SDR Unitrunker DSD+ Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

firebal

Premium Subscriber
Hello all
I am new to the SDR world and have run into a bit of a problem. I am trying to listen to Baltimore Counties P25 P1 system https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7117 using 1 cheap sdr (as the voice) and 1 rtl-sdr (as the control/signal). VB cable is installed and is set as the default. I am the most recent versions of both Unitrunker and DSD+. Am am currently only receiving garble. I have attached all relevent photos that have been asked for with other questions regarding Unitrunker and DSD+. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-firebal

Attachments

• p25 attempt.jpg
    p25 attempt.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 500
  • Signal Info.jpg
    Signal Info.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 442
  • Signal VCO.jpg
    Signal VCO.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 478
  • Voice Info.jpg
    Voice Info.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 409
  • Voice VCO.jpg
    Voice VCO.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 404

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
If that is a simulcast system, then good luck -- you can expect issues in that case. Unitrunker and an SDR dongle won't magically fix simulcast distortion, if that's the problem.

Mike

SCPD

QRT
The image shows a health of 22%. Work on getting the control channel decode rate close to 100% before attacking voice quality.

firebal

Premium Subscriber
The image shows a health of 22%. Work on getting the control channel decode rate close to 100% before attacking voice quality.

Ok, thanks Unitrunker! And especially for making such a great program. Any suggestions on how to improve my signal health? Or control channel health?

SCPD

QRT
The usual suspects are:

1. warp correction.
2. gain setting - too high or low
3. noise from nearby electronics
4. better antenna.

Adjust the warp correction to keep the window value low. A single digit window value (positive or negative) is good.

For gain setting - start with baseband AGC ON, tuner AGC off, and start with a gain of 300. Maximum is 485.

Use a USB extension cable to move the SDRs away from the PC host.

firebal

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I was curious to try to see if SDRtrunk works and it does. I am able to for the most part receive audio clearly. However, I would still like to get Unitrunker working. So now that we know that I can decode it with SDRtrunk. What should I try for Unitrunker?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Ok, I was curious to try to see if SDRtrunk works and it does. I am able to for the most part receive audio clearly. However, I would still like to get Unitrunker working. So now that we know that I can decode it with SDRtrunk. What should I try for Unitrunker?

You shouldn't bother using unitrunker.

SDRTRunk supports LSM systems

DSDPLus (using FMP as the receiver, not SDR#) and DSDPLus to decode supports LSM

DSDPLus (using SDRSharp as the receiver) does not support LSM

Unitrunker does not support LSM -- at least never has on any system i've tried.

Mike

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

If you're using the same dongle and the same antenna and it works in sdrtrunk, then to me it sounds like the gain is set higher in sdrtrunk than in unitrunker or your ppm could be off in unitrunker.

What antenna are you using and how far from a transmitter are you?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Looking at your pic on a different monitor, it looks like you do not have a ppm set set on the signal vco. You do have 11 set in the voice. The signal vco you said is a rtl-sdr . Is it dead on ?

Also, if I am not mistaken, I believe the gain will go past 100. Try 3 or 500 and see what that does.

Status
Not open for further replies.