SDR# Installation Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab5r

After several attempts with installing SDRsharp and each failing, I am curious as to what I am doing wrong.

I was able to download and unzip the SDRsharp install file into the three resulting files: httpget.exe; install.bat; and unzip.exe.

I downloaded Zadig and ran that too. However, in looking at the drivers available, it did not have the suggested Bulkin.interface (interface 0). The instructions on the Zadig said that "RTL2832UHI would be acceptable and is what I chose.

The result was only the addition of a file named "sdrsharp" was added to the list of three previous files above. It did NOT have a suffix attached and was not a folder. There was nothing else for me to do and my install failed this way several times.

It may be a mote point since I did install HDSDR without problems. But, I am curious as what I did wrong. I am running Windows 8.1 and do have the latest .NET installed.

Thanks,
Jerry

ab5r

Shifty21:

Only the "file named "sdrsharp" was added to the original folder and it was not a Bat, EXE or any suffix attached. Not sure what you mean about windows installing files BEFORE installing Zadig. Only normal windows files would have been there.

joeuser

The Wretched
Zadiag has to go down first. Curious, what are you hoping to do at the end of the day? Listen to what?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 - Windows Phone 8.1 using Tapatalk

rbm

If I were you, I'd just delete that sdrsharp file and start over.

This is what you should see at each step of the installation. (screen shots from Windows 7 64 bit)

Step 1 is download and unzip the 'sdr-install.zip' file.

Step 2 is to double click on install.bat which will create the sdrsharp folder and download all the needed files into that folder.

Step 3 navigate to that folder to see all these files listed there. (36 items)

From that point, once you have successfully run zadig, if you double click on the 'SDRSharp' application, 'something' should happen. ;)

Rich

Last edited:

shifty21

On my Windows XP laptop, the batch file called up the command prompt and then closed it without downloading a thing. I had to use my desktop to get the files. If needed, I can send you a link with all the files in my Dropbox. As long as you have the Zadiag driver installed, I think you'd be golden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ab5r

To JOEUSER:

This is new to me (the SDR dongle) and will listen to who know what. What difference does it make along that it in frequency ranges? Probably VHF to SFH; who knows.

The other response setting out steps: I never got the SDRSHARP folder installed anywhere; thus no list of files.

Like I said, I have HDSR working fine, and was just wondering what I may have done wrong with SDR# try.

Thanks for responses/

joeuser

The Wretched
The reason I asked was, if ur planning on listening to trunked radio Unitrunker is the absolute way to go with 2 dongles. However, VHF & stuff SDR# was fine. If you have the HD running why are you trying to get SDR# going?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 - Windows Phone 8.1 using Tapatalk

ab5r

Joeloser:

I was ONLY trying to see what I did wrong or what shortcoming of my computer when HDSDR worked and SDR# failed. Since HDSDR is working ok, I assume that the other failre was in the driver selection or something like that.

Shifty21:

No, I was not really interested in trunking signals. I have an analog and digital scanners to cover that. I even have WinRadio too. This is just an experimental thing for me, I guess. Keeps me out of the pool hall, ya know.

stevmeister

shifty21, Iam also having trouble downloading the required files for sdrsharp. I would appreciate it if you drop boxed the files for me.

Thanks.

Steve

rbm

shifty21, Iam also having trouble downloading the required files for sdrsharp. I would appreciate it if you drop boxed the files for me.

Thanks.

Steve

To download sdrsharp, download the 'sdr-install.zip' file here:
http://sdrsharp.com/downloads/sdr-install.zip

Unzip the 'sdr-install.zip' file.
That should give you these three files.

Then, double click on install.bat which will create the sdrsharp folder and then download all the needed files into that folder.

Navigate to that folder to see these files listed. (more or less depending on the version of SDR#)

If not, see the section: 'Why the install script may fail', in the 'Install script ' link below.

Worst case, download the individual files listed in that section. (also download the zadig file from the last link below)
That should give you everything you need.

From that point, run zadig to install the driver.
Then if you double click on the 'SDRSharp' application, it should run.
(IF and only if the driver was installed correctly.)

Rich

For reference:

Install script
sdrsharp [licensed for non-commercial use only] / Install script

rtl-sdr.com
Quick Start Guide
SDR# (SDRSharp) Set Up Guide (Tested on Windows Vista/7 + XP)
Quick Start Guide - rtl-sdr.com

Zadig
http://zadig.akeo.ie/

Last edited:

stevmeister

rbm,

Thank you for your help. However, I have another problem.

1. The latest version of SDRSharp was successfully download and installed.
2. Zadig says it successfully installed the driver after following the instructions (several times).
3. When I run SDRSharp I get an error that says "Cannot access RTL device."
4. I have tried this a number of times on two machines with the same result.
5. Both machines are Macs running OS X Yosemite. SDSSharp and Zadig are run in a Windows 7 virtual machine running under Parallels 10.1.1
6. One Zadig anomaly that differs from the instructions: in the lower left corner of the Zadig window it says "WCID" with a red X next to it.
7. On one Mac the dongle is plugged directly into a USB 3.0 port on the machine. On the other Mac the dongle is plugged into a USB 3.0 hub. Same issue on both machines.
8. I even tried an older version of Zadig and got the same result.
9. Initially, I used an older version of SDRSharp and it worked. The problems started when I upgraded to version 2.1.1.
10. Just went back to older version of SDRSharp (ver 1.0.0.125) and it works great.

KD8DVR

Make sure you have the frequency window tuned to a valid frequency before starting the dongle. I was beating my head against the wall until I got it set... correctly. There are so many leading zeros on the screen, you got to get your decimal places right. Once I got the frequency set, it fired right up.

rbm,

Thank you for your help. However, I have another problem.

1. The latest version of SDRSharp was successfully download and installed.
2. Zadig says it successfully installed the driver after following the instructions (several times).
3. When I run SDRSharp I get an error that says "Cannot access RTL device."
4. I have tried this a number of times on two machines with the same result.
5. Both machines are Macs running OS X Yosemite. SDSSharp and Zadig are run in a Windows 7 virtual machine running under Parallels 10.1.1
6. One Zadig anomaly that differs from the instructions: in the lower left corner of the Zadig window it says "WCID" with a red X next to it.
7. On one Mac the dongle is plugged directly into a USB 3.0 port on the machine. On the other Mac the dongle is plugged into a USB 3.0 hub. Same issue on both machines.
8. I even tried an older version of Zadig and got the same result.
9. Initially, I used an older version of SDRSharp and it worked. The problems started when I upgraded to version 2.1.1.
10. Just went back to older version of SDRSharp (ver 1.0.0.125) and it works great.

rangioran

Premium Subscriber
Thanks!

After banging my head on the wall for the past few days puzzling over why SDR# had suddenly begun reporting 'Cannot access RTL device' every time I tried to start i found your suggestion to check I had a legal frequency in the window!

Thanks for you much appreciated post!

Status
Not open for further replies.