SDRtrunk "fade"

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
Can someone explain what is happening when i see FADE on SDRtrunk? I am thinking it's signal related but I have a pretty good signal I'm thinking. I've attached a snip of the Peak and Power levels when this is happening.

Any help would be much appreciated.
power level.jpg

maus92

Premium Subscriber
SDRTrunk will show Fade on poor quality signals. I have a dying Airspy R2 - it shows Fade on a system that is received normally using another Airspy R2 that I own. Side note: the failing R2 is just 4 months old. I contacted Airspy.us about warranty service. Besides complaining to me that Gmail is rejecting their domain sendmail address (airspy@airspy.us) as spam - and I should approach Google to resolve that issue - they want $50 from me to initiate an RMA. Unbelievably bad customer service.

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
SDRTrunk will show Fade on poor quality signals. I have a dying Airspy R2 - it shows Fade on a system that is received normally using another Airspy R2 that I own. Side note: the failing R2 is just 4 months old. I contacted Airspy.us about warranty service. Besides complaining to me that Gmail is rejecting their domain sendmail address (airspy@airspy.us) as spam - and I should approach Google to resolve that issue - they want $50 from me to initiate an RMA. Unbelievably bad customer service.
what range is considered a good signal? I figured -38 to -40 would be a decent signal

maus92

Premium Subscriber
It is - that RSSI bar depicts the relative strength of the control channel. You would need to watch for the frequencies that correspond with the Fade indication. Perhaps your gain is set too high? Interference from a nearby transmitter?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I'm sure you know who Airspy.us is run by...one man show...maybe he's too busy not getting any Uniden issued fixed to bother with you??? Anyway, I'm not at all surprised to hear he treats customers badly. Hopefully Uniden will dispense with the charade of propping him up as their mouthpiece soon enough.