SDR - Universal Trunker + DSD - AFRN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kk4lts

Premium Subscriber
As of today (June 28, 2019), I am finding that most local municipalities have moved to AFRN.

On the old JeffCo Pub Services P25 system, I have no problem with my set up. I usually monitor 855.6875 for the control channel in unitrunker, and I route the output from to DSD+ for decoding the audio. It still works like a champ, but there's not much traffic left on JeffCo.

I've tried to switch to AFRN by changing my control channel to 857.53750. I am able to decode all the P25 traffic (calls, joins, logouts, etc.), but DSD+ isn't decoding any audio. I keep getting messages about "FM Demodulated Signal Detected." See attachment.

Is anyone monitoring AFRN with SDRs? I realize that some of the traffic is encrypted, but it doesn't look like _all_ of it is.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    25 KB · Views: 21
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    80.7 KB · Views: 21

slicerwizard

You're using Unitrunker plus DSD+ Fast Lane to monitor a P25 site that uses phase shifted modulation; the FM demodulation that Unitrunker uses is not really compatible with PSK. If you're using one or more SDR dongles, all you need to do is run a single instance of DSD+ (running in -r1 [single receiver] mode) and FMP24 (initially tuned to the control channel frequency); that should produce much better results. You get there by running the 1R.bat and FMP24-CC.bat files that come with DSD+ Fast Lane and then manually tune FMP24 to the CC frequency. Done and done.

kk4lts

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for this! This got me going down the right path.

I'm now running an all-DSDPlus/FMP24 setup (no Unitrunker) and am decoding AFRN perfectly. I ended going with the older 4 instances setup (1 FMP24 CC, 1 DSDPlus CC, 1 FMP24 VC, 1 DSDPLus VC) instead of the single receiver mode, but that is good enough for now. I'm not sure I understand how single receiver works with two SDRs.

Anyway, now I need to set up labels for talk groups. I really like this setup.

Jtolar

Chief Dog Petter - Radio Junkie
I did the opposite a while back. I stopped using DSD and let Unitrunker handle the decoding. The only issue I have seen is that if it is a weak signal (under 50 health) it won't decode but I have a strong enough signal it's not an issue.

1562179101239.png

Jtolar

Chief Dog Petter - Radio Junkie
The Unitrunker Google Group. Google Groups you will have to request membership but they (the developer) is really responsive and active. They are working on a new 2.1.x version but it is early beta and doesn't work yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.