SDS 100 - mobile solutions I've made

Status
Not open for further replies.

rngcamera

Hi all! I love my SDS 100. i enjoy monitoring all kinds of channels, law, local business and other channels. As a FAA certified drone pilot, I take my SDS 100 with me whenever I fly -to monitor local air traffic channels, I ran across a few things that I wanted to improve on when using it mobile. Here is the solutions I've come up . Let me know what you think.

Patch42

Not sure how it compares price-wise, but I've been using a Lido LM-801 cup holder scanner mount several months now. It works without modification to hold the SDS100. I don't have the belt clip on mine so I slide the button on the back of the scanner into the slot on the holder. With the expanded battery pack you have to turn the scanner sideways to get the button in the slot but you can then rotate the radio to a vertical position and it's held very securely in place. If you have the belt clip on you can flip the head of the holder 180 degrees and just clip the radio in place.

My only minor complaint is the rubber pad on the mount isn't glued down very securely. Mine popped off just recently. I just pushed it back in place and it has stayed in position. Worst case a bit of Super Glue should solve the problem.

The Lido LM-801 appears to stand taller than the WeatherTech and the neck is extendible if you want to get it even higher.

I've not seen a WeatherTech holder in person so I can't compare how rugged the two are compared to each other. The Lido seems adequate to the task but I'd likely want something a bit more secure if I was going off-road or expecting an extremely bumpy ride. There's a bit of play in it even when everything is tightened down. For driving on roads in my normal passenger car it's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.