SDR: How to get started?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKINNY1

IMO, the best two programs for SDR/digital radio are:
Unitrunker V2 for trunked systems (like public safety with large amount of talk groups, since you can download the RR DB info and have the TGs pop up already named and everything)
DSDPlus Fastlane for DMR, single-freq P25, etc. Its great for trunking also, but Unitrunker is literally made for it specifically.

I am trying to get SDR-TRUNK running. For some reason, I have followed the directions to a T! I can't get it working. I have installed it on three computers, the last one was a brand new computer. Seems like everything is working but no audio. I did try the 162.475 weather (NBFM) in SDRTrunk and it works with good audio. Then I switch to 800 MHz trunking everything shows up under the Spectrum and waterfall and it looks like it is working but I have no audio. Under Events in the details box I am getting a TUNER UNAVAILABLE - PHASE 1 CHANNEL GRANT and TUNER UNAVAILABLE - PHASE 1 CHANNEL GRANT PRI4 CIRCUIT I went to VIEW and then PREFERENCES in SDRTrunk and tested playback and Record sound test buttons and they all work.

I don’t know if this matters or is even related to my issue at hand but under the Tuners tab every time I set the freq there it changes as soon as I go to the channels tab. Any ideas?

I am using Windows 10 lastest edition, SDR-Trunk V0.0.4.0, JDK-14 (Java), and JMBE-1.0.4.

I might up on SDR-Trunk give up and try DSDPlus fast lane. Hopefully, it is easier to set up! LOL

Rick

ScubaJungle

I am trying to get SDR-TRUNK running. For some reason, I have followed the directions to a T! I can't get it working. I have installed it on three computers, the last one was a brand new computer. Seems like everything is working but no audio. I did try the 162.475 weather (NBFM) in SDRTrunk and it works with good audio. Then I switch to 800 MHz trunking everything shows up under the Spectrum and waterfall and it looks like it is working but I have no audio. Under Events in the details box I am getting a TUNER UNAVAILABLE - PHASE 1 CHANNEL GRANT and TUNER UNAVAILABLE - PHASE 1 CHANNEL GRANT PRI4 CIRCUIT I went to VIEW and then PREFERENCES in SDRTrunk and tested playback and Record sound test buttons and they all work.

I don’t know if this matters or is even related to my issue at hand but under the Tuners tab every time I set the freq there it changes as soon as I go to the channels tab. Any ideas?

I am using Windows 10 lastest edition, SDR-Trunk V0.0.4.0, JDK-14 (Java), and JMBE-1.0.4.

I might up on SDR-Trunk give up and try DSDPlus fast lane. Hopefully, it is easier to set up! LOL

Rick

It is a little bit challenging to set up. I forgot to mention SDRTrunk, but that is my go to for phase II trunking.
The biggest problem people have is with the audio decoder compiling - did you compile the jmbe.jar file, and specify the path?
If not, there wont be any audio for P25.

If youre not listening to P25 Phase II, then I would try Unitrunker V2, it is much simpler. It works for Phase I, as well as EDACS, and other common public safety protocols.

SKINNY1

Yes, I did go to Preferences and setup the JMBE Audio Library decoder .Jar file. Man, this looks so cut and dry but yet it will not work.

What do you know about DSDPlus Fastlane? Is it simple to setup? Is it worth the 25.00 for Fastlane?

Thank you for your reply.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
Will this SDR Dongle do the job for regular everyday local UHF/700-900 P25 I and II and ADS-B monitoring?
NooElec NESDR Smart v4 SDR - Premium RTL-SDR
The RTL-SDR Blog V3 is not available for more than a month.
Jim

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Will this SDR Dongle do the job for regular everyday local UHF/700-900 P25 I and II and ADS-B monitoring?

No experience with ADS-B monitoring, but the NooElec SDRs do fine for me on the local 800 P25 Phase II system. I think they are a step above the other option, actually.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Jim
That's a fine unit and I use a number myself. ADS-B might benefit from using a filter+preamp though, or just getting a dedicated dongle that includes both like the Flightaware Prostick Plus.

SKINNY1

That's a fine unit and I use a number myself. ADS-B might benefit from using a filter+preamp though, or just getting a dedicated dongle that includes both like the Flightaware Prostick Plus.

Finally figured out I had purchased a fake counterfeit RTL-SDR.COM dongle. It was not working. I confirmed through RTL-SDR.COM that it was a fake counterfit. So I just ordered a real one from RTL-SDR.COM.

ScubaJungle

Yes, I did go to Preferences and setup the JMBE Audio Library decoder .Jar file. Man, this looks so cut and dry but yet it will not work.

What do you know about DSDPlus Fastlane? Is it simple to setup? Is it worth the 25.00 for Fastlane?

Thank you for your reply.
Honestly, before spending the money, download Untirunker V2 for free. Its super easy to set up, and the least complicated out of all of them. (unless youre listening to phase II system)

ScubaJungle

Jim

@JimD56 I use this for ADS b monitoring:

Although it is not necessary, it improves reception

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
Thanks for all the great input.
I will be going with 2 SDR Dongles - NooElec for UHF/700-900mhz and the Flight Aware Prostick Plus for ADS-B VHF Air.
I already have roof antennas.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Thanks for all the great input.
I will be going with 2 SDR Dongles - NooElec for UHF/700-900mhz and the Flight Aware Prostick Plus for ADS-B VHF Air.
I already have roof antennas.
ADS-B is at 1090MHz so if you want to listen to VHF air you need to use the NooElec for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.