SDRanywhere client-server on Android !

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hi,

Finally a real nice portable solution to enjoy your (RFSpace) SDR:
SDRanywhere

I tried the Android app and it works very smoothly and stable.
Good demodulation, agc and filters all nicely controlled by touch/tap and gestures.
Audio codecs sound good and spectrum/waterfall has adequate detail, combined with very low data rates.
On an Android screen the waterfall is really crisp.

It is kind of basic.
But I like basic tools that work really well.

It is multi platform,the server runs on windows but the client side may be on MacOSX, Windows, Linux and Android. The client does not need port forwarding so you can access your SDR on almost any platform from *anywhere* via the internet as the name says. The low data rate also makes it very stable.

Nice addition: the server is able to control several wideband receivers to tune along as a frontend to the SDR. In this way you can combine your DC-to-daylight receiver with an SDR user interface, and control it remotely with your Android device.

Interesting!

Paul
PD0PSB

SCPD

QRT
Also tested the Mac OSX client for some days, runs very smoothly!
Extremely efficient on both CPU and network bandwidth.

I used the word "basic", but a better word for this client-server solution should be "smart".

Its features are well packed into a very easy user interface, but done so with a high attention to quality:
Steady streaming, good audio quality, seemless zooming of waterfall/spectrum, excellent demodulation,filtering and AGC with variable threshhold (like a manual RFgain). Easy and enough tuning options with arrow key,scrollwheel,point&click or numerical entry. Client-server responsiveness of commands is good.

A seperate mention for the memory implementation.
It works with .ini files which holds the "complete state" of the client per memory.
So your zoom settings, stream quality, squelch level, agc threshold, waterfall floor, etc is all recalled.
It is also possible to generate several .ini files with different content, you can also edit these with a text editor if needed. This gives interesting options.

Measuring the network bandwidth I observed that when squelched, the streaming bandwidth drops the audio bandwidth portion. If you also turn off the video stream and leave the client squelched-standby on a frequency, the network bandwidth almost almost drops to zero until the squelch is opened :)

Excellent choices have been made between simplicity,efficiency,quality,versatility and attention to (audible) detail.

Paul
PD0PSB

Last edited:

oe1gca

Question about android application sdranywhere

Hi!

I've tested the android app and I'm very happy with it - great program!
I'ts exactly that what I was waiting for!

But I was not able to enter the IP address and the port on the client app to connect to my SDR-I/Q server on my LAN as described in the manual.

I could only connect to the servers in the list.

My server is also listed, but due to routing problems (UMTS router), I can't connect to my server via the internet - but this is another story ...

Is the entry of IP addr. & port disabled ?
What did I wrong ?

Thanks in advance for any help!

73!
Gerhard
OE1GCA

SCPD

QRT
Hi Gerhard,

If you can connect to other servers, the problem must be in the port forwarding of your own server.

Check if the server TCP port is forwarded correctly in your router/modem.

I can see your server here in the list, but can not test it as it is password protected...
Hope to see it available for other users in the future.

Paul
PD0PSB

oe1gca

Hi Paul!

Thanks for you answer.

Yes, it is clearly a routing problem. I've tried to install my SDR-I/Q in my weekend cottage (located also in vienna, but much lower noise floor than at home).

I dont't have a fixed internet there, thus I connect trough an UMTS router. The UMTS provider blocks everything from outside. Therefore I plan to establish a tunnel to my home server, which is accessible from anywhere. This will take some time, because I'm not 100% sure how to do it.

But my initial question was regarding the android app.
I could not find a possibility to enter an IP-address or a PORT. I can only select an existing and listed server.
In the manual it is shown, that also direct entry of IP-address and PORT is possible (for servers in the LAN). See page 4 of the file SDRanywhere.pdf

This is not true with my installed SDRanywhere Client-app.
I'm wondering if I did something wrong.

73!
Gerhard
OE1GCA

SCPD

QRT
Yes, I see what you mean now Gerhard.
Manual IP/PW entry seems still missing in the app.

You can still choose to list your server with password protection for the time being.
Otherwise you could try asking in the SDR-IQ Yahoo group.

Sounds like a good location in the cottage!

Paul
PD0PSB

SCPD

QRT
Two nice Android screenshots of contest bands (from a 7" tablet)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-12-23-29-52.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-12-23-29-52.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 1,039
  • Screenshot_2014-07-12-23-37-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-12-23-37-17.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,151

SCPD

QRT
More and more SDRs have been put online on the SDRAnywhere net.

Besides trusty SDR-IQs, some mysterious devices have appeared ranging from LF up into the GHz ranges...

Paul
PD0PSB

SCPD

QRT
This SDR gives a pretty good view on 200MHz Sats.
(Mac OSX)

Attachments

• 249Sat.jpg
    249Sat.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 838
Status
Not open for further replies.