SDRPlay SDRPlay Announces nRSP-ST Networked SDR Coming Soon

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Just stumbled across this on YouTube:

Link to information at SDRPlay website: nRSP-ST - SDRplay

Nice to see a networked (LAN or WiFi) SDR being developed. I'll watch development of this with great interest.
Hmmmm… just what I need, another toy. Already have a 1A and a duo, but I may just have to get one of these. I really like the idea of sitting in my recliner in the living room with my iPad playing SDR…

websherpa

Premium Subscriber
I was JUST going to set up either a miniPC or Raspberry Pi to go remote (makes a lot of sense for my preferred and changing listening areas)... now I may have to wait to see $$$

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
You can connect many SDR apps to a network based SDR. Not limited to USB method that only allows 1 app to connect to the SDR.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Assuming it will be 500$ that's 200$ more than the Duo. I hope it will offer more than just the network features.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I am curious about the Internet speeds required to achieve the different options. They show a speedometer icon with 1G at the LAN connection and then others at reduced rates as things stream over the Internet. Those exact speeds are important when considering infrastructure and what can be done, or not, over the Internet from the remote location. Latency is also a factor.

I am also wondering about power and if PoE is an option as well as the actual current draw.

My other concern is heat. I am figuring a small fan placed below the device will work, or if a passive heatsink would suffice and avoid potential RFI from the fan.

One should also presume various filters will be put inline on the antenna ports as needed to handle RFI.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
Hum, i think the "computer" is the network feature.
quote from nRSP-ST - SDRplay
A truly “plug and play” integrated, networked general coverage receiver:
  • Combines a receiver, a host computer and a whole lot more – all in one box!
Look at the KiwiSDR. It has 30MHz of visual spectrum on the internet. It also has a built-in computer with built-in LAN. nRSP will have the same 10MHz of visual spectrum.

An all-in-one SDR will be more expensive. LAN hardware needs a computer to work. The network feature is part of the built in computer.
Looking at the image of the nRSP it looks larger than the usb only RSP's. There is a full-fledged computer inside. You can't have just networking hardware without a computer. It is not logical to say "I think the computer is the network feature."

SDRPlay is very reputable. I am 100% positive it is worth $500.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
quote from nRSP-ST - SDRplay

Look at the KiwiSDR. It has 30MHz of visual spectrum on the internet. It also has a built-in computer with built-in LAN. nRSP will have the same 10MHz of visual spectrum.

An all-in-one SDR will be more expensive. LAN hardware needs a computer to work. The network feature is part of the built in computer.
Looking at the image of the nRSP it looks larger than the usb only RSP's. There is a full-fledged computer inside. You can't have just networking hardware without a computer. It is not logical to say "I think the computer is the network feature."

SDRPlay is very reputable. I am 100% positive it is worth $500.

Never said it was not worth the price. I got the Duo at the start of the pandemic and still use it so i am well aware of their reputation. I can access my 7610, 9700 and 8600 over LAN/Internet without the radio being connected to a computer. Not sure those radios are being sold as containing a buil-in computer. The interesting part is the fact that the new RSP will have a web server for configuring the SDR. I get that things like "Buil-in Computer" and "Web server" catches the eye and are good sellings points. It might be a question of semantics. At any rate it should be an interesting device.