SDS?00 and MPT-1327

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdaykoloa

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering what prevents a scanner such as the SDS-100 or SDS-200 from being able to trunk-track MPT-1327 -- is it purely an economic decision, that is, the cost of development versus the cost of perceived income from those who would pay for the feature?

Or are there specific technical limitations that prevent even a more software-based scanner such as the SDS series from being able to do this?

I know there are software packages available separately that can do this, but I'm wondering what the limitations may be that are preventing someone like Uniden from rolling out support for this (with the anticipated extra license fee cost, as they do for DMR/ProVoice/etc)...

Any thoughts? I'm sure I'm missing something...

Ubbe

MPT1327 are not a difficult system to code into a scanners firmware as it is analog and use a dedicated control channel, almost as analog trunked Motorola in compexity. If there are memory left in the firmware then it should be an easy job to do. But it probably doesn't increase enough sales to justify the development costs.

There are programs you run on a PC and have one scanner monitoring the control channel that the program decodes and then you have another scanner that can be computer controlled that you have scanning as you usually do. When you have configured the program with the talk groups you would like to monitor it will interupt the scanning and send that scanner to the voice channel and the computer screen will display the TG info and user IDs and depending of the scanner it will also be displayed on the scanner. After the call clears down the scanner continues its normal scanning routine. As the control channels data speed are fairly low most scanners loudspeaker jacks can be used without the hassle of doing a discriminator tap. The program I used together with a UBC780 was called TrunkSnort. It would automaticly populate the config file with all TG's and ID's it decoded in different folders or branches for each company group in a tree diagram where you ticked boxes at different levels to select what to monitor.

/Ubbe

gdaykoloa

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Ubbe - yeah, I've seen several PC based solutions to this problem, and had a go with my HackRF for some of them (but not MPT-1327). I'm just mostly curious about why it is that no handheld or desktop unit seems to do this out of the box.

Hey, Uniden, if you're reading: I'd pay money for this to be added to the (U)SDS-100 in a firmware update!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Unfortunately it's not likely to happen. Here in the States, while there's a few MPT1327 systems, there's so few that there's little demand for the mode in scanners....Mike

Cantafordit

Add my name to that list Uniden, I have a few MPT1327 systems near me and I would love to be able to track them on my SDS100.
It can't be that hard to add it in a firmware update, surely its easy enough for it to be free ;):).

ludek-brno

If there is a demand, why not?
MPT / TETRA DMO-TMO.
We'll pay for it!

It is not important what systems are used in the United States or Canada.
What about Europe + Russia, NZ + Australia, Japan?
You are too close to everything that is not for the US, but why the problem is available for other regional versions of X36 and SDS scanners.
If I want to earn money, I have to do something about it and the demand from the world is!
MPT trunks are already being replaced by DMR or Tetra Network.

Uniden's firmware impotence for SDS scanners is terrible and Upman's blog is not optimistic for me.
Sorry, but that's my opinion and you don't have to agree with me.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As I mentioned earlier, there's not all that many 1327 systems in the US - thus little if any demand for it....Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.