SDR# now supports custom stepping sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

br0adband

Just wanted to make everyone aware that SDR# now (as of 1-19-2014) has the ability to customize the frequency steppings. I know for most folks it might not be a big issue (or an issue at all), but with my recent foray into the world of SDR and using DSD+ to monitor some NXDN activity, it became somewhat frustrating trying to get the exact frequencies for those types of transmissions since they can use anything from 2.5 to 7.5 kHz - the biggest problem being the 3.125 kHz stepping which SDR# simply didn't support.

At least not till now that is. I made a post on the Yahoo SDR# group and amazingly in under 24 hours Youssef added that functionality in the latest version aka the nightly dev build which can be found on the SDR# download page at:

Downloads | SDR#

In the SDRSharp.exe.config file there's now a line where you can customize the sizes available or even remove those you have no use for. I myself don't have any interest in HF or SWL so I've removed everything larger than 25 kHz since I just don't require them and added 3.125 kHz in so I can nail those pesky offset NXDN transmissions without having to dial them in manually now.

SDR# just gets better and better all the time, I swear. ;)

Thanks Youssef, it's much appreciated.

N0IU

In the SDRSharp.exe.config file there's now a line where you can customize the sizes available or even remove those you have no use for.

I just updated to v1174 and I am probably just not looking at for right thing, but for the life of me, I can't find the line where to change the size settings.

BM82557

I just updated to v1174 and I am probably just not looking at for right thing, but for the life of me, I can't find the line where to change the size settings.

This is it -

<add key="stepSizes" value="1 Hz,10 Hz,100 Hz,500 Hz,1 kHz,2.5 kHz,5 kHz,6.25 kHz,7.5 kHz,8.33 kHz,9 kHz,10 kHz,12.5 kHz,15 kHz,20 kHz,25
kHz,30 kHz,50 kHz,100 kHz,150 kHz,200 kHz,250 kHz,300 kHz,350 kHz,400 kHz,450 kHz,500 kHz,1 MHz" />

N0IU

Well maybe I just haven't had enough caffeine this morning, but I do not see that line in the SDRSharp.exe Config file. Do I need to add it??

EDIT: Nevermind! I added the line to the config file and it works!

Last edited:

br0adband

It's not in the pre-1174 config file, it's only in the newer one IF you decide to just copy stuff over (typically not a good idea, of course). I ended up doing a file copy of almost everything except the config file itself because most of the files (but not all of them) are actually updated versions - I used a checksum utility to compare the files in the distribution archive with the older 1173 versions and just replaced only those files as required.

I then opened the "new" config file, found that line for the stepping sizes, copied the whole line and only that line and then pasted it into my regular config file then fired it up and it's working just fine for me. Once I knew it was working I edited the config file to remove the larger steppings over 25 kHz since I don't have any use for them, added 3.125 kHz and I'm all set.

Since SDR# doesn't have an installer for the dev builds, it can be somewhat tricky when doing an "update" to a newer build without doing damage to the previous version's functionality by overwriting things. Because SDR# basically resides in a single folder, my advice to anyone working with the dev/nightly builds (not exactly every night but that's what the nickname for such builds is) is when a new version does become available, make an archive of the current one you're using - Zip up the whole folder and stash it someplace BEFORE you drop in the updated version files. That way you can always revert to the previous version without issues.

The 7 P's... always a good thing. ;)

<I see you figured it out after I made this post so, good job...>

Last edited:

N0IU

I figured, "What the heck" and tried adding the line to the config file and if it FUBAR'd the program, I could always comment the line or just delete it or just start over from scratch.

I have had my amateur radio license over 21 years but I have only been poking around with these dongles for just a couple of weeks and I have to say that this is the first thing to come along in a very long time that has me really excited about where radio is going.

It is also a bit of a humbling experience to be on the other side of the question and answer equation. So despite what some people may think, I really don't "know it all"!

BM82557

Just an FYI -

I also notice that 1174 has this for the not yet available Airspy -

<!-- <add key="AIRSPY One" value="SDRSharp.AirSpy.AirSpyIO,SDRSharp.AirSpy" /> -->

Maybe soon??

br0adband

SDR# author/developer may have one as part of the testing process, who knows. There's just not that much about Airspy that matters so far but, of what I've seen it does look promising. If SDR# supports it "out of the box" that's just going to make both products better, most definitely.

EDIT:

DUH, I forgot - Youssef created SDR# and he's basically handling the design and development of Airspy, it's his project as I understand it, with help from others. Was catching up with the Airspy Yahoo Group just now and realized my booboo there. Of course SDR# will support Airspy - they're both created by the same guy. ;)

Last edited:

BM82557

Sorry but the new version does not support RTL-SDR/USB.

By default this line in the SDRSharp config file is always commented out when you install a new version -

<!-- <add key="RTL-SDR / USB" value="SDRSharp.RTLSDR.RtlSdrIO,SDRSharp.RTLSDR" /> -->

You have to remove the <!-- from the beginning and the --> from the end

pyteen

When I removed the comments and run programm this message appears.
Error loading 'SDRSharp.RTLSDR.RtlSdrIO,SDRSharp.RTLSDR' ....

But I have earlier version is installed and it works. I just need step 3.125 for nxdn.

Last edited:

BM82557

When I removed the comments and run programm this message appears.
Error loading 'SDRSharp.RTLSDR.RtlSdrIO,SDRSharp.RTLSDR' ....

But I have earlier version is installed and it works. I just need step 3.125 for nxdn.

Make sure you copy RTLSDR.DLL into the folder where you have the new version of SDRSharp.

pyteen

Thanks guys, it was done. Copied two files SDRSharp.RTLSDR.dll and rtlsdr.dll, the program has earned.

Status
Not open for further replies.