SDRTrunk and Montgomery County, MD

Status
Not open for further replies.

KN4XW

I have downloaded SDRTrunk to receive Montgomery County's trunked system which is now in Phase 2. There is no direct download of Talk Groups from RR for this or am I just missing it? Other counties download but not MoCo.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I have downloaded SDRTrunk to receive Montgomery County's trunked system which is now in Phase 2. There is no direct download of Talk Groups from RR for this or am I just missing it? Other counties download but not MoCo.
There is if you have a paid rr account

KN4XW

I do have a paid account. It just downloaded, where it didn't before. Who knows why, but now I'm getting two different channels in each earbud.

atlong

Database Admin
There are TWO systems for Montgomery County Public Safety. The P16 (now or soon to be deprecated) and the active P25 system. While I'm not familiar with the software you're using, could it possibly be trying to utilize both systems?

Last edited:

KN4XW

There are TWO systems for Montgomery County Public Safety. The P16 (now or soon to be deprecated) and the active P25 system. While I'm not familiar with the software you're using, could it possibly be trying to utilize both systems?
You may be on to something. When I look at the waterfall screen I can see that both systems are working even though I specified that I want Phase 1. I can't get anything on P2. However, it appears that I am decoding both P1 and P2 (see attachment) and each is going to a different speaker (see waterfall screen left and right.) I am using 2 dongles with windows 10.

Attachments

• Doc1.pdf
    528.2 KB · Views: 10

atlong

Database Admin
Also remember Phase II systems can also operate in Phase I mode if a non-Phase II capable radio affiliates(this would be on a per TG level, not the entire system). If that happens, the entire TG and all affiliated radios will fall back to Phase I type operations. There was another post in another thread about 7A1, 7A2 and some of the PD TG's operating in Phase I mode quite a bit lately. That could be what you're seeing there.

KN4XW

This sounds plausible. I may try to blacklist some TGs and see what happens. Are you on DMR? I am active on MD 3124 and VA 3151. Give a shout if you see me.
Larry KN4XW

maus92

Premium Subscriber
SDRTrunk does not decode SmartZone.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
You may be on to something. When I look at the waterfall screen I can see that both systems are working even though I specified that I want Phase 1. I can't get anything on P2. However, it appears that I am decoding both P1 and P2 (see attachment) and each is going to a different speaker (see waterfall screen left and right.) I am using 2 dongles with windows 10.
The default config for SDRTrunk will use both the left and right audio channels. If 3 VFOs are available for audio and the voice VFO on the dongle that is being used for the control channel is within ~+/- 1 MHZ of the control channel frequency, you *might* get mixing of 2 tgs on one audio channel. You are not hearing the P16 system as SDRTrunk cannot decode its control channel, thus would not know what frequency to tune a voice VFO.

dwlipp

Premium Subscriber
Also, the P16 is dead, like in completely shut down and substantially disassembled dead. No one is hearing the MC P16 system anymore.

I know nothing about SDRTrunk, but I can say definitively that no one is hearing the MC P16 system regardless of device or capabilities.

Also, all the shared FD talkgroups in zone A run with FDMA modulation 100% of the time; the shared talkgroups in the other zones are configured for DDM so they may or may not be FDMA at any given moment depending on what radios are affiliated.

Dallas

KN4XW

Also, the P16 is dead, like in completely shut down and substantially disassembled dead. No one is hearing the MC P16 system anymore.

I know nothing about SDRTrunk, but I can say definitively that no one is hearing the MC P16 system regardless of device or capabilities.

Also, all the shared FD talkgroups in zone A run with FDMA modulation 100% of the time; the shared talkgroups in the other zones are configured for DDM so they may or may not be FDMA at any given moment depending on what radios are affiliated.

Dallas
Thanks Dallas. Solid info.

Status
Not open for further replies.