SDRTrunk SDRTrunk Hold, Delay, Scan Features?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanesFan95

The audio quailty of this software blows DSD+ away, hands down. But is there a way to hold on a single talk group? And, is there a delay setting so it won't keeping jumping to different conversations?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
No, and no.

You can manage what you hear by either disabling Listen for talkgroups you're not interested in, or setting a higher priority for stuff that you want to listen to. It might also be helpful to change the output audio from stereo to mono. Ultimately, however, SDRTrunk will decode and output as much audio as it can.

If you want to really control what you're hearing, run Trunking Recorder on top of SDRTrunk and listen through the web interface.

CanesFan95

I wish the DSD+ and SDRTrunk folks would like combine forces or something and get together and share their code. Whatever SDRTrunk does to decode audio, it's amazing. Way better than DSD+.

So if SDRTrunk doesn't let you hold on a talk group, then that basically means it doesn't to trunktracking. It's not a lot different than back in the day before we had trunking scanners when all you could do was conventionally scan the frequencies. SDRTrunk basically jumps around the same way and doesn't stay on a conversation.

It's such a shame, cause God that audio clarity is spectacular. I also wish it had a dark mode instead of all those bright white screens.

Is there a way to search a range or to quickly type in a frequency for listening?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
So if SDRTrunk doesn't let you hold on a talk group, then that basically means it doesn't to trunktracking. It's not a lot different than back in the day before we had trunking scanners when all you could do was conventionally scan the frequencies. SDRTrunk basically jumps around the same way and doesn't stay on a conversation.
That's not accurate. SDRTrunk will indeed "trunk track" a system, but it does so across the entire spectrum that your dongle(s) can receive. A traditional scanner or even a real subscriber radio has a single receiver, so it's limited to being able to only receive a single transmission at a time. That's why scanners and radios must return to the control channel after each transmission's hang time expires, so they can continue to decode the talkgroup grants, then tuning to the voice channels, and so on. DSD+ single-receiver mode works the same way, leaving the control channel to jump to a voice channel.

SDRTrunk, in contrast, receives the control channel and voice channels simultaneously, as it uses the full available bandwidth of a dongle to "see" at least 2.4 MHz of contiguous spectrum at a time. Add more dongles, and you increase the amount of spectrum visible to SDRTrunk. This allows the software to ingest multiple transmissions simultaneously, rather than being limited to a single transmission at any given time.

It seems that you didn't quite read and/or process my last post. I explained that there are some options available, including disabling listen on talkgroups you're not interested in hearing, or adjusting the priority so that the talkgroups you care about most are interrupted less often. The key to getting the most out of SDRTrunk is to run Trunking Recorder to import the recordings, which has a dark themed interface and allows you to select specific talkgroups to listen to, and to sort them in "smart" order so that transmissions from the same talkgroups are grouped together while playing. I would suggest that you do some research so that you have a better understanding.

jjbllitz

Premium Subscriber
I was reading through the SDRTrunk software pipeline today and remember seeing something there about a hold function being added. Not in the software yet, but sounds like it is coming.

CanesFan95

So if you use this Trunking Recorder, is that basically where you're playing back recordings shortly after each transmission?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

msingewald

Premium Subscriber
This software utilizes a completely different approach to "scanning". Instead of using a typical scanner that scans one voice call at a time, it wants you to record multiple voice calls simultaneously, and either play them back selectively later or monitor particular ones near real time, both using the Trunking Recorder software.

Now that I have used it a bit, I love it and cannot go back to the old way of doing it. For the best capabilities, you will need multiple SDRs, but at $25 each, it is inconsequential compared to buying another scanner to get more simultaneous voice channels.

rlmurray56

Feed Provider
For the OP....if you want to "hold" on a single ialkgroup, you can also use the boatbod fork of OP25, which also has amazing audio. You can run it on a linux box or on a Raspberry Pi. I run two instances of it on a single Pi4. It has a "hold" feature that can be enabled or disabled for any TG from the screen at anytime. Good Luck.

air-scan

For some reason for a long time the SDRTrunk developer has had requests for these features but they haven't been seen implemented for a long time. There is nothing wrong requesting for features. I will thoroughly enjoy a hold on talk group feature. Those who don't want changes are afraid of change and will say to mute unwanted talk groups and be happy with it. That doesn't fly! We would like to have the feature for more interesting radio traffic until it ends then resume the 'scanning of talk groups'. Why it hasn't happened to materialize is beyond me.

It is after all on a volunteer basis for sharing SDRTrunk by it's owner/developer whom are the same. From one or a few individuals here at RR it seems we get fed the attitude "wish in one and hold bees in another see what you get the most". Looks to me like "I am scared it'll mess it up so I say no and take what you can get or given". That has got to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.