SDRplay - DSDplus Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa2sqq

I'm using an SDRplay together with SDRuno. I'm also using DSDplus to decode digital modes. I'm finding that it can't decode DMR. I was told that SDRplay can't provide the I&Q channels using virtual audio cable software - supposedly a custom DLL file needs to be created.

DSDplus works just fine if I feed audio frm a conventional receivers discriminator tap.

Is anyone able to decode DMR using this equipment? Any suggestions?

slicerwizard

I'm using an SDRplay together with SDRuno. I'm also using DSDplus to decode digital modes. I'm finding that it can't decode DMR. I was told that SDRplay can't provide the I&Q channels using virtual audio cable software - supposedly a custom DLL file needs to be created.
DSD+ doesn't use I/Q data, so I don't see how that's relevant.

DSDplus works just fine if I feed audio frm a conventional receivers discriminator tap.

Then it should work fine if you feed it flat FM demodulated audio, so turn off de-emphasis and any other audio filtering.

brettbolt

Yes, I am using an SDRPlay with DSDPlus and can confirm it works.

Here is how I set it up:
1) Get SDR# and the RSP1 SDR# Plugin from sdrplay.com
2) Turn off 'Filter Audio' in SDR#. (It is 'on' by default so you need to do this).
3) Install 'VB-Cable'.
4) In SDR#, set it to output to VB-Cable.
5) In DSDPlus use the command line argument to get it to take the output from VB-Cable. On my computer, I use the following command 'dsdplus -o2'. (If you run dsdplus without any arguments it will give you the device numbers, and VB-Cable may be something other than 2 on your system).

Hope you get it working too.

Brett
N6BY

D

DaveNF2G

The problem is not necessarily the SDRPlay. The Uno software might not be configured to route the correct signals to external software.

bheisner

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I am using an SDRPlay with DSDPlus and can confirm it works.

Here is how I set it up:
1) Get SDR# and the RSP1 SDR# Plugin from sdrplay.com
2) Turn off 'Filter Audio' in SDR#. (It is 'on' by default so you need to do this).
3) Install 'VB-Cable'.
4) In SDR#, set it to output to VB-Cable.
5) In DSDPlus use the command line argument to get it to take the output from VB-Cable. On my computer, I use the following command 'dsdplus -o2'. (If you run dsdplus without any arguments it will give you the device numbers, and VB-Cable may be something other than 2 on your system).

Hope you get it working too.

Brett
N6BY

I finally managed to get DSD+ 1.101 to decode DMR with SDR Console 2.4 build 2760 and Virtual Audio Cable 4.14.

The key settings in SDR Console were:

Select the Audio drop down in the VFOA panel

set Playback Drive to Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)

Select the FM drop down in the DSP Options panel

set FM to FM Wide, Data (No filters, No de-emphasis)

DSD Plus is decoding fine now, however I'm able to hear any audio on my laptop speakers.

I'm also not getting an audio file written out, even though I specified on with the -O option.

These are the parameter that I specified at startup:

DSDPlus -i5 -o1 -E -O DMR.wav

DSD+ 1.101pt
Adding NAC/RAN/DCC/RAS data to event log file entries
Appending synthesized audio to file 'DMR.wav'
0 frequency records loaded
0 radio records loaded
0 group records loaded
0 site records loaded
0 network records loaded

audio input device #1 = 'Integrated Microphone Array (2-'
audio input device #2 = 'Rec. Playback (2- IDT High Defi'
audio input device #3 = 'Microphone (2- IDT High Definit'
audio input device #4 = 'Line In (2- IDT High Definition'
audio input device #5 = 'Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)'

audio output device #1 = 'Speakers / HP (2- IDT High Defi'
audio output device #2 = 'Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)'

audio input device #5 (Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)) initialized
audio output device #1 (Speakers / HP (2- IDT High Defi) initialized

D-STAR decoding enabled
NXDN4800 decoding enabled
NXDN9600 decoding enabled
DMR/MotoTRBO decoding enabled
P25 Phase 1 decoding enabled
X2-TDMA decoding enabled
ProVoice decoding enabled

NYG

Have you turned off de-emphasis in SDRuno?

If not, in the receiver control click EXW and click DEEM so it isn't highlighted.

Last edited:

bheisner

Premium Subscriber
Have you turned off de-emphasis in SDRuno?

If not, in the receiver control click EXW and click DEEM so it isn't highlighted.

I managed to get the audio working. I was monitoring a DMR channel that didn't have much activity

I just tuned to a P25 Phase 1 frequency on the Montgomery Country TRS here and I'm hearing decoded P25 audio through my speakers using with DSD+.

Last edited:

br0adband

Also ensure that you have the Windows audio mixer for the VB-Cable set so it's 16 bit 48 kHz as DSD+ requires that for input purposes - by default Windows tends to assign mixer inputs at 16 bit 44.1 kHz and that can make a difference and prevent successful decodes.

bheisner

Premium Subscriber
Also ensure that you have the Windows audio mixer for the VB-Cable set so it's 16 bit 48 kHz as DSD+ requires that for input purposes - by default Windows tends to assign mixer inputs at 16 bit 44.1 kHz and that can make a difference and prevent successful decodes.

Just a FYI. The default version 4.14 seems to be 48 kHz now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.