SDR# SDR# Plug-in: Frequency Scanner updated

hamradionl

Anyone test:
2x AIRSPYmini
2x SDR#1700 A + B
plugin: Scanner + Freq manager + Tetra trunk.

When start SDR#-A + SDR#-B running 2x FreqMan + Tetra this seem influence, i need longer time test.
Or any other plugin
BTW when remove all plugins, start tetra 2, 3. 4 times seem working like before.

Yes I have fixed that plug-in as well, I just haven't made the time to upload both plug-ins yet.
I have to reiterate that these plug-ins may not work when using via spyserver, especially the Frequency Scanner.

Understand 100%. Originally thought I was missing something (.config / setting / etc) that would allow SpyServer operation using the plugins. Will look for the new releases and give them a test when they become available. Again, appreciate the work on these - thanks.

causeway74

It would be nice for the scanner to work with a SpyServer source but imagine this would be very chatty in terms of network usage as each increment would request a tune event, detect activity, process stream data, return to user, process user commands. I reckon the lag would just make it unusable. I did try it before with no luck but I didn't ever expect it to work.

TDR-94

I'm having an issue with the Frequency Scanner. When the Frequency Scanner detects an active frequency and then stops and unmutes the audio,it will then cut off the audio a couple seconds into the transmission and then start scanning again after the wait period. It does this on every transmission while scanning.

I haven't yet been able to locate the settings or combination of settings that are responsible for allowing the scanner to stop on a frequency and wait for the transmission to end before going into the wait period and then resuming scan. All I'm getting is short blurps of traffic and then it continues on scanning to the next transmission and so forth. What specific setting adjust the resume scan behavior ?

thewraith2008

It would be nice for the scanner to work with a SpyServer source but imagine this would be very chatty in terms of network usage as each increment would request a tune event, detect activity, process stream data, return to user, process user commands. I reckon the lag would just make it unusable. I did try it before with no luck but I didn't ever expect it to work.
This is the way I see it as well.

If full IQ is used then it may work on local machine and maybe local network (depends on bandwidth) but I doubt you would have the speed via internet for it to work OK.
I am not 100% on how SDR#/SpyServer makes the IQ data available. I think the spectrum is sliced up and sent to SDR# with the tuned part as full IQ and the remainder of spectrum is something else. I have only looked at it enough to know that the scanner is only able to see 37500 of the 2000000 SPS so it does not work as it should.

Latest version (v2.2.3.0) can be found here: MEGA - Download
Release post here

thewraith2008

I'm having an issue with the Frequency Scanner. When the Frequency Scanner detects an active frequency and then stops and unmutes the audio,it will then cut off the audio a couple seconds into the transmission and then start scanning again after the wait period. It does this on every transmission while scanning.

I haven't yet been able to locate the settings or combination of settings that are responsible for allowing the scanner to stop on a frequency and wait for the transmission to end before going into the wait period and then resuming scan. All I'm getting is short blurps of traffic and then it continues on scanning to the next transmission and so forth. What specific setting adjust the resume scan behavior ?
If using: 'Use audio mute', the OFF (when mute switched OFF) and ON (when mute switch ON) controls the delays for mute action.
Try adjusting these values (OFF=5, ON=3 should work)

If NOT using: 'Use audio mute', then use it.
- The SDR# squelch and the use of the trigger/hysteresis is problematic. (because they are trying to do the same thing but with different levels)

Release post here

TDR-94

If using: 'Use audio mute', the OFF (when mute switched OFF) and ON (when mute switch ON) controls the delays for mute action.
Try adjusting these values (OFF=5, ON=3 should work)

If NOT using: 'Use audio mute', then use it.
- The SDR# squelch and the use of the trigger/hysteresis is problematic. (because they are trying to do the same thing but with different levels)

Release post here

The Use audio mute (OFF=5, ON=3) settings were the default and the Frequency Scanner was still exhibiting the premature resume scanning when making adjustments to those settings . Is it possible to use just the SDR# squelch and turn the hysteresis OFF to try and narrow down the root cause?

thewraith2008

The Use audio mute (OFF=5, ON=3) settings were the default and the Frequency Scanner was still exhibiting the premature resume scanning when making adjustments to those settings . Is it possible to use just the SDR# squelch and turn the hysteresis OFF to try and narrow down the root cause?
The trigger/hysteresis is fundamental to the scanner plug-in and can't be disabled.
The scanner does not use the SDR# squelch to detect activity nor is it used to resume scanning.

The "premature resume scanning" maybe a result of another option(s).
It maybe better to show how you have the plug-in configured rather than playing 20 questions.

Release post here

TDR-94

The trigger/hysteresis is fundamental to the scanner plug-in and can't be disabled.
The scanner does not use the SDR# squelch to detect activity nor is it used to resume scanning.

The "premature resume scanning" maybe a result of another option(s).
It maybe better to show how you have the plug-in configured rather than playing 20 questions.

I haven't found any combination of these settings yet that prevents the Frequency Scanner from prematurely resuming scan after a couple of seconds of umuting on transmissions.

Here is a screenshot of the settings currently.

Scanner Setting.JPG

TDR-94

Detect 45,Wait 2 seconds.Also tried 75 and 100 for the Detect value, no change in behavior other than quadrupling the amount of time it takes to scan a range. The Yellow line is set just above the noise floor and the Red line is set at what looks like around 25.

TDR-94

Any other suggestions for which settings to adjust? The Frequency Scanner still continues to just cut-off transmissions a couple seconds after unmuting and then continues on scanning.

I'm unable to hear a completed transmission before it drops it to continue scanning.Is there a specific "continue scan" timer setting that's telling the Frequency Scanner to continue scanning,regardless of the fact that it's currently receiving a transmission? I've tried many different noise protection delay settings,but that doesn't seem to make much difference with this behaviour.

Could gain setting affect this behavior?

Also,there is a Scan button on the Frequency Manager,does this use the the same settings as the Frequency Scanner?

radiostationx

Are you scanning with full 10msps (8msps actual) or 2.5msps ?
Do you have same issue at lower 2.5/2.4msps sampling rates or does the problem disappear ?

If so, This may indicate an issue reaching PC/ CPU limitations.

flanker86

Did anybody encountered that the plug-in frequency scanner scans way slower than the "build" in one (from the community download)?

I have it set up the same, so same range, channel spacing, hit bar (red), hysteresis (yellow), detect (both 35) and wait. On the "native" one I get about 140MHz/s scan speed and in the plugin version 2.2.3.0 I get about 60MHz/second - both on static and dynamic noise floor.

SDR# is 1784.

Tried both with changing dll or with stand-alone sdr# on different partition than the "main" one.

causeway74

Any other suggestions for which settings to adjust? The Frequency Scanner still continues to just cut-off transmissions a couple seconds after unmuting and then continues on scanning.

I'm unable to hear a completed transmission before it drops it to continue scanning.Is there a specific "continue scan" timer setting that's telling the Frequency Scanner to continue scanning,regardless of the fact that it's currently receiving a transmission? I've tried many different noise protection delay settings,but that doesn't seem to make much difference with this behaviour.

Could gain setting affect this behavior?

Also,there is a Scan button on the Frequency Manager,does this use the the same settings as the Frequency Scanner?

Did you try adjusting the red line to a lower value? I can't remember exactly why values I use but I think it is around the "10" mark on mine. It's worth reviewing the manual here. I don't have it to hand but I think if a signal drops below red line then this triggers the wait time before resuming. This is probably the reason for clipping. Perhaps the yellow is related, for me I have the yellow pretty much as far down as it will go. Detect 100 or as low as 75 has worked fine for me.

TDR-94

Are you scanning with full 10msps (8msps actual) or 2.5msps ?
Do you have same issue at lower 2.5/2.4msps sampling rates or does the problem disappear ?

If so, This may indicate an issue reaching PC/ CPU limitations.

Just tried setting the Airspy R2 to 2.5 MSPS and it didn't resolve the issue.

I keep getting this error multitudes of times now while trying to confugure settings in SDR#1784

What's the best way to go about reinstalling SDR# while retaining most/all of the configuration settings and frequencies?

Screenshot 2021-01-16 190136.JPG

TDR-94

Is there anything in my Plugins.xml that might be possibly conflicting or out of the correct sequence?

Screenshot 2021-01-18 230619.JPG

thewraith2008

Is there anything in my Plugins.xml that might be possibly conflicting or out of the correct sequence?

The "JarodCalc" entry is not required because the scanner plug-in already does what this plug-in does. (8.33 KHz selector)

What is the entry "CheckFrequencyOnEntry", this is not valid.

"FrequencyLock" is something you don't what to use with the scanner. Scanner must be able to tune freely.

Release post here

TDR-94

The "JarodCalc" entry is not required because the scanner plug-in already does what this plug-in does. (8.33 KHz selector)

What is the entry "CheckFrequencyOnEntry", this is not valid.

"FrequencyLock" is something you don't what to use with the scanner. Scanner must be able to tune freely.

I'll delete those and see if the some of the error issues go away.Although I'm not sure which .dll is associated with "CheckFrequencyOnEntry" Plugin.