SDRtrunk and Pi 4 (4GB(

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
just wanted to report here i managed to get SDRtrunk installed on a raspberry pi 4 with 4gb of ram. the standard pi 4 processor is about 1.5Ghz and I overclocked this booger to 2.3Ghz. I was able to get the software to run and lock onto a control channel but the Pi 4 just didnt have enough horsepower to properly decode traffic. im no pi professional and could be doing something wrong but it didnt work so well for me. I even added an ice tower to keep it cool. picture below.
Screenshot 2023-03-13 145201.jpg

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Probably would be a good idea to turn the clock back down to stock speed though. Even with that cooler, I can't imagine it's going to run stable, or be able to power itself and the USB devices properly at that clock.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
What's htop or whichever task manager reporting the CPU usage as when SDRtrunk is running with the CC active on it. Is it pegged at 100% or nearly 100%? If so, then definitely try out OP25, it can run with a lot less horsepower, but it does have a bit of a learning curve to get set up properly. Other considerations include which type of system you are trying to decode will determine if you need to specify additional frequencies mapped in as channels, and also signal stregnth. If signal is bad, then that could cause your issues with no traffic channel decoding. Its a lot easier to get locks on a control channel and get some partial decoding, than it is to stay on a traffic channel and get clean voice decoding.

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
What's htop or whichever task manager reporting the CPU usage as when SDRtrunk is running with the CC active on it. Is it pegged at 100% or nearly 100%? If so, then definitely try out OP25, it can run with a lot less horsepower, but it does have a bit of a learning curve to get set up properly. Other considerations include which type of system you are trying to decode will determine if you need to specify additional frequencies mapped in as channels, and also signal stregnth. If signal is bad, then that could cause your issues with no traffic channel decoding. Its a lot easier to get locks on a control channel and get some partial decoding, than it is to stay on a traffic channel and get clean voice decoding.
quiet often the CPU is topping out at 100%. i can lock onto the control channel just fine but the messages are scrolling by very slowly like the system cant keep up. i can see calls but no audio. guess it's just running out of horse power. thats my guess.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I hope that's not the rig that you have been using when you posted on other threads about not receiving anything using SDRT. That would be the reason.

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
I hope that's not the rig that you have been using when you posted on other threads about not receiving anything using SDRT. That would be the reason.
It’s not, I was using a 64 bit pc and it’s working now perfectly. I was just trying to see if a pi had enough horsepower

moustache

I am running the same PI 4 with DragonOS Pi64 with sdrtrunk and it runs just fine. However I turned the channels number down to 2, and am using the heterodyne channelizer, it runs and decodes just fine.