SDR# SDR# Plug-in: Frequency Scanner updated

ewijkamp

Writing this doesn't mean that I/we don't like the new SDR# or scanning features, but 'it is what it is' for now...

Many of you, some users that I know and I myself, experience the same problems with several installations on several computers.
After the introduction of the Telerik interface it is almost not possible to run SDR-Sharp on a basic dual core system (3.1 GHz, 4GB, HDD).
In my basic install, normally I have Frequency Scanner, Frequency Manager, OmniRig Sync, DigitalAudioProcessor, Accessibility Control.
These are to find in the "Community Package with Plugins" too, as promoted on the AirSpy site and that one has the same problems.

The Airspy site doesn't tell us/me that SDR-Sharp won't work with less specs and what the new specs should be, even on my i5 SSD HD laptop some problems still exist. SDR# doesn't work stable anymore on computers at Scouting, after the introduction of SDR-Sharp Telerik version 1732. The program won't close after exiting, the screen freezes and taskmanager is needed to get rid of that frozen screen.
I/we do use the FrequencyScanner plugin often, as a kind of basic plugin in most of our SDR# versions. Even when plugins are quit and the list of plugins is made to a minimum, then problems still exist.

Sorry to say, but when installing the original 1782 version (or earlier versions) on my i5 SSD HD laptop, there are problems to find.
Even with this minimal list of plugins it goes wrong: Band Plan, Zoom FFT, Extended FFT, Frequency Manager. After 3 times starting and exiting the program, one after eachother, the 4th time starting it and it exits direct and can't be started at new. Often restarting is needed when adding plugins and seeing if they work. A complete restart of he computer does the job, but then it all starts at new, before 1716 this was no problem and it all worked fine.

Hope the team will do many more testing and maybe give us a choice to go back to the classic layout too.
Here we are used to that classic one and standard list of plugins, and some users with less view capabilities need a trustful layout combined with some external switches (with use of the Accessibility plugin).

Again, sorry for now, we'll stick to 1732 after all the changes and problems we experience.

radiostationx

@Mr_Xxx In fast scanner config selection perhaps set "scan only selected in manager" and tick all Eindhoven Frequencies of interest in your Frequency Manger although I think to do that you may need old Frequency Manager (freqman.zip) by Vasily Balikov linked below. This version of Frequency Manager has its own independent scan button also.

List of Plugins RTL-SDR.RU

@ewijkamp I too have older versions of sdr# running (v1732 at the moment) with fast scanner from @thewraith2008 as they seem to be more stable for my purpose of aircraft monitoring in AM mode. SDR# has evolved immensely over the last year or so , a community version with a huge amount of plugins, visual enhancements and so on. SDR radio hobby is a broad church so to speak with many branches such as satellite decoding, amateur TV,SW broadcast and such like. Whilst the latest sdr# versions may not be exciting for us mere aircraft monitors they may be of huge value to other enthusiasts. The older versions are still available (see link I posted earlier in this thread) and you wont have a problem with your i5 or core 2 duo machines.

rumcajs_tr

@thewraith2008 Thank you again for this fantastic plugin. I use it every day as my no1 plugin.
By the way, did you think about implementing similar plugin for the SDRuno software for the SDRplay line?
I don't like too much the direction where the SDR# development is going with the latest releases so to my two airspys, I also ordered an RSPdx. Looking for a fast scanner though.
Thanks again for all your work.

Andyjuk

I've just updated to SDR# 1784 ( without all the comunity plugins ) and Freq. Scanner 2.1.1.0. All working perfectly for me so far. Thanks again !

morfis

Not the scanner plugin at fault but the two most recent sdrsahrp verasions are causing numerous audio errors....though Youssef will blame it on something else as usual....now, should I blame the .NET framework, microshaft or sdrsharp - bearing in mind the thing that has actually changed is sdrsharp ;)

Fastest and most stable way of scanning remains V1700 and thewraith2008s enhanced scanner plugin

Andyjuk

Just for the record, I'm using SDR# 1784 basic version, Frequency Scanner plugin 2.1.1.0 with Calico Cat and Omnirig plugins, a frequency manager database with around 300 entries, the RadioReference database and it's connected to a program called Squawker PC. So far it's been 100% stable. PC is i7-6700, 3.41 GHz with 32GB of memory.

hamradionl

Labeling: Possible to put/make or show a channel user name label or pick user name from the freq manager.
Anyone like this function?

thewraith2008

FreqMan (Vasili's alternate Frequency Manager) already does this.

zlVOLf7.png

Latest version (v2.1.1.0) can be found here: MEGA - Download

hamradionl

Yes probably, hard to tell when released as Vasili has a habit of changing file dates so all releases look the same.:confused:
Thank you, found it got running with the new scanner
File itself is 2017, a function that light UP the label for only the active channel, be very nice function. I think seen this in one of the BETA Tetra or Netmonitor

hamradionl

PMR446 channel 16 and upwards use ODD stepsize, in scanner the smalst set is 5 KHz?
Possible set to 1 KHz?

morfis

PMR446 channel 16 and upwards use ODD stepsize, in scanner the smalst set is 5 KHz?
Possible set to 1 KHz?

PMR446 doesn't use an odd step size for any channel. The original 16 channels were 12.5kHz and the extended allocation from 2005 uses 6.25kHz
Scanning it at 1kHz would be illogical

hamradionl

PMR446 doesn't use an odd step size for any channel. The original 16 channels were 12.5kHz and the extended allocation from 2005 uses 6.25kHz
Scanning it at 1kHz would be illogical
446.146875 next channel is 446.153125 but if you say it from your point of knowledge is not logical or even illogical for scanning below 5 kHz step size, than it be so.... EDIT: try it.

morfis

446.146875 next channel is 446.153125 but if you say it from your point of knowledge is not logical or even illogical for scanning below 5 kHz step size, than it be so.... EDIT: try it.

So channel 25 is 6.25kHz above channel 24 - perfectly fitting the European plan for that part of the spectrum
Correctly configuring the scan ranges for the PMR446 allocation in the scanner it works perfectly (though having tried it I don;t think I'd ever want to listen to it again here....idiots and bad language mostly)

hamradionl

So channel 25 is 6.25kHz above channel 24 - perfectly fitting the European plan for that part of the spectrum
Correctly configuring the scan ranges for the PMR446 allocation in the scanner it works perfectly (though having tried it I don;t think I'd ever want to listen to it again here....idiots and bad language mostly)
I use the Fastscanner setup the freq band span, after the dot is rounded 4 decimal

thewraith2008

Where is this "... after the dot is rounded 4 decimal"

Looks OK here: (CH:13)
QnWk5qT.png

Define two ranges for PMR446 (Analog 1-16, Digital 1-32) like this:
ilwiW88.png

hamradionl

Where is this "... after the dot is rounded 4 decimal" Looks OK here: (CH:13)
Define two ranges for PMR446 (Analog 1-16, Digital 1-32) like this:
ilwiW88.png

Ok that is a way, thanks did not try that possible. Use scan range rounded 440.00000 to 450.00000 because there is also new DMR network below and above PMR that use the 12.5 / 10 kHz step, in fact 2 new network so thinking, pick all users in one scan range for logging in manager ;)