SDS 100 Flager County/Palm Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

walt991

Is anyone using an SDS100 with Provoice in Flagler County? How well does it perform?

Since no one answered, I can tell you that I use the ProVoice firmware flash with a 436HP (I know that's not what you specifically asked for, but...) and it works with Flagler. If they're functionally similar, you should do fine. Also, like their Harris neighbors, they have been going to P25 for the last couple of decades. They might eventually get there, so keep that in the back of your mind.

edweirdFL

FWIW I have a SDS-200 on pre-order and will add the ProVoice feature after it arrives. At some point I should be able to post a follow up message in this thread with the results.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I wanted to test the sds100 in the area til my area got hit by hurricane. I was about 30 mints north for a few days than went back home.

walt991

FWIW I have a SDS-200 on pre-order and will add the ProVoice feature after it arrives. At some point I should be able to post a follow up message in this thread with the results.

Nice! Let me know. I have a hard time with Provoice audio on my 436HP. It seems to be very muffled like there’s too much bass. Very hard to understand what’s being said sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

edweirdFL

My SDS200 arrived today and I installed the Provoice key soon after. I have a trip planned that will take me closer to Flagler County than my home, and I plan on scanning the system while I'm there very soon and sharing my observations here.

In the hour that I've had it scanning the Volusia County EDACS system it's worked at least as well as my older scanners on an analog 800 MHz trunked system.

Gadgetmann

Premium Subscriber
I know your original question was on the SDS100 and PV in Flagler County, but I have the 436 and listen to PV in Brevard Co and it sounds awesome. Clear digital audio and if anything, louder almost over driven from some units.

edweirdFL

Yesterday I was able to use my SDS200 while outside at a park in Holly Hill. I was able to monitor the Flagler County system better than I can from home, and during the 3 hours I was there heard a number of ProVoice transmissions. The tonality was different than that of the analog transmissions, not as good sounding in my opinion, but I could understand what they were saying just fine.

Later yesterday evening I was up in Ormond Beach very close to the county line. Using the back of set antenna while inside a house I wasn't able to copy any ProVoice exchanges as I had originally hoped. It could just be that the signals were too weak. I had set all of the analog talkgroups to "Avoid" so I can't say how well they were coming in.

As a side note I have heard only 1 ProVoice exchange on the Volusia County EDACS system, and it sounded overmodulated, muddy, and difficult to make out what they were saying other than "10-4" I'm hesitant to say for sure at this time that how the SDS200 performs on ProVoice found on these systems. I just need some more time using the radio in strong signal conditions.

walt991

That's my experience with the 436 on ProVoice. It's not as good as analog, deep muddy tone, and somewhat muffled. I was hoping the SDS100 or SDS200 would be better. Thanks for the report!

edweirdFL

No worries. I've heard some more ProVoice on the Volusia EDACs system today between 7 different UIDs, and all but 1 of them are easily understandable. Not as clear as analog but OK.

1 radio might have a crappy mic (or throat mic) or someone who isn't speaking into there's because that unit consistently sounds poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.