SDS 100/200 Scan rate/speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCSPRINGS

Premium Subscriber
Can you increase/decrease the scan rate and or speed on the SDS100 and 200. Specifically how fast multipule control channels?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
There is no switch or button that will slow or speed up scanning.

You can speed things up by the way you program the radio. The number of systems that you are scanning that each have a number of sites can be altered so that you are scanning the minimum amount of sites that you need. Also not scanning too many systems at one time could speed up your scanning. I can't see why you would ever want to slow up your scanning LOL.

I'm sure there will be other folks who will elaborate.

TexTAC

Premium Subscriber
In addition to the above regarding hold/delay times and reducing the number of sites within a system, I've found the following helps:

(1) Only program control channels and alternates on P25 systems - delete voice channels on these systems
(2) Don't use WX Priority or Close Call Priority unless you absolutely need to. Use Conventional priority DND to scan selected favorite conventional channels more frequently.
(3) Don't use either of the two "Auto" filters.

marksmith

It is a slow scanner if you are focused only on conventional scanning.

Since the primary focus of this scanner is simulcast digital trunking systems, it's not that slow. It does what other scanners cannot do.

If you want a fast conventional scanner you can buy 5 of them (good ones) for the cost of a 100/200.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
There is no switch or button that will slow or speed up scanning.

You can speed things up by the way you program the radio. The number of systems that you are scanning that each have a number of sites can be altered so that you are scanning the minimum amount of sites that you need. Also not scanning too many systems at one time could speed up your scanning. I can't see why you would ever want to slow up your scanning LOL.

I'm sure there will be other folks who will elaborate.

Sorry for the dumb question, I have looked and can't a definitive answer. I have the 436, it works great in the car, the main thing I don't like is the black and white screen. I like some of the features of the SDS100 display, however, I'm not wanting to step back in scanning speed.

I monitor the KSICS system, most of the time on two or four sites, I scan CC/ACC only, one or two departments (KHP and my local SO) in the scan bank with the site hold set at zero. Simuicast is not a problem for me.

So, now to the point, would be better off getting another 436 over the SDS100?

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
Also discussion about this here, here, here & here and I'm sure many other threads. If only folks would learn how to utilize the forum's search function before posting questions that have already been answered time and time again :rolleyes:

Sorry if I offend you, I did read the other post, however, I was looking for other input, I reported the post and asked it to be removed.

u2brent

OAMPT
The only way to speed up the scanning on an SDSx is to reduce the amount of items that are actually being actively scanned. This includes disabling the Priorities, Close Calls.. and WX...

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the dumb question, I have looked and can't a definitive answer. I have the 436, it works great in the car, the main thing I don't like is the black and white screen. I like some of the features of the SDS100 display, however, I'm not wanting to step back in scanning speed.

I monitor the KSICS system, most of the time on two or four sites, I scan CC/ACC only, one or two departments (KHP and my local SO) in the scan bank with the site hold set at zero. Simuicast is not a problem for me.

So, now to the point, would be better off getting another 436 over the SDS100?
Since you say simulcast is not an issue, and if it was that would be your deciding factor, you would clearly get the SDS radio. So since you're satisfied with the 436 it is just totally up to you.

If you want to rationalize yourself into an SDS radio oh, you've already said you have problems seeing the screen, the 436 was introduced in 2014, that's over 6 years ago. If you buy the 436 you're still paying a considerable amount of money, do you want to spend the extra money to future-proof just in case?

I recently moved my 200 out of the car when my area police went encrypted. I got one of those cell phone mounts that you put in your cup holder and then screw tightly. It's one of those as seen on TV deals. It really brings the radio very close to you. I'm able to put my coax from my newer version Larson tri-band on the radio very easily and plug it into a USB plug in my console.

I'm able to direct the screen right at me and put it on 100% white Text with black background. It would solve your problem seeing the screen in the car.

Totally your decision, these are the problems that are good to have LOL.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Sorry if I offend you, I did read the other post, however, I was looking for other input, I reported the post and asked it to be removed.
No no... JMC was not referring to your post, no need to remove it. You're thinking of making another purchase, you are identifying the slow scan speed on the SDS... it's basically a trade-off as the SDS radios were deliberately slowed down after initial release so as to work better secondary to the SDR chip. Apparently this is as fast as they're going to get.

Wish it was turboscan but it's not, that's why it has to be programmed as efficiently as possible.

Ubbe

Can you increase/decrease the scan rate and or speed on the SDS100 and 200. Specifically how fast multipule control channels?
Scan speed are locked at a 45ch/s rate and a BCD436 has 80ch/s. But if you only scan trunked systems it doesn't matter as each control channel makes the scanner stop and listen for at least 1,5 sec and if there's no active conversations it will go to next site. So it will go from one channel with CC to the next one with CC and then stop there for another 1,5 sec. Then it doesn't matter if you scan rate are 5ch/s or 100ch/s. When you scan conventional systems, digital or analog, then you'll want the fastest possible scan rate.

The programs in SDS100 and BCD436 are pretty much identical in the scan functions and have the same 1,5sec minimum wait time at each sites control channel. You would only need a SDS100 if you have systems that use simulcast that have the different sites in a system transmit on the exact same frequency, creating interferencies that needs a certain I/Q demodulator type that SDS scanners use, and receiver USB dongles, to properly demodulate the complex signal.

/Ubbe

cwhill

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for reply's! For sure wanted to speed up!! not slow down!! for sure.
I used to only have have an SDS200 for 3 surrounding counties. Then I changed my SDS200 to scan only the local simulcast in a nearby county and bought a BCT15X to handle the VHF in my two surrounding counties (they are strictly analog). I'm amazed at how frequently both radios are picking up comms simultaneously of which I was clearly missing when the SDS was handling everything. The BCT15X is a beast on scanning analog (at least for my needs). The other nice thing is having two separate antennas specifically tuned for the lower VHF analog stuff on the 15X and the higher UHF 850MHz on the SDS200 for the simulcast.
I have a bit of an OCD with 'how can I make it better'...But it makes me happy. :geek:

fredva

Feed Provider
I have the 436, it works great in the car, the main thing I don't like is the black and white screen. I like some of the features of the SDS100 display, however, I'm not wanting to step back in scanning speed.

While the ability to use colors on the SDS100 is appealing, my experience is that back and white provides the most visibility outside. That's especially important if you dim the screen to save the battery.

vikingegfd

Premium Subscriber
I have one of the first batch of SDS100's and what worked for me was sorting the frequences in each for the favorites lists so that the scanner did not have to switch between frequency bands more then necessary. Each time the scanner had to switch bands there was a delay. This did speed the scan speed up from very slow to slow. I also went out later and bought a 325p2.

Ubbe

That's especially important if you dim the screen to save the battery.
My fully lit SDS100 takes 750mAH and a totally black screen makes it go down to 725mAH. A 4% difference. Instead of 7 hours of use you get 7 hours an 20 minutes with the display totally blacked out.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.