SDRPlay should invest in writing software for thier product like Elad does for the FD

Status
Not open for further replies.

smason

Are you Smason also Paul? Maybe you're having identity crisis also. It must be the stress.

Huh? I think you may be confused.
I just came in to comment on Cubic. I was gonna agree that Yousseff is a db, but it's been covered enough. :)
I do agree with most of what you've posted in this thread.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I see this situation differently as I bought a couple of SDR products from Ettus Research, now part of National Instruments. The USRP1 and USRP2 are hardware-only products that provide drivers for GNURadio and other software. Ettus Research makes commercial SDR hardware used by governments, educational institutions, and hobbyists that depends on other developer's software. I see Airspy, SDRPlay, and FDM-S2 in the same way. I pay for the hardware, and I can use any supported software I want.

I get the impression that SDRPlay is like other providers of SDR hardware, a small group of hardware engineers, likely hams, that formed a company to sell a hardware product. They provide the same support as other products from like companies, but it seems like they have a higher bar to clear because their product is more successful than others. I find it interesting that it is okay for RTL-SDR to depend on other people's hardware, and Ettus Research, Funcube, Thumbsat, HackRF, etc..., to depend on other people's software, but SDRPlay are considered "freeloaders" for the exact same business plan.

Yousseff can benefit and do what he wants with SDRSharp. Right now it is free software. It seems he wants to get rid of some "free riders", but not others. He developed code to cripple added frontend plugins. He eliminated ExtIO support. He does have the right to support only the hardware platforms he wants to support. Users have to live with the results of his decisions, like RFSpace SDR-14 users. If you want to run the latest SDRSharp, then buy fully supported hardware, like the RFSpace SDR-IQ.

What I take issue with is the attempt to expunge the world of old SDRSharp releases and source code. He released Version 1361 under both an open source and restricted license. He can not take that release back and claim anyone providing it as stealing or pirating his code. The decision was made to drop support for Windows XP in his product. He can not prevent users from using an old release instead of upgrading from Windows XP.

I can understand why Yousseff is very protective of his creative effort as there has been attempts to improve SDRSharp that broke the license conditions. I still think he does not fully understand what is allowable under the licensing he used, and that license changes can not be retroactively applied. There was a time period where all the SDRSharp code was under the MIT license, which is apparently what he did not want happen.

73 Eric

Last edited:

Flatliner

Huh? I think you may be confused.
I just came in to comment on Cubic. I was gonna agree that Yousseff is a db, but it's been covered enough. :)
I do agree with most of what you've posted in this thread.

pd0swl's name is Paul. He replied to my post to you, hence me asking him if he was having an identity crisis. :D

Voyager

So, people are "freeriders" now. Interesting. Those words easily could have come out of the mouth of Youseff himself. Which isn't surprising as your replies are virtually only to defend him

And your posts are virtually only to criticize him - a pot/kettle case? You know, the more I read your posts, the more inclined I am to agree with him. If you are reacting this way, I can only imagine some of the things that were coming from those directly and financially affected by the change. The corporate sabotage threat was made publicly. I can only imagine what was said in private.

atouk

The decision was made to drop support for Windows XP in his product. He can not prevent users from using an old release instead of upgrading from Windows XP.

XP support was dropped because of updating to a newer version of Visual Studio, and a more recent .NET (5.3) release. Lack XP support is because of a MS decision not to make any further .NET updates available to XP, not a decision by Youssef to abandon XP users. The development platform and API (MS products) itself is responsible for loss of support.

Since the plugins are built using the same tools, current plugins are now incompatible with older versions of SDR#. This was not done to freeze out XP users.

Voyager

The decision was made to drop support for Windows XP in his product.

Can you provide a citation for that? My understanding is that it was Microsoft who dropped XP support in .NET 4.6, so anyone using .NET 4.6 (like Youssef) has no say in the matter.

What I am contending is that it was not Youssef's decision to drop XP, but that was forced on him by Microsoft by his upgrade of the version of .NET (which, as I understand it, was done in order to implement new features).

Flatliner

And your posts are virtually only to criticize him - a pot/kettle case? You know, the more I read your posts, the more inclined I am to agree with him. If you are reacting this way, I can only imagine some of the things that were coming from those directly and financially affected by the change. The corporate sabotage threat was made publicly. I can only imagine what was said in private.

Yes, I have made several critiques of Youseff, and I am glad that you've kept up this far. Being an SDR forum, this is probably a sensible place to demonstrate this, towards the SDR manufacturer. Being an SDR forum. Do to with SDRs. Where SDR radio is discussed.

Trying to belittle such a poster, because they have criticised an SDR manufacturer, seems a little odd. But as Voltaire once wrote... well, you know what he wrote. Don't you?

You are correct, there does appear to be considerable disdain towards Yuosef. What could he have done wrong? And such a gentlemen too.

What is also odd is that the words of a stranger on your screen, has altered your opinion of said manufacturers business practices. And who said that one man can't make a difference...

SCPD

QRT
Yes, I have made several critiques of Youseff, and I am glad that you've kept up this far. Being an SDR forum, this is probably a sensible place to demonstrate this, towards the SDR manufacturer. Being an SDR forum. Do to with SDRs. Where SDR radio is discussed.

Trying to belittle such a poster, because they have criticised an SDR manufacturer, seems a little odd. But as Voltaire once wrote... well, you know what he wrote. Don't you?

You are correct, there does appear to be considerable disdain towards Yuosef. What could he have done wrong? And such a gentlemen too.

What is also odd is that the words of a stranger on your screen, has altered your opinion of said manufacturers business practices. And who said that one man can't make a difference...

While we are cosily chatting away in our psychology forum,
you are still putting all your "psychological skills" on the table here to convince others of your oh so reasonable right ;-)

Well it's nice to have some practical examples to observe for our forum anyway.

Last edited:

Voyager

I'm sure you have made a difference - no doubt there. But exactly what difference is under question. While you are no doubt driving some away from SDR#, you are driving others toward SDR# through your seemingly endless crusade. I have little doubt Youssef has gained sympathy through your tirade. I am also gaining respect for him as I see some glimpse of what he may be dealing with, and understanding of why he may have decided some causes are not worthy of his time and efforts.

As for your posts, a key phrase has come to mind over the last few pages:

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." (not calling you a lady)

Translation: For someone who says they don't care about his products, you sure seem upset that you cannot use them.

Either you have a severe personal grudge, or you have some other vested interest. You say there is no vested interest, so what else am I to believe is driving this thread but your personal crusade against one man. Doing that on this forum is distasteful, and that leads me to want to side with Youssef.

If you really don't care for him, or his products, just move on and enjoy life using some other products.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Can you provide a citation for that? My understanding is that it was Microsoft who dropped XP support in .NET 4.6, so anyone using .NET 4.6 (like Youssef) has no say in the matter.

What I am contending is that it was not Youssef's decision to drop XP, but that was forced on him by Microsoft by his upgrade of the version of .NET (which, as I understand it, was done in order to implement new features).
Hello,

Adopting .Net 4.6 to develop new features and not providing an earlier version that works under Windows XP. The impact depends on how many users are still using Windows XP.

Since .Net 4.6 does not support Windows XP, then Windows XP support was dropped. It was not Microsoft's decision to move SDRSharp to .Net 4.6.

.Net 3.5 still works under Windows 10, and it is possible to target earlier versions of the .NET Framework in VS 2015, so Microsoft is not forcing anyone to upgrade.

So it was the developer's decision to drop Windows XP to support new features.

If I was in a like situation, I might consider moving from .Net 3.5 to .Net 4.0 based on past experience. .Net 4.0 still works in Windows XP. Again this would be based on how many users are still using Windows XP.

I have seen this problem developing commercial software. My employer looked at the userbase and saw that very few people upgraded to the new version of Windows at the time. We were able to address current issues. We added improvements to take advantage of the new version of Windows as more of the userbase migrated.

73 Eric

Voyager

I guess we will agree to disagree. But, I too am an XP user - especially for applications such as SDR monitoring. But, I've also been working with a handicap on the Airspy for a year, as my XP machines would not support the 10 MSPS.

So, I was forced to update those machines, and now I love the full bandwidth display. I guess Youssef did me a favor by the forced upgrade.

I don't know what features required .NET 4.6, but what I posted is what I heard.

Age old dilemma - how old equipment do you support? Some would say Win7 machines should be replaced.

Personally, I still miss the DOS support of Windows 98.

atouk

No matter what the reason, decisions on upgrading software architecture will invariably cause some hardware or software to become incompatible or unusable.

Disappointing some people is inevitable. But from the reading posts here, disappointing Flatliner is unforgivable.

Flatliner

I'm sure you have made a difference - no doubt there. But exactly what difference is under question. While you are no doubt driving some away from SDR#, you are driving others toward SDR# through your seemingly endless crusade. I have little doubt Youssef has gained sympathy through your tirade. I am also gaining respect for him as I see some glimpse of what he may be dealing with, and understanding of why he may have decided some causes are not worthy of his time and efforts.

As for your posts, a key phrase has come to mind over the last few pages:

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." (not calling you a lady)

Translation: For someone who says they don't care about his products, you sure seem upset that you cannot use them.

Either you have a severe personal grudge, or you have some other vested interest. You say there is no vested interest, so what else am I to believe is driving this thread but your personal crusade against one man. Doing that on this forum is distasteful, and that leads me to want to side with Youssef.

If you really don't care for him, or his products, just move on and enjoy life using some other products.

Thank you for explaining Shakespeare to me. Obviously being British, I will have no idea what our writer meant. Did you know that walking around his home can make you feel sea-sick? It’s the uneven flooring. Very weird.

The rest of your post seems to be repetition of what you’ve already said. No reiteration is necessary. Let’s avoid that, otherwise this thread will soon become boring.

So, I’m a crusader now, as well as a freerider. Thank you for the promotion.

Meanwhile, in SDR world, where it’s more interesting…

Let’s clarify a couple of fallacies recently issued from the Ministry of Misinformation.

1) There was no need to drop XP. Many developers provide older versions of their software, even if they are no longer supported, but instead, Youseff (there’s his name again, don’t get excited) has done everything possible (which isn’t much) to sterilize the internet of these old versions. If someone dares to supply another enthusiast with an old copy, they are “named and shamed”, and their picture, displayed. Show me another business that would act in such a despicable manner.

"sdrsharp ‏@sdrsharp Oct 12
After the threatening, now they are distributing bootleg software on forums. #sdrmafia #crap" [photo]

Maybe that person should claim copyright on his photograph.

2) .Net 4x has NOTHING to do with EXTIO. This was dropped because it was no longer desirable to allow enthusiasts a choice of SDR with SDR#, especially since the RSP reached places that other SDRs couldn’t reach.

But feel free to carry on with the pretence that Yoosuff is somehow the underdog, while he spends your money on cheap cigarettes and hair dye. Because, and be honest with yourselves, you’re more likely to use his hardware now that the RSP was dropped. It seems that he gotcha!

Have a super day!

SCPD

QRT
they are “named and shamed”, and their picture, displayed. Show me another business that would act in such a despicable manner.
"sdrsharp ‏@sdrsharp Oct 12

Ehm, Twitter consists 80% of retweeted screendumps and URLs as pointers to other web pages...

But feel free to carry on with the pretence that Yoosuff is somehow the underdog, while he spends your money on cheap cigarettes and hair dye. Because, and be honest with yourselves, you’re more likely to use his hardware now that the RSP was dropped. It seems that he gotcha!

It was all an Evil plan to overthrow the world of civilized enthusiats and true gentlemen.

Last edited:

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
I guess we will agree to disagree. But, I too am an XP user - especially for applications such as SDR monitoring. But, I've also been working with a handicap on the Airspy for a year, as my XP machines would not support the 10 MSPS.

So, I was forced to update those machines, and now I love the full bandwidth display. I guess Youssef did me a favor by the forced upgrade.

I don't know what features required .NET 4.6, but what I posted is what I heard.

Age old dilemma - how old equipment do you support? Some would say Win7 machines should be replaced.

Personally, I still miss the DOS support of Windows 98.
Hello,

My comments about dropping Windows XP support was more an observation than an accusation. I understand the dilemma of old OS support. I mostly run Windows 7 on my machines.

I would fault the lack of more fully informing the users about the change to .Net 4.6. The website mentions about other hardware working with a restricted feature set, but elimination of ExtIO and XP support are not mentioned. This took some users by surprise going by posts in the RTL-SDR forums.

73 Eric

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
And once again another thread has degenerated into name calling and accusations.

Thread closed.

Just for the record, I do not have a dog in this fight as they say.

I own an RTL dongle that I rarely use. There is no direction from the site's management that we favour one one particular vendor over another. Frankly, I have no idea what the issue is, why it is causing such high emotions and why members feel the need to create duplicate accounts in order to help bolster their arguments?

There was a lot of good technical discussion in this thread. If I get some time later, I'll go through the thread and clean up the non-technical posts and reopen the thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.