SDR# SDR# Plug-in: Frequency Scanner updated

Hi there !

In order to properly scan the higher part of VHF, full of NXDN signals in my area, I needed to set the "step size" to 3125.
Unfortunately, it seems that it is not possible to enter a value lower than 5000. So I add to enter 6250 ; as a results some stations are skipped.

Am I doing something wrong ?
Would it be possible to allow lower steps values inn a future release please ?

Thanks a lot
Best regards

Hi there,

Sorry for the somewhat off-topic message because it refers to the CTCSS plugin (current version 1.2.0.0), but I don't know how to contact its author, 'thewraith2008', about this ...
It actually won't with SDR# latest versions (to date rev1822) due to an incompatibility with the improved latency, according to an Airspy mailing-list member.

It would be great if this problem could be solved so that we can use this very convenient tool again.
Thank you so much.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Hi there !

In order to properly scan the higher part of VHF, full of NXDN signals in my area, I needed to set the "step size" to 3125.
I don't know if you got the answer to this already, but in case you didn't, you change the step size list by editing SDRSharp.config in the directory in which SDRSharp is installed. Look for the line that starts with <add key="stepSizes" value="... and insert ,3.125 kHz in the appropriate spot.

Thanks for the tip AM909, but it does not fix the problem.

When entering 3 125 in the Step Size window, the box is still displayed in red and the value is not valid. Same applies for all values< 5000.
Entering a value > 5000, all is fine.

3125.JPG

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
... When entering 3 125 in the Step Size window, the box is still displayed in red and the value is not valid. ...
Sorry. The change I described was to add the 3.125 kHz step size to SDR# itself. I don't know how to do it in the scanner plugin.

thewraith2008

..., I needed to set the "step size" to 3125.
Unfortunately, it seems that it is not possible to enter a value lower than 5000. So I add to enter 6250 ; as a results some stations are skipped.
I have reduce the lower limit of the step size so you can use 3125Hz. (see download location below for update)
It should be noted that using small step sizes can cause problems with CPU usage and detecting activity on channels before the actual channel.

As for the CTCSS plug-in, I don't see an immediate solution to fixing this.
The method the plug-in uses requires a few zero crossings to occur in the audio buffer to detect the tone.
Because the new SDR# (1822) has reduced its audio buffer size, the plug-in is no longer able to see the minimum amount of zero crossings to detect any tones. For me the number of samples in the buffer went from 1664 to 256.

Latest version (v2.2.8.0) can be found here: MEGA - Download

Thanks a lot for the updated version, including a lower limit of the step size. I'll run some tests and see how it behaves.

I can't comment on your technical explanation of the issue with the CTCSS plugin, but I hope a fix will be found so I can use this very useful tool again.
Thanks again for your responsiveness.

Sparky_ND

Glad I found this thread. I got one of the older versions working with v1.0.0.1716. Amazing how fast and accurate its working, scanning 10mhz of the vhf land mobile band 3 times per second. Speeds I only dreamt of with my old bc-60xlt......

Hi there !

Can the latest Frequency Scanner version (2.2.9) be used with an 'old' version of SDR# (I mean v1730 to v1785) or will it show some glitches ?
Thanks.

thewraith2008

It should work OK with SDR# versions up to 1716. (pre-Telerik UI)

SDR# versions v1717 to v1784 with Telerik UI are all over the place due to the huge changes that where made to the UI during that period.
Avoid using any of these versions.

SDR# versions v1784+ maybe OK, I've not really tested them.
I've only tried it on v1700, v1784 and v1822 and they looked OK.

I don't use the newer SDR# because I find it frustrating and clunky to use and there is no consistency to the location of the options/plug-ins in the UI.

Latest version (v2.2.9.0) can be found here: MEGA - Download

thewraith2008

Thanks.
So I will keep on running v2.2.7 when I need SDR# v1732 > 1784
Why would you want to use such bad versions, there is so much wrong with them and the affect they have on all plug-ins.
I just don't see any advantage with them at all. Use the latest or an older version that is at leasted considered stable.

Latest version (v2.2.9.0) can be found here: MEGA - Download

I had indeed forgotten that a link was available for this old unskinned version. I appreciate that you reminded me of it.

thewraith2008

This is a update v2.2.10.0 to the great Frequency Scanner plug-in for SDR#.

This plug-in version adds/changes and fixes some items:
Code:
2.2.10.0 - Release

Changed: Tweak (improvement) for CPU and scan speed

see changelog.txt for more details

Documentation has been created to help with it's installation and usage, please read it.
NOTE: Support is not guaranteed. Especially if the answers are contained in the documentation or on this forum.

I have tried to be as thorough as possible with the documentation to explain usage and features.
I believe any questions can be answered by reading this documentation.
This documentation most likely is not complete and may contain errors and is not laid out as good as it could be.

No real testing has been done (by me) with the newer SDR# from v1717 and above (v1822 at time of writing)
Limited testing has been done with SDR# 1700.
Limited testing has been done with SDR# 1822.
NOTE: SDR# has been going through some changes (1732+) and it's new features may see this plug-in play up.

Download
NOTE: Use 7zip or WinRAR to extract files from the .7z file and read the .PDF file for installation and usage of files with SDR#.

HASH: 5cfbfa48d82ed8d83b9bb2521fddf96f

Magpie

Thanks for this update, the increased scan speed is most welcome. Will test later.