SDR# SDR# Plug-in: Frequency Scanner updated

thewraith2008

Starting with a fresh non community edition SDR# is recommended.
A version before the new UI is also recommended.
  • v1716 was the last of the old UI.
  • v1716 ("last unskinned SDR# build") can be downloaded from Airspy download page.
Only install Frequency Scanner plug-in and try again.

The current version (1784) of SDR# has been left in a rather poor state.
  • UI doesn't render correctly if changed.
  • Step size not restored.
  • Some window (sizes) don't get restored even though it seems to save them correctly.
  • etc....

Latest version (v2.2.3.0) can be found here: MEGA - Download
Release post here

TDR-94

Starting with a fresh non community edition SDR# is recommended.
A version before the new UI is also recommended.
  • v1716 was the last of the old UI.
  • v1716 ("last unskinned SDR# build") can be downloaded from Airspy download page.
Only install Frequency Scanner plug-in and try again.

The current version (1784) of SDR# has been left in a rather poor state.
  • UI doesn't render correctly if changed.
  • Step size not restored.
  • Some window (sizes) don't get restored even though it seems to save them correctly.
  • etc....

Before I read your post I strarted fresh again with v1784 and the error issues went away,but the Frequency Scanner issue that I'm having didn't. I've noticed on the Channel Analyzer that the "signal bar" indicator just completely drops out along with the audio cut off's.

Before I download v1716.Does v1716 work properly with the v2.2.3.0 version of the Frequency Scanner and Freqman? If not, which are the lastest versions that are supported by v1716?

TDR-94

Is it normal for the source dropdown selections to revert back to their default settings after you close out SDR# v1716 and re-open it everytime? None of the gain settings stay where I set them or any of the selections.

radiostationx

I have never heard of that happening before unless you are not stopping fast scanner and stopping sdr# with stop button before closing the program window.
The airspy serial number, frequency ,gain value, display selection, step size etc are saved in file SDRSharp.exe (Config file)

Stopping sdr# invokes a save command to that file retaining essentials.

You mention gain specifically, the line for that an example would be
<add key="airspy.simplifiedGain" value="11" />

morfis

Is it normal for the source dropdown selections to revert back to their default settings after you close out SDR# v1716 and re-open it everytime? None of the gain settings stay where I set them or any of the selections.

It would be normal if you extracted the sdrsharp achive to your 'Program Files' directory.

sdrsharp needs to be extracted somewhere like:
C:\sdrsharp
C:\Radio\sdrsharp\

....NOT in your 'Program Files' directory tree

kc7vho

I have been using these plugins ctcss, dcs, freqman and frequency scanner forever from the start of this thread, I am using the newest (non community) sdr# 1784 and have no problems with anything because these plugins are AWESOME, but I do have a suggestion and not sure if it can be implemented in the way it would be extremely helpful for me and probably everyone else who finds these plugins useful in everyway.

I like how the log works in frequency scanner, but I suggest if possible anyway to add the ctcss and dcs codes those 2 plugins find while scanning to the log ??? I use the log all the time and I record all the hits but then I alway wonder what codes were used in their transmissions, both plugins work great at discovering the codes but no way to log them with the frequency used, That is the only thing I can think of to make my life easier.

Great work as always, these are the best plugins I have ever found for what I need.

TDR-94

It would be normal if you extracted the sdrsharp achive to your 'Program Files' directory.

sdrsharp needs to be extracted somewhere like:
C:\sdrsharp
C:\Radio\sdrsharp\

....NOT in your 'Program Files' directory tree

On my computer it's running under the downloads folder on the C: drive. Is there any particular reason why it would make any difference?

merlin

Haven't played with scanning yet, just downloaded V2.2.3.0.
Should be a nice addition especially with a new RX888 on the way.

TDR-94

No change in the Frequency Scanner abruptly cutting transmissions off using v1716 either.Even though all the metrics would seem to indicate that this computer should be fine running the Airspy R2 and SDR#, I don't think that is the actual case in this instance.

My only real interest in the Airspy R2 and SDR# was the ability to use the Frequency Scanner and Frequency Manager plugins. If anyone is interested in an Airspy R2 PM me.

radiostationx

Before you give up,
Try the "Troubleshooting PC Performance" section of quick start guide, there is a hyperlink to download airspy tools package from github

Quick start guide - airspy.com

download tools package from github into a new folder in drive c:
Using Command line (as adminstrator) throughout ,Navigate to New Folder and run in command line.

This will set airspy r2 streaming at 10msps and stop after 30+seconds with ctrl C

The result tell you if your PC is up to the job, anything less than 10msps average..the PC or USB controller is the issue not airspy R2.

TDR-94

That's part of the metrics that I was mentioning. I've performed the test multiple times and after the 30 second period it reports 10msps.

thewraith2008

I have been using these plugins ctcss, dcs, freqman and frequency scanner forever from the start of this thread, I am using the newest (non community) sdr# 1784 and have no problems with anything because these plugins are AWESOME, but I do have a suggestion and not sure if it can be implemented in the way it would be extremely helpful for me and probably everyone else who finds these plugins useful in everyway.

I like how the log works in frequency scanner, but I suggest if possible anyway to add the ctcss and dcs codes those 2 plugins find while scanning to the log ??? I use the log all the time and I record all the hits but then I alway wonder what codes were used in their transmissions, both plugins work great at discovering the codes but no way to log them with the frequency used, That is the only thing I can think of to make my life easier.

Great work as always, these are the best plugins I have ever found for what I need.
This is not currently possible, SDR# plug-ins cannot direct talk to each other.
I don't think merging the plug-ins is a solution as it would most likely affect performance of the scanner.

I know Vasili had a method of control for some of the plug-ins he created and I'm not sure if it could be modified to pass some basic information between these plug-in (ctcss,dcs) back to the scanner plug-in. This would require an addition common DLL.

Oops I forgot to click the post reply. (a day later :confused: )

Latest version (v2.2.5.0) can be found here: MEGA - Download

thewraith2008

No change in the Frequency Scanner abruptly cutting transmissions off using v1716 either.Even though all the metrics would seem to indicate that this computer should be fine running the Airspy R2 and SDR#, I don't think that is the actual case in this instance.

My only real interest in the Airspy R2 and SDR# was the ability to use the Frequency Scanner and Frequency Manager plugins. If anyone is interested in an Airspy R2 PM me.
Make a video of this issue you are seeing and post it somewhere so I/we can see.

What type of PC is been used:
  • Laptop or Desktop
  • Specs of PC (CPU/RAM/OS)
  • What is the power plan been used

Video to show:
  • The complete SDR# window.
  • Go through SDR# configuration settings (for dongle, radio, audio, fft display or any other changed that have been changed from default)
  • Go through Frequency Scanner configuration settings (side panel and configuration all four tabs and edit scan ranges window)
  • Show issue occurring. (more than once)
There has to be something you are missing as a lot of people are using the plug-in without any problems.

As already stated, you should start with a fresh copy of SDR# (v1700-1716 and non community edition) with no additional plug-ins other than the Frequency Scanner v2.2.5.0 plug-in.

TDR-94

I wouldn't even know where to start, when it comes to making a video. One last thing I'm going to try is turning off windows defender when running SDR#.

thewraith2008

Two programs I use:

OBS (Makes video with audio) A bit harder to setup
- Open Broadcaster Software®️ | OBS

ScreenToGIF (makes animated GIF)
- ScreenToGif - Record your screen, edit and save as a gif or video

You could use ScreenToGIF (@ 5 FPS) to at less show how you have things setup in SDR#
- Don't have radio playing as this will make final GIF larger than needs to be.
- Don't have SDR# at full screen size as this will make final GIF larger than needs to be.

If you are not able to supply the requested information then no one is really going to be able to help you.

morfis

On my computer it's running under the downloads folder on the C: drive. Is there any particular reason why it would make any difference?

So C:\Downloads\sdr_sharp ? (or whatever you call it's specific directory)

Yes there is a particular reason it makes a difference - windows doesn't allow programs to save settings within the:
C:\Program Files
C:\Program Files (x86)
trees when run.

As @thewraith2008 has said, people are willing to try and help you but we are struggling due to lack of detail about your set-up.

As I'm typing this there are two copies of sdrsharp (1784) running with the freqman (1.1.3.1) and frequency scanner (2.2.3.0) plugins on a fairly low spec and very 'vanilla' windows 10 machine and Airspy R2s. Both seem to be running fine, as they have done daily for weeks. Windows defender is also running

TDR-94

What's typically the most common setting for the Yellow line? Right on top of the noise floor or just above it?