only one dongle is tricky. You need 2 to do it well, park one on the control channel, the other goes for the calls. Unitrunker with a virtual audio cable and DSD+ will do what you want. As others said there are a number of options.
For very good performance I'd go with Airspy. There's others of course. For basic performance I highly recommend the genuine 'RTL-SDR blog' model. There are counterfeit ones. It's just a few dollars more expensive but significantly improved over the cheapest ones. Example, 2 cheapy dongles I've had required a freq correction offset of 78 and -80 ppm respectively. And this changes as you move up to UHF. The RTL blog unit is at 1ppm when cold, 0 when warm. That plus the SMA connector versus MCX make it worth the extra few dollars.
For casual listening to whatever SDR sharp is tops. If you have a high quality computer sound output you now have the best FM broadcast band tuner you've ever heard, not that there's much worth listening to these days. The sky's the limit (pun or not) with these SDR thingies.

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
I agree with slicerwizard. I've been using the single dongle option with DSD+ since the last fastlane release and have had no issues. Excellent program.

Brookline

I agree with tglendye, i am starting also with sdr and try tu use HDSDR , there is poor help on the web, many web pages but not one detailed page. I do not understand exactly you question. if you have installed hdsdr you should have the hdsr shortcut so you clic on it and hdsdr should start... but before to clic, the sdr key has to be plugged on the pc, of course... an other solution is to contact nooelec. i sent them several questions and the reply was always fast and kind. But maybe you have find solution now...

ScubaJungle

IMO, the best two programs for SDR/digital radio are:
Unitrunker V2 for trunked systems (like public safety with large amount of talk groups, since you can download the RR DB info and have the TGs pop up already named and everything)
DSDPlus Fastlane for DMR, single-freq P25, etc. Its great for trunking also, but Unitrunker is literally made for it specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.