SDR-RTL OP25: Single Talkgroup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecarvalho

I am trying to get my OP25 to monitor a single TG. Seems I have my tsv files correctly done but I still hear other TGs ... what could I be doing wrong?

boatbod

I am trying to get my OP25 to monitor a single TG. Seems I have my tsv files correctly done but I still hear other TGs ... what could I be doing wrong?

Basically all you need to do is configure a whitelist with a single entry.

trunk.tsv contains the name of your whitelist file, then that file contains just the tgid, one per line.

e.g.
trunk.tsv (exactly one tab between each entry)
"Sysname" "Control Channel List" "Offset" "NAC" "Modulation" "TGID Tags File" "Whitelist" "Blacklist" "Center Frequency"
"FiRST-TALB" "773.84375" "0" "0x4a6" "CQPSK" "first.tsv" "talbot.wlist" "first.blist"

talbot.wlist

In this instance my whitelist contains 7 tgids, but yours would obviously only have a single line.

ecarvalho

Basically all you need to do is configure a whitelist with a single entry.

trunk.tsv contains the name of your whitelist file, then that file contains just the tgid, one per line.

e.g.
trunk.tsv (exactly one tab between each entry)
"Sysname" "Control Channel List" "Offset" "NAC" "Modulation" "TGID Tags File" "Whitelist" "Blacklist" "Center Frequency"
"FiRST-TALB" "773.84375" "0" "0x4a6" "CQPSK" "first.tsv" "talbot.wlist" "first.blist"

talbot.wlist

In this instance my whitelist contains 7 tgids, but yours would obviously only have a single line.

Thank you! I'll configure it tomorrow.

ecarvalho

Last question: Am I Ok if I only created a whitelist? Or should I create a blacklist file for all other TGs?

ecarvalho

I believe the nnnn.wlist file is a problem in my setup.
I created the wlist file called lcso.wlist and added the filename to the appropriate trunk.tsv column.
Ran OP25 and got the following error:

self.trunk_rx = trunking.rx_ctl(frequency_set = self.change_freq, debug = self.options.verbosity, conf_file = self.options.trunk_conf_file, logfile_workers=logfile_workers)
File "/home/eadc/op25/op25/gr-op25_repeater/apps/trunking.py", line 509, in __init__
self.build_config_tsv(conf_file)
File "/home/eadc/op25/op25/gr-op25_repeater/apps/trunking.py", line 572, in build_config_tsv
self.setup_config(configs)
File "/home/eadc/op25/op25/gr-op25_repeater/apps/trunking.py", line 602, in setup_config
self.configs[nac][k] = get_int_dict(configs[nac][k])
File "/home/eadc/op25/op25/gr-op25_repeater/apps/trunking.py", line 473, in get_int_dict
return dict.fromkeys([int(d) for d in open(s).readlines()])
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: '

So I am suspecting that, in trunk.tsv I have to type the TGID in the whitelist column, which I had already but didn't help as OP25 was getting other TGIDs.

What am I missing?

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
The error is indicating your NAC entry is not in the correct format. The correct format is "0x00A" or "0xCAA", not "00A" or "CAA".

ecarvalho

hmmm... site NAC is 372 so I entered 0x372
Wrong?

Site info:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=16224

My trunk.tsv file:
"Simulcast" "853.9125,853.050,853.6625,853.775" "0" "0x372" "CQPSK" "loudounco.tsv" "2805"

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
hmmm... site NAC is 372 so I entered 0x372
Wrong?
No, that is the correct format.

My trunk.tsv file:
"Simulcast" "853.9125,853.050,853.6625,853.775" "0" "0x372" "CQPSK" "loudounco.tsv" "2805"
Make sure the fields are separated by tabs, not spaces.

ecarvalho

Thanks. Yes there is 1 tab between each value.
There is no error when I use a TGID in the Whitelist value. The errors I showed above exist if I use "lcso.wlist" in the Whitelist value field. So my guess is my setup is old or different at least from the one boatbod uses.

So right now my issues are:
1) not being able to keep on a single TGID (2805 in my case)
2) receiving partial transmissions (might be due to the arguments I'm using below)

./scope.py --args rtl=0 -N LNA:46 -f 853.9125e6 -S 1024000 -q -5 -V -T trunk.tsv -2

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. Yes there is 1 tab between each value.
There is no error when I use a TGID in the Whitelist value. The errors I showed above exist if I use "lcso.wlist" in the Whitelist value field.
You don't have to specify a file for the white list. You can simply enter in the desired tgids you want to hear. Since you're only interested in one tg, the file option is a bit unnecessary.

1) not being able to keep on a single TGID (2805 in my case)
If 2805 is the only talkgroup in the white list, then the program will ignore everything else. I don't know why this isn't working for you.

2) receiving partial transmissions (might be due to the arguments I'm using below)

./scope.py --args rtl=0 -N LNA:46 -f 853.9125e6 -S 1024000 -q -5 -V -T trunk.tsv -2
There are no errors in your command line. If you're getting partial transmissions, it might me due to signal strength, maybe? It's also possible you're having aliasing issues with that sample rate. You will get a cleaner spectrum if you use a sample rate of 2400000. This is really just guessing at this point since I can't see your screen. :p

ecarvalho

HAHAHA no, I wouldn't expect you to see my screen. I'm ssh'd into the machine which physically sits at the garage downstairs. I will change that sample rate to 2400000 at see what happens. Thank you for taking the time to reply here. I appreciate your help!
Signal might be an issue, not sure... the G5 gets full bars at the garage but the SDR might be a completely different animal.

ecarvalho

I'm thinking my issue is perhaps aggravated by the old hardware I'm using to run OP25. CPU appears to be suffering pegged at 100% most of the time.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 515

boatbod

Maybe. There are optimizations that can be made to p25_frame_assembler_impl.cc that will reduce cpu, but you might want to explore the new version on the max branch of the repository. You can run that with no gui for even lower cpu.

ecarvalho

Maybe. There are optimizations that can be made to p25_frame_assembler_impl.cc that will reduce cpu, but you might want to explore the new version on the max branch of the repository. You can run that with no gui for even lower cpu.
OK let me explore the new version in the rep. Thanks for the tip!

ecarvalho

I've decided to test another piece of hardware (newer computer with 8GB of Read Access Memory and a new SSD drive). I also ordered a newer SDR with 0.5PPM (so they claim) in a metal case:

0.5PPM RTL2832U/R820T Ultra High Accuracy RTL-SDR USB W/ Aluminum Housing

Once it's here I will run new tests.
Right now I'm in the process of backing up the OP25 image into a DVD.
I couldn't find an obvious build without GUI but I confess I haven't looked hard enough due to other tasks at home this weekend.

Below is a screenshot of what I believe is lack of CPU power to process further. System times out after every transmission. "process_data_unit timeout" - is this normal?

This could explain why I keep missing following transmissions.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    83.4 KB · Views: 458

boatbod

Some process data unit timeouts are normal when you have long phase 2 transmission. It's a bug in the phase 1 timer code and nothing to be overly concerned with.

If you want to explore the new version you need to "git checkout max" and then read the README in the apps dir. It's not entirely accurate (you need to add "-w -2" to the command line) but close enough that you should be able to make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.