SDRTRUNK Streaming to phone on LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

walt991

Is it possible to stream SDRTRUNK to an iPhone or a computer web browser across a LAN?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If you only care about the audio from whatever talkgroup is currently active, you can use RadioFeed. You will likley need to pipe SDRTrunk's audio to a virtual cable for that to work.

If you want a more full experience where you can see all of the activity and filter by talkgroup, etc. then run Trunking Recorder alongside SDRTrunk and set it up to import the recordings from SDRTrunk.

walt991

I am running Trunking recorder and it works great, but I need something that will work even when my phone screen is off. I tried Radio Feed but it doesn’t work because my server doesn’t have a sound card and I cannot configure RadioFeEd without a sound card.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Install this VB cable: VB-Audio Virtual Apps

After installation, you will have something to point SDRTrunk's output to, and RadioFeed's input to. Works great, I use it myself.

walt991

Thanks, but that doesn’t seem to work either since my server doesn’t have an audio card or any sound drivers.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It doesn't need a sound card, that's what the virtual cable is for. It creates a virtual audio device that creates a pipe between the two programs. No physical sound card is required. Did you try installing it?

walt991

Yes, I installed it, and rebooted the server, but no vb option shows in Sdrtrunk.

walt991

It doesn't need a sound card, that's what the virtual cable is for. It creates a virtual audio device that creates a pipe between the two programs. No physical sound card is required. Did you try installing it?
I got it working. I had to go directly into the console to make the vb audio work. It doesn’t work using Remote Desktop. Thanks for the help!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Ah yeah, Remote Desktop likes to screw with the audio when you're in a remote session. Glad you got it working, enjoy.

a417

Ah yeah, Remote Desktop likes to screw with the audio when you're in a remote session. Glad you got it working, enjoy.
Untitled.png
Sometimes this works with apps that have issues with remoted audio output. The 1st two options seem to do the most toying with the audio devices and pathing, the 3rd one just plays it locally.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Sometimes that helps, but you can still run into issues with RDC hijacking audio connections, even causing some software to crash if it can no longer gain exclusive control of an audio device. I gave up and use Splashtop or TightVNC instead.

a417

I agree. I want to just say "why can't you leave that alone, Microsoft?" when it makes an unreasonable mess of a relatively simple concept.

da2ricky

Sometimes that helps, but you can still run into issues with RDC hijacking audio connections, even causing some software to crash if it can no longer gain exclusive control of an audio device. I gave up and use Splashtop or TightVNC instead.

I ran into issues with the Playlist editor and Preferences window showing up blank using RDP. Switched to TightVNC and the issue went away... WEIRD!

waterbwuk

Feed Provider
I just use Zello (It's not LAN, but it is private). Install VB Audio Cable, set SDRTrunk to play out to the virtual cable, have Zello capture the virtual cable audio and broadcast it out. There is an audio delay of maybe 1 second or so from what is being played on the computer. When you are connected on Zello through your iPhone, it records the audio also so if you didn't understand something you can go back and re-play it easily.

Here are some instructions I typed up:

• Create two Zello accounts using two different email addresses.
  • Install Zello on your desktop that has SDRTrunk. Log in and go to settings.
  • Go to the "Audio" and set the recording device to your VB Audio cable.
  • Go to the "VOX" tab and enable VOX.

On this part, you need to play with the settings to get it just right. If it isn't perfect then it won't capture anything at all. Here are my settings for example:
Code:
Activation threshold: -75 dB
De-activation threshold: -75 dB
Trigger time: 100
Relaxation time: 800
If you are having problems, make sure to check simple things like if SDRTrunk is set to play back to the correct audio cable.

• Open Zello and create a private channel, name it whatever you want. Make sure it is highlighted so it is broadcasting to there.
  • On the bottom of Zello, there is a little Microphone icon and a Lock icon, click the lock icon so that it is red.

The red lock icon means it is capturing anything coming in on your VB audio cable (as long as it's being picked up by the settings from the VOX tab), and broadcasting it to your private channel.

Now on to the iPhone:
  • Go to the App Store and install Zello.
  • Open it and log in with your other account.
  • On your desktop, invite your second account to your private channel.
  • On your iPhone, accept the invite and join the channel.
  • You have to make sure the "Power" icon at the top is green so that it is connected.

walt991

What is the method used to determine the number of tuners needed to cover a P25 system?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
One RTL dongle will cover roughly a 2.4 MHz continuous block of spectrum. List all of the frequencies used on the site you want to decode, and figure out how far apart the lowest and highest frequencies are. If they are >2.4 MHz, then you'll need at least two dongles. Divide the frequencies into groups of no more than 2.4 MHz from lowest to highest frequency. Keep doing that until all groups are within a 2.4 MHz span, and that is how many dongles you'll need to cover the control channel and all traffic channels at any given time.

walt991

Will Trunking Recorder still play calls even when the android screen is off? It appears that the screen has to be running with the web browser running to auto play calls.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.