SDR# SDR# Plug-in: Frequency Scanner updated

freqear

Does anyone know where I can download the "comprehensive 26-page PDF manual" for Frequency Scanner? (I thought it was part of v2.2.8.0 download, but when I looked into that download there were only 2 short text files?)

Also is it true that Frequency Scanner is not supported for SDR# ver 1811 (the latest community download)?

thewraith2008

The PDF is (still) apart of the archive which is available in the link below.

The version of the Frequency Scanner available here (in this thread) is not the same as the one in the community installer.
This version has many improvements over that one.

As far as I know, it still works with SDR# 1811.
I don't use that version of SDR#.

Latest version (v2.2.8.0) can be found here: MEGA - Download

freqear

The PDF is (still) apart of the archive which is available in the link below.

The version of the Frequency Scanner available here (in this thread) is not the same as the one in the community installer.
This version has many improvements over that one.

As far as I know, it still works with SDR# 1811.
I don't use that version of SDR#.

OK, I am new to the website forum...I don't see the link to the archive you mentioned in your post? If you mean the link "Latest version (v2.2.8.0) can be found here: MEGA - Download" just links me to the ver. 2.2.8.0 files?

Attachments

• 1619461608585.png
    1619461608585.png
    136.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Version 2.2.8.0 Download.PNG
    Version 2.2.8.0 Download.PNG
    28.1 KB · Views: 23

BM82557

Screenshot - 4_26_2021 , 17_02_35.png

Click on Frequency_Scanner
Right Click on frequency_scanner_v2.2.8.0.7z
Download awayScreenshot - 4_26_2021 , 17_29_52.png

Unzip with 7-Zip

Screenshot - 4_26_2021 , 17_31_51.png

Last edited:

freqear

View attachment 102790

Click on Frequency_Scanner
Right Click on frequency_scanner_v2.2.8.0.7z
Download awayView attachment 102791

Unzip with 7-Zip

View attachment 102792
Thank you very much for that straight-forward explanation of where to find this article. I was surprised even with your clear instructions of how long it took me to extract that PDF, as I have never worked with a 7 Zip archive before. I kept using a regular zip extractor, with no results. I finally threw in the towel, and downloaded the 7 zip, and finally figured out how to work it and got the PDF. Thanks!

thewraith2008

The scan speed can be changed with "Detect" value (lower for faster).
Whether this works can depend on the SDR dongle used and possible other PCs specs.
If you set to it to low, you will generally see the scanner stopping randomly where there is no activity.

Also using a dongle with wider RF bandwidth (samplerate) will see a scan speed increase.
I've only used a RTL dongle (the blue or RTL-SDR.COM one) and briefly tested an Airspy R2.
The RTL is relatively slow compared to the Airspy. (I don't remember the MHz/s values)
The MilAir crowd love using Airspy with the scanner as they can scan the entire MirAir band in 2-3 secs.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
The MilAir crowd love using Airspy with the scanner as they can scan the entire MirAir band in 2-3 secs.

Yes; the milair band is what I am trying to scan. It does scan the entire band, but nowhere near 2-3 seconds. I'll try playing with the "Detect" settings.
BTW I have RTL dongles, as well as Airspy and Airspy mini. I am currently trying with the Airspy mini.

Mr_Xxx

Yes; the milair band is what I am trying to scan. It does scan the entire band, but nowhere near 2-3 seconds. I'll try playing with the "Detect" settings.
BTW I have RTL dongles, as well as Airspy and Airspy mini. I am currently trying with the Airspy mini.

just did the mil airband scan with my airspy mini : detect 55 = 2.6 sec / detect 100 = 4.4 sec ... my detect is on 55, no problems with it on that setting.
also check your step size : 25.000 / bandwith 8000 is what i have on the mil band
(pc i5 8400 16gb RAM and sdrsharp 1.0.0.1777 / v 2.2.8.0 )

scan32470

Premium Subscriber
Hi - I just installed the community package that includes the freq scanner and used this video to set it up:
if that helps any.
I'm getting 2.26 seconds but if I don't have the squelch set up high enough it stops like on a regular scanner, and the timer keeps going higher until it gets off that freq.
Question - The video guessed at about 12.5 for step size and BW of 12,000 - is there a good rule of thumb for figuring out what two numbers to use there for the freqs you're scanning?

thewraith2008

This thread is for the updated version of the Frequency Scanner plug-in and not the outdated version that is in the community package.

Linking that video is just bad advice for setting up and using this version of the Frequency Scanner plug-in which has many different options compared to the outdated one.

The use of the community package is not recommended as:
  • Most of the plug-ins are outdated and for earlier versions of SDR# (pre v1717). They may still work with newer SDR# versions but don't look right because of the different UI/themes SDR# now uses.
  • Gives (new) users the impression that they can install as many (outdated) plug-ins as they like and does not make the user aware that doing so will cause problems.

scan32470

Premium Subscriber
This thread is for the updated version of the Frequency Scanner plug-in and not the outdated version that is in the community package.

Linking that video is just bad advice for setting up and using this version of the Frequency Scanner plug-in which has many different options compared to the outdated one.

The use of the community package is not recommended as:
  • Most of the plug-ins are outdated and for earlier versions of SDR# (pre v1717). They may still work with newer SDR# versions but don't look right because of the different UI/themes SDR# now uses.
  • Gives (new) users the impression that they can install as many (outdated) plug-ins as they like and does not make the user aware that doing so will cause problems.

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't realize there were two versions. I'll see if I can delete that post. of mine.

Chertenag

Thanks a lot for your plugin.
I am facing with the task of menaging the list of prohibited frequencies that are stored in the "scanner_entryes.xml" file using a third-party application. But as I understand it, this file is read only once when the application is launched, and then it is rewritten during the process. That is, any changes made from outside will be ignored and will be taken into account only after a restart (in case that they was not rewritten at all).
Could you add the ability to periodically re-read "scanner_entryes.xml" and apply changes while Frequency Scanner is running? Something like the "Reset noise floor" option with a choice of period.

thewraith2008

Thanks a lot for your plugin.
I am facing with the task of menaging the list of prohibited frequencies that are stored in the "scanner_entryes.xml" file using a third-party application. But as I understand it, this file is read only once when the application is launched, and then it is rewritten during the process. That is, any changes made from outside will be ignored and will be taken into account only after a restart (in case that they was not rewritten at all).
Could you add the ability to periodically re-read "scanner_entryes.xml" and apply changes while Frequency Scanner is running? Something like the "Reset noise floor" option with a choice of period.
Why do you need to manage the lockouts externally to the running plug-in?
What requirements do you need to manage the lockouts via the plug-in that it currently doesn't have.

I don't see any reason to add complexity to the loading/usage of the "scanner_entryes.xml" for a one off random "third-party application".

Chertenag

Why do you need to manage the lockouts externally to the running plug-in?
What requirements do you need to manage the lockouts via the plug-in that it currently doesn't have.

I don't see any reason to add complexity to the loading/usage of the "scanner_entryes.xml" for a one off random "third-party application".

I have remote point and i don't have opportunity to constantly control it. There is a need to temporary lock with more sophisticated algorithm (lock for different bands and specific freqs for specific amount of time (from minutes to days) for each of them, because of different nature of interference signal or for example when total recording time of the freq exceeds a certain value).
In order not to complicate the locking algorithms in the plugin, I can move this part into a separate app and implement all the logic as I need.
So in the end all I need is the way to say to the plugin to lock or unlock frequency. In my opinion, the easiest way to do this is to use "scanner_entryes.xml".
I will only be in favor if you can suggest another solution to my question.