SDS 100 GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

amr_emt_907

Premium Subscriber
Hi
I have a SDS 100 scanner and I have been trying to program for gps use by rectangles coordinates. Which it seems to work in Washington, Portland area and central Oregon with no problem with a range set to 0 to 10 But in Eugene/ Springfield area it will not work. I get the nothing to scan message I even made the boxes smaller and increased the range and the only time it starts to work is when I set the range for 30, So does anyone have an idea why it does not work.
here are the coordinates I have for Prairie peak.

Latitude (top Left) Longitude( Top Left) Latitude ( Bottom Right) Longitude (Bottom Right)
44.163480-123.40720043.999720-122.995210

thanks

Last edited:

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Set your range to "0" and use the coordinates as defining limits

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you make the boxes smaller, you're decreasing the area where the item will be scanned. If the coordinates are correct and GPS is working and you're inside the box, the item will be scanned even if Range is zero. If you're outside the box, the item shouldn't be scanned--that's the whole point of GPS.

Check to make sure you don't have any unintended Avoids, all relevant Quick Keys are on, etc.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Rectangles are fine for defining political boundaries, but for sites I use circles since radio waves radiate away from a transmitter site in a more or less circular pattern.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Ok, here’s your problem: your coordinates describe a rectangle that includes Eugene and stretches west to include Fern Ridge Reservoir. See map below. Your coverage rectangle is in purple and does not even include Prairie Peak. That’s fine for a political boundary, as in an agency you want to scan, but your location data for the Prairie Peak site should be a circle centered on Praire Peak, and with whatever radius you think is realistic to represent its coverage area. At 3400’ elevation, Prairie Peak covers a pretty wide area. You could easily assume a 20 mile radius, possibly even 25 or 30 would be realistic.

396190A2-3D3F-4380-900B-AB2ECAE4CF2E.png

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
What system are you trying to monitor? The SW 7 County system that includes Lane County, and the cities of Eugene & Springfield, does not even have a site on Prairie Peak. I think Benton County has a VHF repeater on Prairie. Is that what you’re trying to monitor using GPS? If so GPS-based scanning is not what you’d want to use if you’re trying to monitor Benton County from Eugene.

Baker845

Prairie peak site is use on the State 700 mhz system. Lane county and Benton county don't have anything related to trunking on Prairie. Benton only has Vhf repeater up there at that site.

amr_emt_907

Premium Subscriber
thank you guys so I guess I should just use circles then. I was trying to setup the scanner to listen to the OSRP system using the GPS function I was trying to limit the number of sites the scanner is trying to scan Because I don't like scanning sites that I cant even pick up which of course means I end up missing transmissions. I even messed around with the range function as well but I still would either scan sites I cant pick up or get the nothing to scan. I guess I will have to keep messing around with it.

I also noticed when I took GPS off the scanner was scanning sites from central Oregon Like wampus butte which is in La Pine and it showed full reception bars I thought that was weird.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I also noticed when I took GPS off the scanner was scanning sites from central Oregon Like wampus butte which is in La Pine and it showed full reception bars I thought that was weird.

Some of the frequencies are used at more than one site. If two sites are far enough apart they can theoretically use the exact same frequencies without issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.