Sds 100 audio recording?

sunnydog1

Premium Subscriber
So a while ago my sds 100 battery swelled and I haven't replaced it simply because I don't trust the batteries now. Anyway without the battery the scanners recording option won't work. So is there any way to record audio and still have audio played through the scanner speaker? Thanks

Ubbe

Carefully look at the cells without pulling anything lose. Maybe one cell haven't swelled, then cut the other cells off the pack and continue to use it to enable recordings at home. If bigger capacity are needed for field use then buy a new battery but use the old at home. There have been no reports of any accidents with these batteries. So should be safe to use even in a swelled state.

/Ubbe

sunnydog1

Premium Subscriber
No, not without connected to a PC running software such as ProScan. But doesn’t play through scanner speaker on playback.
I guess what I meant to ask is if I run the pro Scan software would the scanner speaker still work for normal scanning? I'm not talking about playback. Probably a dumb question but I don't know how this stuff works. Thanks

N9JIG

Sheriff
I guess what I meant to ask is if I run the pro Scan software would the scanner speaker still work for normal scanning? I'm not talking about playback. Probably a dumb question but I don't know how this stuff works. Thanks
In order to have ProScan or Butel's ARC536 record off the SDS100 you need to connect a cable from the earphone jack to the audio input of your computer. This will disconnect the internal speaker.

I imagine that one could set the computer up so that it plays the audio directly. This would likely be done someplace in the Sound Control Panel.

Alternately you could do some surgery on the scanner to tap the audio output somehow so that both the computer and the scanner's speaker gets audio (in effect adding a Record Jack) but that is not an ideal solution for sure...

I preferred to use my BCD996P2 for recording audio to ProScan or ARC536 via its Record jack. I can attest that it works very well. The great thing about this is that the volume control of the scanner does not affect the record level of the computer, thus allowing you to record and use the scanner's speaker independently of each other.

Another alternative is to use an SDS200, connect it to ProScan thru the Ethernet jack and record audio with that setup. I have yet to try that myself but it is on my list of things to do soon, at least so I know how to get it working.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I don't understand the inner workings for the audio circuit either, so I'm just throwing this out there as a possibility: Could you use one of those 1/8" Y-splitter audio cables at the earphone jack, with one side going to the computer and the other going to an external speaker? This way, you wouldn't have to modify the scanner.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
As soon as you plug something into earpiece jack on a SDS100, the internal speaker is disabled.

sunnydog1

Premium Subscriber
I don't understand the inner workings for the audio circuit either, so I'm just throwing this out there as a possibility: Could you use one of those 1/8" Y-splitter audio cables at the earphone jack, with one side going to the computer and the other going to an external speaker? This way, you wouldn't have to modify the scanner.
I was wondering the same thing.

N9JIG

Sheriff
That might work but you would likely need an amplified speaker with its own volume control. This way you could set the radio volume to a proper level for recording and still adjust the speaker volume independently.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
That might work but you would likely need an amplified speaker with its own volume control. This way you could set the radio volume to a proper level for recording and still adjust the speaker volume independently.
This is the speaker that I use. It has a 3.5mm aux input jack on the side and volume control. I haven't used it wired directly to my SDS100, but it works well using a bluetooth transmitter. I'm not sure if it would work for this application.

sunnydog1

Premium Subscriber
So it looks like I may have to get a new battery after all because I can't put the scanner in serial port mode for ProScan without the battery apparently. I connect the scanner to the PC mass storage and the serial port options flash for split second but then goes away before I have a chance to hit the button underneath the seven to put it in the serial port mode. I haven't had the scanner connected to the PC sentinel software since the battery messed up so I'm thinking the problem is the fact that there's no battery in the radio. So I'm pretty sure if I ever want to even update the scanner in sentinel I'm probably going to have to have a battery.

Ubbe

I can't put the scanner in serial port mode for ProScan without the battery apparently
So I'm pretty sure if I ever want to even update the scanner in sentinel I'm probably going to have to have a battery.
If the scanner isn't in mass storage mode it is in serial mode. These are the only two modes it can be in.
Updates seems to go fine without any battery, at least my UBC3600 (EU version of 436) updated without any batteries in it, just USB power.

/Ubbe

N9JIG

Sheriff
So it looks like I may have to get a new battery after all because I can't put the scanner in serial port mode for ProScan without the battery apparently. I connect the scanner to the PC mass storage and the serial port options flash for split second but then goes away before I have a chance to hit the button underneath the seven to put it in the serial port mode. I haven't had the scanner connected to the PC sentinel software since the battery messed up so I'm thinking the problem is the fact that there's no battery in the radio. So I'm pretty sure if I ever want to even update the scanner in sentinel I'm probably going to have to have a battery.
The scanner will revert to Serial Mode after a set time when you plug in the USB cable. During the interim when the message is on screen asking what mode you can select either but if you do noting it goes into Serial Mode automatically. Unless the radio is in Mass Storage Mode (and is so indicated on the screen) it is always in Serial Mode.