SDR Sharp / Airspy help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Can someone explain to me exactly how I can use this software? Apparently it doesnt do anything on its own. I need some kind of "dongle" which is a USB device that looks like a thumb drive. It acts as some kind of radio receiver. So when I plug the dongle in and boot up Airspy, will I be able to tune in to some HF frequencies? This is about the extent of how much I know. I'd like to play around with this but need more info. I need suggestions on which dongle to get. And what the heck I can actually do with this setup once I get it up and running. Thanks.

BackHive67

To get started you first need to purchase an SDR radio device, this plugs into a USB port on your PC (or Mac or whatever). You can buy the cheaper units here... Buy RTL-SDR Dongles (RTL2832U) .. you are looking for the 'RTL-SDR Blog V3' for around $23, they are actually very good value and perform very well.
When you get that, you must plug it in and install the drivers for it... Check www.rtl-sdr.com and search there for those. Connect some sort of antenna to it via it's SMA connector. Download the free SDR Sharp (SDR#) software from www.airspy.com. Fire up SDR#, tell it you are using an 'RTL-SDR' at the very top left and hit play. With a mediocre antenna connected, to do a basic test, you should easily pick up broadcast FM radio stations between 88 and 108 MHz as displayed on top. Make sure the software is set to 'WFM' mode, click on the frequency readout on top to tune up and down. For aircraft, tune from 118 to 137 MHz in 'AM' mode. From there, if you get the bug, you can purchase more expensive/better SDR devices and the world is your oyster regarding antennas and what you can receive. I hope this helps.
Terry

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
To get started you first need to purchase an SDR radio device, this plugs into a USB port on your PC (or Mac or whatever). You can buy the cheaper units here... Buy RTL-SDR Dongles (RTL2832U) .. you are looking for the 'RTL-SDR Blog V3' for around $23, they are actually very good value and perform very well.
When you get that, you must plug it in and install the drivers for it... Check www.rtl-sdr.com and search there for those. Connect some sort of antenna to it via it's SMA connector. Download the free SDR Sharp (SDR#) software from www.airspy.com. Fire up SDR#, tell it you are using an 'RTL-SDR' at the very top left and hit play. With a mediocre antenna connected, to do a basic test, you should easily pick up broadcast FM radio stations between 88 and 108 MHz as displayed on top. Make sure the software is set to 'WFM' mode, click on the frequency readout on top to tune up and down. For aircraft, tune from 118 to 137 MHz in 'AM' mode. From there, if you get the bug, you can purchase more expensive/better SDR devices and the world is your oyster regarding antennas and what you can receive. I hope this helps.
Terry
Yes this helps a lot. Just a question on what type of antenna I can use. I am not familiar with SMA connectors.

ArloG

Firstly I think a trip to Youtube may help a great deal. Punch in RTL-SDR Blog V3 as BackHive67 suggested.

The RTL is a radio receiver. It needs software to support it (make it run).
SMA connectors are to connect an antenna. For an antenna that receives shortwave (HF) a simple piece of wire strung up horizontal will get you started. For that you will need an adapter such as a 9:1 balun with an SMA connector on one end and screw terminals for your wire antenna.
A ground wire is a good thing too. Use a metal water pipe or a rod driven in the dirt.
Again. Youtube. The SDRSharp program is not a streaming (internet) program. It operates the SDR 'dongle'.

The little antenna that comes with some RTL's is designed for European TV reception. Unless you live close to VHF transmitters that little antenna wont get you much. To get started HF, shortwave, will be much more exciting. ake sure the SDR radio you choose has good frequency range.
And good reviews.

Look at photos of the devices you'll be getting. A cheap bag of SMA adapters and couplers would be a good thing to have too. Especially if you eventually get a VHF Discone antenna. The cable connectors for them will need an adapter to hook up to the SDR.

If you search for online SDR radios you'll be able to get a first hand hand's-on tryout of other peoples radios they make available online.

Youtube! And good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.