SDRTrunk SDRTrunk Control Channel Only monitoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
I'm just moving over from UniTrunker to SDRTrunk. Monitoring a very large P25 system.

I am wanting to monitor the Control Channel, but have all calls listed in the "Now Playing" tab, even if there are not enough tuners to tune all of the channels. In fact, I don't mind if SDRTrunk does none of the decoding - I just want to have a view of all the channels / talkgroups that are active at any given moment.

Presently if a channel that is out of range of the Control Channel becomes active, the Events windows displays "Group Call - Rejected", but the group call doesn't show up at all on the upper "Now Playing" window.

Is there a way I change this behaviour?
TIA,
Rob

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
No. The primary purpose of SDRTrunk is to decode traffic channels, not to act as a control channel logger. If there is no tuner/dongle available to tune to a traffic channel, then SDRTrunk will not create a dynamic channel, and thus you will not see that activity in the Now Playing window.

If you are only concerned with seeing real time channel activity and/or logging system activity, stick with Unitrunker, as that is what it excels at.

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
OK, thanks. Thought I was perhaps missing an option somewhere. Would be great if it had a CC Monitoring / Logging option.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Can't you just set the Max Traffic Channels to 0, turn on logging for all the options, and turn off all recording. Then you can start the system, highlight it, and alternate between all the Details, Events, and Messages tabs at the bottom to see things as they are happening. Wouldn't this be the same type of thing. I'm not currently set up to monitor any P25 traffic to compare, but wouldn't this set up show you the activity on the control channel without needing additional tuners? I'm thinking if you keep it on the Events tab at the bottom, won't it show the call history?

sdrtrunk-monitoring.png

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
That's a good suggestion. I just tried it. While nothing shows in the "Now Playing" window, I'm seeing the regular channel activity in the Events Window (which I have resized to almost fill the screen). Not sure it is as obvious as simple to understand at a glance as UniTrunker, but is certainly providing the info I want without all the "Group call rejected" messages!

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
That's a good suggestion. I just tried it. While nothing shows in the "Now Playing" window, I'm seeing the regular channel activity in the Events Window (which I have resized to almost fill the screen). Not sure it is as obvious as simple to understand at a glance as UniTrunker, but is certainly providing the info I want without all the "Group call rejected" messages!

Well, that's good that you were able to get a set up to your liking at any rate. Yeah, when you're so used to using one piece of software and move to another, things aren't always the most obvious on how to use it, etc. Its the exact opposite for me, when I open Unitrunker, I see a mess of things to click on, and none of them are obvious to me.

If you turn logging on, you can also click on View -> Logs & Recordings, then open the event_logs folder and get a text file of the same stuff in the events folder if you wish to look through it later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.