SDS 100 just awful with UHF / VHF analog, static, scratchy. bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubbe

what would be a better receiver chip for simulcast and receiver performance?
I would say that the best solution would be to keep the receiver from a BCD436/536 and just replace the last IF stage with a SDR chip receiver to get the I/Q output necessary to make it simulcast compatible. Then you would have a good receiver combined with a SDR that can handle simulcast. The problem are that it is a more costly solution.

Uniden tried to make the manufacturing costs as low as possible and used that 99 cent chip to replace the whole receiver section in SDS scanners and put a big color display on it to attract buyers. The software development costs are high and Upman was probably too generous with free upgrades that included new features and options and Uniden needs to create an economical buffer for current and future software development. The SDS scanners are probably a lot less costly to produce than the BCD scanners but they can sell them for a higher price with the display and the simulcast feature and finance both the past and current software developments with the overhead profit as they re-use the whole software package from the BCD series and only add the SDR development costs.

/Ubbe

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Receiving a transmitter 30 miles with any handheld antenna is laughably optimistic. It might happen, but terrain and vegetation will usually block the signal. 18 miles is still iffy. Analog always has some static, thar's one of the big reasons why digital is so popular.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
I set my analog VHF and UHF frequencies all for FM mode, not NFM, and Wide Normal filters and the sensitivity matches or exceeds my Whistler 1080 and TRX-1 and BCD-396XT's and others. I did many tests and comparisons in the last few months of my SDS100 ownership. Just my results, yours may be different at your location and situation. Give my settings a try if you want.

trying to listen to frequencies in the low 100.000 - 180.000 range just sound SO BAD.

Constant static, unable to make out what people are saying. Can hear voices.

Any ideas? I hear the BCD436HP is better thinking about downgrading

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
So when exactly did Uniden recommend the SDS series scanners be used only to solve the simulcast problems? Maybe I missed that marketing pitch.

"Uniden" never said that. Upman made a comment once that the SDS scanners were optimized for P25 simulcast, and that if someone was looking for a scanner to listen to analog only (air, rail, marine, whatever) then perhaps another model would be a better choice.

Ubbe - just wondering if you actually own a Uniden SDS scanner? I own two SDS scanners and they work quite well for me.

He doesn't. He apparently borrowed one once (before the filters were available, if I'm not mistaken) and "tested" it, and that makes him more of an authority than all the other frequent posters that actually have and use them every day. There are no P25 Phase II simulcast systems in Sweden, so no need for an SDS-series scanner.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
trying to listen to frequencies in the low 100.000 - 180.000 range just sound SO BAD.

Constant static, unable to make out what people are saying. Can hear voices.

Any ideas? I hear the BCD436HP is better thinking about downgrading
The very fist thought that came to me brain was wondering how strong FM broadcast signals are for you. That's all it takes to de-sensitize a receiver. I am sitting here with a LOT of different models of scanners running, including the SDS-100, monitoring signals from 180 miles away CLEARLY. As we all know, the first step is location, location, location. My SDS is holding its own when monitoring VHF hi (although I'd rather have it tuned to simulcast systems).

The receiver can't work any better than the signals you give it. OK, you've got a great antenna, but that is only part of the equation. I'd try adding an in-line FM trap and see what difference that makes.

mitbr

I am a strong believer that one radio cant do it all. I have my Unication for simulcast and some have the SDS series. I have numerous other scanners for air ,ham , vhf, uhf .
Tim :cool:

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
When I first bought my SDS100, I was amazed with the capability of this unit on P25 Simulcast with a handheld antenna. I was picking up traffic from sites that were 15+ miles away from home. Of course, I had the same expectations for VHF/UHF with a handheld antenna. After realizing that receiving distant VHF/UHF stations was going to be a challenge with my antenna setup, I just focused on what I can monitor in my immediate area for VHF/UHF, and it turns out that the SDS100 does a very good job. Currently listening to the airband, and it does a good job for meeting my needs for the different bands that I monitor on a regular basis though maybe it’s time to bring back a second scanner back into the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.