SDS 100 CAR CHARGING QUESTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobcraig

Hello everyone! I have a SDS 100 and am generally very pleased with it. Lately though, when I have it plugged into my car using the supplied cord for charging and GPS, the scanner gives me the "LOW USB" warning. I just got a new Hyundai Tucson which supplies 12 volts, 180 watts through the cigarette plugs. Using the radio in my previous Tucson would occasionally give me the same warning. I have been doing a thread search and see some issues with using the radio connected to computers. Along with the USB warning sometimes the screen tells me that there's nothing to scan. When traveling I am scanning the full database with service set for fire and law enforcement. When I turn it off and on it resumes scanning for a short time, then does it again. In the last couple of days it also gives me the same warning on the home cord plugged into a wall outlet. Wiggling the cord at the scanner seems to make a difference. I am of course using the USB 2 plug in. What do you fine folks think? Loose USB connection on the scanner? It does seems to be slowly getting worse. Thanks for any advice!

Bob in Iowa

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone! I have a SDS 100 and am generally very pleased with it.
My situation is similar. I just completed a 3 state 1900 mile trip and was generally happy with the SDS-100 running next to my PSR-500.

Lately though, when I have it plugged into my car using the supplied cord for charging and GPS, the scanner gives me the "LOW USB" warning. I just got a new Hyundai Tucson which supplies 12 volts, 180 watts through the cigarette plugs.
That's 15 amps and more than enough. First of all, I get that message anytime I use a USB cable longer than the short 3 foot cable provided. It doesn't matter if plugged into a PC, wall adapter or auto adapter.

I found some 6 foot long cables with higher guage wire, and I still get the error. I've added the USB voltages to my display so I can see what the scanner is measuring. It seems to trigger low voltage at about 4.75 volts. This seems like a measurement error in the scanner. I am using a cigarette lighter adapter in the vehicle and don't need a long cable there.

Along with the USB warning sometimes the screen tells me that there's nothing to scan. When traveling I am scanning the full database with service set for fire and law enforcement. When I turn it off and on it resumes scanning for a short time, then does it again.
I am only using Favorites so when there's nothing to scan, it's my fault. I could see that if you're in some zip codes, unless you have national stuff enabled; there wouldn't be much to scan.

What do you fine folks think? Loose USB connection on the scanner? It does seems to be slowly getting worse. Thanks for any advice
Add the measurements to your display and see what it's reporting. If the reported value truly is low when you get the error, make sure you're using the cable provided. Make sure your power adapter is 2 amps or more (or the one provided). If all that's true, it could be an issue with the radio.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone! I have a SDS 100 and am generally very pleased with it. Lately though, when I have it plugged into my car using the supplied cord for charging and GPS, the scanner gives me the "LOW USB" warning. I just got a new Hyundai Tucson which supplies 12 volts, 180 watts through the cigarette plugs. Using the radio in my previous Tucson would occasionally give me the same warning. I have been doing a thread search and see some issues with using the radio connected to computers. Along with the USB warning sometimes the screen tells me that there's nothing to scan. When traveling I am scanning the full database with service set for fire and law enforcement. When I turn it off and on it resumes scanning for a short time, then does it again. In the last couple of days it also gives me the same warning on the home cord plugged into a wall outlet. Wiggling the cord at the scanner seems to make a difference. I am of course using the USB 2 plug in. What do you fine folks think? Loose USB connection on the scanner? It does seems to be slowly getting worse. Thanks for any advice!

Bob in Iowa

While your vehicle may be capable of supplying 12Volts, 180 watts, the scanner uses 5 volts, not twelve. Some vehicles do have a USB port that you can use, but unless that port, in your vehicle, can put out around 2 amps @ 5 volts, it would not be enough to both charge & run the scanner. Also, if the vehicles USB is only supplying about 500 milliamps (that is the standard minimum for USB ports, although newer PCs provide more amperage), then that is not enough to run the scanner, nor even charge it when the scanner is turned off.

If you are using a cigarette lighter plug USB power adapter, what is it's current capacity?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
it says car charger 12 watts. Input DC 12-24 VDC. Output DC5V/ 2.4A

Thanks for your time Steve!
OK, presuming that it is working correctly, it should work. That's close to the specs for the one I use, and I can run & charge the SDS100 plus power a 436HP.

Be sure that the cable you use can handle the current. Some of the lower cost ones cannot. You can also get a meter that shows how much current is actually flowing. Here's one example. There are a number of others on Amazon & eBay, and probably a number of other sellers as well.

bobcraig

I am using the cord provided by Uniden. although I have read in these forums that the cord was provided by Uniden before the SDS 100 was available. I wish they would sell one specifically for the SDS. I don't remember now how long I've had the cord. Anyway thanks for the information Steve.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
I have to use both USB ports while in the car. I am trying to find a cord and a USB power source combination that is sufficient to only use one or the other USB port, but no luck thus far.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Try another cable? Maybe try a new one...
Key here is the: "24AGW" (thicker wire = less voltage drop)
Both of the below work great.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have to use both USB ports while in the car. I am trying to find a cord and a USB power source combination that is sufficient to only use one or the other USB port, but no luck thus far.
I'm using this one:

Powers my SDS100 on the correct USB port, with enough amperage to both charge & operate the scanner. Also has two addition USB ports, one of which I use to power a second scanner, usuallly a 436HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.