SDRTRUNK Advice

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I am wanting to monitor a P25 Phase 2 system here in Mississippi (MSWIN) 769-775MHz and was wondering how many dongles I need to monitor this system?

I currently have 1 dongle and have SDRTrunk installed but it seems like im missing a ton of traffic. I have my SDS100 beside me on my desk monitoring the same system. any idea's why im missing a ton of traffic?

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Two at a min. If you see "tuner not avail" messages, that means the radio conversation was trunked to a frequency your SDR dongle can't tune to due to bandwidth limitations. I run 2 SDR receivers on my calls platform using SDR trunk and have very minimal issues.
Try 2 and see how it goes.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The answer depends entirely on which site(s) you're decoding. A standard RTL dongle is capable of covering roughly 2.4 MHz of continuous spectrum. If the site uses channels which are all within 2.4 MHz of each other (e.g. 769.40625 to 771.80625), you may be able to get away with one dongle. If the channels use span more than 2.4 MHz (e.g. some channels in the 769 range and others in the 773-774 range), then you will need at least two dongles, possibly even three. to cover all of 769-775.

Or you can instead go with an Airspy R2, which will cover all of 769-775, or an Airspy Mini which may also be sufficient to cover the frequency spread.

Two at a min. If you see "tuner not avail" messages, that means the radio conversation was trunked to a frequency your SDR dongle can't tune to due to bandwidth limitations. I run 2 SDR receivers on my calls platform using SDR trunk and have very minimal issues.
Try 2 and see how it goes.
Do you use a usb hub for the 2 dongle setup?