SDS 100 and Saratoga County 800 system

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Good Morning!

I wasn‘t sure if I should put this in the NY forum or one of the Uniden forums.

I’ve now had the SDS 100 for just about two years. I’ve found it to be labor intensive and “finicky” to say the very least.

I’m looking for tips others may have on monitoring the Saratoga County 800 system. I’m located in Glenmont NY which is approximately 40-45 miles from Saratoga. Reception runs “hot and cold.” I have it programmed with the “south simulcast” site. Wide Invert filter. And right now I have location control on set at approximately 45 miles. I had it turned off too in the past. Not much difference!

My Unication G5 picks up everything loud and clear from Saratoga. How can I get my SDS 100 to behave better?

Thanks!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Are the service types turned on for the talkgroups you want to hear? (Reference "tag" column in the DB for applicable service types) Have you tried other filters aside from "Wide Invert"?

k2hz

Database Admin
My experience with the SDS100 in Rochester on reception of adjacent county systems is that reception is variable depending on the degree of overload from strong in-band local signals. A yagi aimed at the target county makes it worse since it also increases the strength of any local interference in that direction. The only solution that sometimes helps is to not use a fixed antenna, use the Remtronix or similar good rubber antenna and move the radio to try to find a location that maximizes the desired signal and minimizes the interference.

That will still vary from day to day due to variations in the strength of the distant signal and intensity of local interference.

Basically, no magic solution to the SDS100 desense and spurious response problems. As you mentioned in the previous post, the attenuator usually kills all but very strong local reception. The bottom line is, if you are in an area with strong signals in the band you want to receive, the SDS100 is good only for monitoring local systems. And, as you have found with the Thruway, even that is not always possible.

I find the only value of the SDS100 is to monitor the local system. I use other scanners for everything else. As you have found, the "filters" have minimal effect and have to be tweaked for the particular frequency you want to receive.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
What antenna is on the 100? If stock, its a general antenna where as the G5 might have a antenna specifically for the ranges it receives.
The Remtronix one for this scanner. Model escapes me now. Although the stock one is pretty decent for analog and closer stuff!

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Are the service types turned on for the talkgroups you want to hear? (Reference "tag" column in the DB for applicable service types) Have you tried other filters aside from "Wide Invert"?
Yes. Service types are good. Haven’t tried other filters here yet. Sometimes it’s clear as a bell. Others broken and garbled. The G5 doesn’t miss a beat!

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
My experience with the SDS100 in Rochester on reception of adjacent county systems is that reception is variable depending on the degree of overload from strong in-band local signals. A yagi aimed at the target county makes it worse since it also increases the strength of any local interference in that direction. The only solution that sometimes helps is to not use a fixed antenna, use the Remtronix or similar good rubber antenna and move the radio to try to find a location that maximizes the desired signal and minimizes the interference.

That will still vary from day to day due to variations in the strength of the distant signal and intensity of local interference.

Basically, no magic solution to the SDS100 desense and spurious response problems. As you mentioned in the previous post, the attenuator usually kills all but very strong local reception. The bottom line is, if you are in an area with strong signals in the band you want to receive, the SDS100 is good only for monitoring local systems. And, as you have found with the Thruway, even that is not always possible.

I find the only value of the SDS100 is to monitor the local system. I use other scanners for everything else. As you have found, the "filters" have minimal effect and have to be tweaked for the particular frequency you want to receive.
Thank you. Yes the Remtronix works well. It’s a very strange and “finicky” beast at times. It works…sorta on some systems very well. And even on some local conventional analog. This after two years of trial and error - and a lot of help from you and other nice folks on here!

I do appreciate the insight and tips. And I’m always open to trying things out!

Thank you!

blackbelter

In my experience , while different antennas , filters and other adjustments may slightly improve the receptions of the SDS series they can not match the performance of ever lasting Unication units. While I enjoy my SDS 200, my go to and reliable device is my G5 as they are designed for specific bands and built with more professional components. I am well aware of the differences of the professional pagers and consumer grade scanners .

Last edited:

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
In my experience , while antennas , filters and other adjustments may improve the receptions of the SDS series they can not match the performance of ever lasting Unication units. While I enjoy my SDS 200, my go to and reliable device is my G5 as they are designed for specific bands and built with more professional components. I am well aware of the difference of the professional pagers and consumer grade scanners .
I couldn’t agree more!

vannossc

Premium Subscriber
I'm in (very) southern Saratoga County with an SDS200, DPD Productions Omni X antenna, and LMR-400 cable to the roof. I can hear the South multicast system perfectly but never 9ever) a peep from the North system. I can analyze on that system and it's non-existent as far as the scanner is concerned. I'm not so interested in the North stuff so I'm ok. If it picked it up I wouldn't be opposed to it but it's still a bit curious why it's not there for me now.

The Omni-X does a great job on other 8xx Mhz systems in the wide-area Capital District as well.

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
If you are in Albany or Schenectady county, you will have trouble with overload from the many repeaters in those counties. The busier the Albany-Schenectady system gets, the worse the in-band interference. Even without that, Glenmont is pretty far from Saratoga County for solid 800 MHz reception on a portable.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
If you are in Albany or Schenectady county, you will have trouble with overload from the many repeaters in those counties. The busier the Albany-Schenectady system gets, the worse the in-band interference. Even without that, Glenmont is pretty far from Saratoga County for solid 800 MHz reception on a portable.
I have no trouble receiving Saratoga on my Unication G5. I do understand what you’re saying Dave. I’ve had the SDS 100 for about two years now. I’ve learned a lot thanks to many nice folks on here As well as through other sources. Patience is key. Tweaking the filters and other settings can yield success. It’s not awful reception of the system entirely. It has gone “back and forth” with some of the tweaks I’ve tried. I’ll try “Bryanks” suggestions next.

mikec10

I live in the City of Schenectady. My G4 will not pick up Saratoga Co when I am inside. Outside and when I am driving I have no problem. Inside I need to attach my outside antenna that is in the attic. Third floor. My SDS100 and 200 same way. Inside I can receive Albany Co Colonie Schenectady Co Guilderland with no issues.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
I live in the City of Schenectady. My G4 will not pick up Saratoga Co when I am inside. Outside and when I am driving I have no problem. Inside I need to attach my outside antenna that is in the attic. Third floor. My SDS100 and 200 same way. Inside I can receive Albany Co Colonie Schenectady Co Guilderland with no issues.
Thank you for your response. Wow! I get them all great here in Glenmont. Like I said, I’m going to try bryanks suggestions next.