SDS100/SDS200: SDS 100…Still Learning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Well. Here I am at a little over three months out still learning about and to some degree “wrestling” with this radio! First off (and again) I’d like to thank the many fine folks on here for their assistance with things such as changing mode from “NFM” to “FM“ on conventional channels or the big topic, the dreaded filters. These things (and a couple others) did transform it from being pretty much a “deaf brick” to being better and (somewhat) useful. Oh I almost forgot. The quick keys. Which truthfully, I still don’t get!

Truth is, I’m still not “wowed” by this (very) expensive radio! So I’m still looking for any and all best practices and tips that can be shared by anyone. Fact is that I’ve done side by side comparisons with other radios I have. The PSR 500, Radio Shack Pro 95, and even the lowly Pro 83 blow it away on conventional channels. And as far as simulcast digital, it’s ok. But again, in a side by side it’s not as good as the Unication G5 I have. It seems to lack sensitivity in general? Or maybe it’s just too “tight” in its design as a receiver. if it does pick up signals it just doesn’t sound that great. My 500 sounds like a Bose system on the local NOAA Weather station (again side by side) compared to the SDS 100!

Sorry for the semi rant. But any/all suggestions and help are appreciated! I’ll keep plugging away. Maybe I’ll pick one system lock out everything else and try changing filters etc etc….

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
There are so many variables that can/will effect reception - and overall performance of any radio, including your 100....
Antenna, RFI, simulcast, location, etc, etc, etc... Filters on the 200/100....

In many respects, the SDS radios are seemingly inferior when put head to head against other radios - especially VHF.
Then, they are superior in some other respects, such as simulcast.

Old saying:
You can have good, fast or cheap - pick two.
Basically, most anything is a compromise, which is the same for the 100/200.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
There are so many variables that can/will effect reception - and overall performance of any radio, including your 100....
Antenna, RFI, simulcast, location, etc, etc, etc... Filters on the 200/100....

In many respects, the SDS radios are seemingly inferior when put head to head against other radios - especially VHF.
Then, they are superior in some other respects, such as simulcast.

Old saying:
You can have good, fast or cheap - pick two.
Basically, most anything is a compromise, which is the same for the 100/200.
Yes. There are always many variables that can effect reception. For the price that you pay for this radio I can’t speak for anyone else but for me I’m looking for performance! I think I can safely say now that had I known how inferior the receive quality was/is on this radio I would have possibly gone for a 436 or 325 since I already had a G5 (which is also superior to the 100) for simulcast. Side by side on simulcast sites, the G5 receives everything. The SDS? Not so much! It’s really bad on VHF and UHF conventional analog and digital frequencies.

I find it all very disappointing.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
No. Remtronix 810S. Which I now see is UHF…hmmm. Thanks!
Yes. There are always many variables that can effect reception. For the price that you pay for this radio I can’t speak for anyone else but for me I’m looking for performance! I think I can safely say now that had I known how inferior the receive quality was/is on this radio I would have possibly gone for a 436 or 325 since I already had a G5 (which is also superior to the 100) for simulcast. Side by side on simulcast sites, the G5 receives everything. The SDS? Not so much! It’s really bad on VHF and UHF conventional analog and digital frequencies.

I find it all very disappointing.

So you're trying to monitor VHF on an antenna designed for UHF performance? If you monitor all the bands, try using the stock antenna. I'm in a heavy RF environment, in a large city, just west of an airport and have great success on the stock antenna. New owners should never play the "gotta have it" game many here seem to push. As I will always tell new owners, slow your roll and learn the scanner programming, filters before you start buying accessories you might not need. If you forsee yourself using a portable scanner as a desktop, might be better off with the SDS200. It can become very overwhelming and confusing.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
So you're trying to monitor VHF on an antenna designed for UHF performance? If you monitor all the bands, try using the stock antenna. I'm in a heavy RF environment, in a large city, just west of an airport and have great success on the stock antenna. New owners should never play the "gotta have it" game many here seem to push. As I will always tell new owners, slow your roll and learn the scanner programming, filters before you start buying accessories you might not need. If you forsee yourself using a portable scanner as a desktop, might be better off with the SDS200. It can become very overwhelming and confusing.
Correct Wereinshades! I feel like a JA! You have been a great help to me and it is greatly appreciated!

From tunable radios through crystals and many, many scanners I have never experienced feeling so completely lost and inexperienced! Then Ka3jjz pointing me back to the wiki….yikes!

I’m most likely doing many things wrong. I may have to re-evaluate my programming. Then go to the stock antenna and isolate a couple things starting with the filters off?And then on and on…

I can’t imagine someone with little or no experience trying to figure this radio out!

Much appreciated!

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Correct Wereinshades! I feel like a JA! You have been a great help to me and it is greatly appreciated!

From tunable radios through crystals and many, many scanners I have never experienced feeling so completely lost and inexperienced! Then Ka3jjz pointing me back to the wiki….yikes!

I’m most likely doing many things wrong. I may have to re-evaluate my programming. Then go to the stock antenna and isolate a couple things starting with the filters off?And then on and on…

I can’t imagine someone with little or no experience trying to figure this radio out!

Much appreciated!

I have walked a few friends through this journey too, so you're not alone. They have read some of the threads here, become more confused at times, then end up calling me or stopping by for the "simplified" explanation. I also encourage them to view You Tube videos, using the search bar and put in SDS100 and many videos are accessible. None of them have felt the need to purchase specialty antennas, extra batteries or any of the other accessories many here seem to push, and are happy and listening to many systems in the area. "Slow your roll" should be the calling card when it comes to these scanners..

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber

Which may be a reason so many 100's and 200's appear to be on the used market. Now day's people expect things to work out of the box with little to no hassle. Many people don't have all the time in the world or inclination to endlessly and repeatedly eff around with multiple settings, especially if they take it with them on the road to new places.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Which may be a reason so many 100's and 200's appear to be on the used market. Now day's people expect things to work out of the box with little to no hassle. Many people don't have all the time in the world or inclination to endlessly and repeatedly eff around with multiple settings, especially if they take it with them on the road to new places.

Did you ever figure out how to load your Favorites List in or still using zip code programming?

It does work "out of the box" if you do a little research prior to purchasing. As it's been suggested numerous times by many long term listeners, reading up on the different owners manuals, utilizing You Tube prior to purchasing, is the way to go. That way, when it arrives, it will work "right out of the box". Funny thing though, when these scanners are "out of stock", seems to be alot of threads and posts asking when they'll be in stock which leads me to believe, many do get it. I don't believe in the "hand holding method", but once I see someone has tried to understand aspects of the programming, downloaded Sentinel, uploaded Favorite Lists and spent more than 10 minutes at it, they seem to get alot more help. However, if you spend more time here initiating useless threads, then complaining about the scanner, probably less likely to receive help. Sound like anyone we know, or is that deemed to be "snarky"? :unsure: :LOL:

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Did you ever figure out how to load your Favorites List in or still using zip code programming?

It does work "out of the box" if you do a little research prior to purchasing. As it's been suggested numerous times by many long term listeners, reading up on the different owners manuals, utilizing You Tube prior to purchasing, is the way to go. That way, when it arrives, it will work "right out of the box". Funny thing though, when these scanners are "out of stock", seems to be alot of threads and posts asking when they'll be in stock which leads me to believe, many do get it. I don't believe in the "hand holding method", but once I see someone has tried to understand aspects of the programming, downloaded Sentinel, uploaded Favorite Lists and spent more than 10 minutes at it, they seem to get alot more help. However, if you spend more time here initiating useless threads, then complaining about the scanner, probably less likely to receive help. Sound like anyone we know, or is that deemed to be "snarky"? :unsure: :LOL:
No. Not snarky at all. Everybody here has been great! It’s all on me!

I will be trying to “start over“ and keep experimenting with it. Not waving the white flag here just yet! The fact is that for me there’s more about this radio that I do not understand than what I do understand. I’ll also admit that I find it frustrating at times!

Thank you!

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
No. Not snarky at all. Everybody here has been great! It’s all on me!

I will be trying to “start over“ and keep experimenting with it. Not waving the white flag here just yet! The fact is that for me there’s more about this radio that I do not understand than what I do understand. I’ll also admit that I find it frustrating at times!

Thank you!

Yes, start slow unless you previously were using the x36hp series of scanners which had similar programming. If you're trying to monitor multiple bands, start with the stock antenna, try filters at both the site/department level first before setting up the Global filter. I program my own system and don't depend on database uploads. Helped me learn the programming structure much easier, but required dedication, patience and time.

Status
Not open for further replies.