SDS100/SDS200: SDS 100 charging cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmann901

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know a charging cable that compatible with the sds100 that's 6' long or longer? I'm a new owner and certainly don't want to screw it up by using the wrong cable. I have the one that came with the scanner but I would like a longer one.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber

mrmann901

Premium Subscriber

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

gldillon

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Stay away from the convenience store cables. Get some quality wire like they mentioned above and the 6 ft. limit is pretty important, too.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
A caution about the cable above. It caused me a bit of a headache today. I ordered it to see if it was just a basic charging cable, or if I could use is an spare data cable on another computer. I mean it was only two bucks right? Well, something strange happened, it installed another driver. Weird right? It's just a cable, why should it install a driver on my computer? Well, after that ProScan would not work, and I ended up removing the driver and rolling back my computer to the previous set point on the 11th. I don't know what was going on, but I don't recommend getting one unless you like to experiment.

I may sound paranoid, but could the reason it's so cheap be because it's Trojan Bait? I'm tempted to open it up with the Dremel.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I don't know what's going on, either, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the cable.

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
A caution about the cable above. It caused me a bit of a headache today. I ordered it to see if it was just a basic charging cable, or if I could use is an spare data cable on another computer. I mean it was only two bucks right? Well, something strange happened, it installed another driver. Weird right? It's just a cable, why should it install a driver on my computer? Well, after that ProScan would not work, and I ended up removing the driver and rolling back my computer to the previous set point on the 11th. I don't know what was going on, but I don't recommend getting one unless you like to experiment.

I may sound paranoid, but could the reason it's so cheap be because it's Trojan Bait? I'm tempted to open it up with the Dremel.

Should just be a ferrite choke. Never had an issue with Monoprice cables, but I have only gotten them directly from them, not through Amazon.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber

I use these cables daily.
I am 99.9999% sure it is NOT the cable.

(There is no 'chip' in these - it's just a 'dumb' (just wires) USB cable)

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber

I think whatever you connected the cable to contains the chip causing the Device Manager to detect new hardware.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I think whatever you connected the cable to contains the chip causing the Device Manager to detect new hardware.

That's the weird thing, I unplugged the SDS100 and used the new cable instead of the one that came with the SDS100. I've never had the computer try to install a new driver in the many times I've disconnected the scanner and reconnected it, (except on the original install). Physically it appears to be a better quality cable than the one that came with the scanner, but I'm not going to screw with it again. I reminded of the old saying that goes, "If it ain't broke, don't mess with it.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
That's the weird thing, I unplugged the SDS100 and used the new cable instead of the one that came with the SDS100. I've never had the computer try to install a new driver in the many times I've disconnected the scanner and reconnected it, (except on the original install). Physically it appears to be a better quality cable than the one that came with the scanner, but I'm not going to screw with it again. I reminded of the old saying that goes, "If it ain't broke, don't mess with it.

Did you use the same USB port on the computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.