SDR Panadapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sybaris

I have a couple receivers that I'm trying not to sell and go full on SDR. I discovered that I still may be able to use them using an SDR as a panadapter.
After looking at the available SDRs and their GUI's I think I have settled on the ELAD S1.

I have a AOR AR5000 that goes up to 2.6Ghz but the ELAD S1 only goes up to 30Mhz. So my first question is do I have to use a SDR that matches or exceeds the AR5000 freq range in order to use it or will it cut off at the ELADs max at 30Mhz?

My second question is in the panadapter configuration is the receiver just acting as a passthrough for the signal and the SDR (or PC) is doing the processing or is the SDR the passthrough? I'm just curious if the signal from the AR5000 would still get the benefit of DSP.

thanks

Last edited:

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I believe you are asking if the SDR can enhance the operation of the receivers you have. The ELAD is an expensive choice. I have the SDRPlay, RSPdx which I believe has more functionally at a lower price point. It might be a good entry point to see if you want to go 'full on SDR'. SDRuno would be the software to use with it, but others might not agree.

Typical panadapter setup is for the SDR to be monitoring the IF in the receiver showing what's in the IF bandwidth. This requires the SDR to know the frequency the receiver is on so the SDR can translate/update it's frequency display. Depending on the radio the IF might be something like 10.7 MHz which means the SDR has to only be able to receive the IF frequency. You will only have the bandwidth on the SDR of the IF frequency bandwidth in the receiver.

Another setup is to operationally run your receiver and SDR in parallel. The SDR see the bigger picture that you can dial the narrow banded receiver too. Taking advantage of some of its functionality not in the SDR. You might be surprised at how well something like the RSPdx works along side your current receivers. It would be a good comparison to see if you want to shift focus to SDR and be less expensive. An RSPdx would be fairly easy to resell with only a small loss of $$$.

Good Luck!
Mike
P.S.
Reading over you post I didn't directly answer all of your question. Maybe some clarity was added that does??? :)

Sybaris

I believe you are asking if the SDR can enhance the operation of the receivers you have......

Good Luck!
Mike
P.S.
Reading over you post I didn't directly answer all of your question. Maybe some clarity was added that does??? :)

Thanks for your response and yes you answered my questions. I have to do a bit more research as I've not found anyone successful at getting the SDR GUI to control a AR5k even after they got a SDR to function as a panadapter for it. Most if not all panadapters that I have found require OmniRig with the AR5k but I have yet to get them to talk so I have to solve that before putting a SDR in the chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.