SDS 100 NAC Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSdudley2020

Premium Subscriber
I have a SDS 100. I am trying to enter a NAC Code on a analog law enforcement channel. Can someone please tell me how to do this? Thanks

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
\\

The radio service that installs the Sheriffs office (155.535) radios says there is a nac code 200 they installed on the mobile radios.
Then they have shifted to digital, not analog. As already noted above, analog does not utilize NAC codes.

Are they, perhaps, using the frequency in both analog & digital mode right now? That's common when an agency is beginning to switch to digital, but not everyone has gotten a digital capable radio as yet.

Which scanner, and which agency (database page link?).

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Steve, according to his first post... It's an SDS100...
Can not help much without more location info though...
I guess we have to be mind readers...

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Yep, overlooked the SDS100.

But, as you note, we'd need to look at whatever agency is involved.

SSdudley2020

Premium Subscriber
Burleson Co. Sheriffs Dept. Caldwell, Tx not Burleson Tx If your thinking about looking at radio reference it does not say anything about digital, I don't think. Thanks for the help.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Burleson Co. Sheriffs Dept. Caldwell, Tx not Burleson Tx If your thinking about looking at radio reference it does not say anything about digital, I don't think. Thanks for the help.
They may well be doing what I've seen in a number of other rural or semi-rural counties here in Texas. In quite a few cases, the Sheriff's office is using their dispatch channel both in analog mode (that's what is listed at present in the database), but also digital.

If you already have your S.O. in a Favorites list, add a second line, using the same 155.535 frequency. But, on the second line, instead of showing the frequency as analog, set the audio mode to digital, along with the NAC code you mentioned in post # 4.

This is a a county (Stephens), west of the DFW area, where I have friends that I visit when I have time.
1602379177129.png

The Sheriff's units are using digital (that first line), but tone-outs for the various VFDs are analog, so the original analog frequency is still in use for those communications.

If you can confirm that your county is now using digital, then submit the update to the database, so that it will be updated both here in the online database, as well as the database that Uniden maintains for the SDS100 and other database scanners. When submitting the update, specify that either they are using the same frequency in both analog & digital modes, or if they are using digital only.

For Burleson County. the S.O. Dispatch/Ch 1 frequency 155.535 shows to also be used for EMS Dispatch. If the radios or pagers used for EMS are still analog, then probably the dispatcher still uses the analog mode for them, but uses digital when communicating with the deputies on patrol.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

SSdudley2020

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I believe I understand (sorta) what your telling me, but I'm new to the scanner community. From what you describe and by listening to communications, the SO pages the EMS on both fire and SO channels. When the EMS responds I always hear them and the SO. The only units I am not hearing are several, but not all of the SO units.

I think I understand what your telling me re: splitting the frequencies, but I just starting using
Sentinel and the SDS 100 and don't know how to plug in frequencies. Can this be programmed on the radio itself and if so what are the steps.

Again, thanks for being patient with me and hope Im not taking up to much of your time since Im a novice at this.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Ok, I believe I understand (sorta) what your telling me, but I'm new to the scanner community. From what you describe and by listening to communications, the SO pages the EMS on both fire and SO channels. When the EMS responds I always hear them and the SO. The only units I am not hearing are several, but not all of the SO units.

I think I understand what your telling me re: splitting the frequencies, but I just starting using
Sentinel and the SDS 100 and don't know how to plug in frequencies. Can this be programmed on the radio itself and if so what are the steps.

Again, thanks for being patient with me and hope Im not taking up to much of your time since Im a novice at this.
While you could program it directly on the scanner, that becomes tedious as you try to get your text tag exactly how you want it. You have to select your letters, one at a time, by using the scroll knob to cycle through the alphabet.

If you are using Sentinel, start the Favorites list editor, and select the list your county is in.
Go down to the system, for your county, and open the Department.
1602393412588.png
Now, just click over on the left margin, by where the number of the channel in the Department is.1602392801583.png

With the line for that frequency highlighted, as in my example above, copy that to the Windows clipboard, using the keystrokes of the Control key plus the letter C.

Once you have that copied to the clipboard, then add a line to the department by pressing the green plus sign.
1602392986869.png
Now, click in the channel name field (it's highlighted after you add the line).
Then, paste the line you copied to the clipboard using the shortcut keystrokes of the Control Key plus the letter V.
1602393162601.png
That copies everything from your original line. Finish it off by editing the audio option to reflect Digital, and enter the NAC key as well.
For counties that use the same frequency in both digital as well as analog mode, I add "Digital" to the text tag. That's my preference, but is certainly not a requirement.

Note that you can only add the channel this way if it is in a Favorites list. If you are using only the main database, along with your location and range, you cannot add the line for the alternate method of use.

If a guy was to look at the FCC licensing information ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - KVX796 - BURLESON, COUNTY OF - Frequency 000155.53500000 he would see they are approved for 3 different emission types:

4K00F1D6.25 kHz data NXDN (Narrow IDAS, NEXEDGE)
4K00F1E6.25 kHz voice NXDN (Narrow IDAS, NEXEDGE)

8K10F1EP25 Phase I C4FM voice (typically used for single-site systems)

So there is a digital component in play for this frequency. Migration probably is in progress.
I've seen that pattern in a number of other counties in my extended area of North Texas, adding a digital format other than P25 to an existing license. Most add DMR, but I have seen several that instead added a NXDN option. There was one that I ran across a year or more ago, that updated their license to add both NXDN as well as MotoTRBO (DMR) emission codes, even though they continued using analog.

Other than two NXDN public safety trunked systems in Dallas County, so far, the only other "non-business" users of NXDN I've noticed have been school districts

SSdudley2020

Premium Subscriber
While you could program it directly on the scanner, that becomes tedious as you try to get your text tag exactly how you want it. You have to select your letters, one at a time, by using the scroll knob to cycle through the alphabet.

If you are using Sentinel, start the Favorites list editor, and select the list your county is in.
Go down to the system, for your county, and open the Department.
View attachment 92550
Now, just click over on the left margin, by where the number of the channel in the Department is.View attachment 92547

With the line for that frequency highlighted, as in my example above, copy that to the Windows clipboard, using the keystrokes of the Control key plus the letter C.

Once you have that copied to the clipboard, then add a line to the department by pressing the green plus sign.
View attachment 92548
Now, click in the channel name field (it's highlighted after you add the line).
Then, paste the line you copied to the clipboard using the shortcut keystrokes of the Control Key plus the letter V.
View attachment 92549
That copies everything from your original line. Finish it off by editing the audio option to reflect Digital, and enter the NAC key as well.
For counties that use the same frequency in both digital as well as analog mode, I add "Digital" to the text tag. That's my preference, but is certainly not a requirement.

Note that you can only add the channel this way if it is in a Favorites list. If you are using only the main database, along with your location and range, you cannot add the line for the alternate method of use.

I've seen that pattern in a number of other counties in my extended area of North Texas, adding a digital format other than P25 to an existing license. Most add DMR, but I have seen several that instead added a NXDN option. There was one that I ran across a year or more ago, that updated their license to add both NXDN as well as MotoTRBO (DMR) emission codes, even though they continued using analog.

Other than two NXDN public safety trunked systems in Dallas County, so far, the only other "non-business" users of NXDN I've noticed have been school districts
This is exactly the information I've been looking for. I will give it a try. Thanks for being patient with me and providing such detailed information. If I have any further questions, I will certainly get back with you.

SSdudley2020

Premium Subscriber
I hate to bother you again. I have tried the exact instructions you gave me. When I come to my favorites list and copy, I do not have a Audio Option in the horizontal column. What am I doing wrong?

SSdudley2020

Premium Subscriber
I hate to bother you again. I have tried the exact instructions you gave me. When I come to my favorites list and copy, I do not have a Audio Option in the horizontal column. What am I doing wrong?
Update again. I think I got. Download new info on program as you instructed. I have now transferred to scanner and I will see if it starts receiving the channel.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
You can change it via the Favorites editor, but not in the main, opening, screen for Sentinel. The only things you can do there are either appending a channel (frequency or TGID) to a list, like appending from the main database, or, if desired, you can append from one Favorites list to another list to add the exact same system details to another list. You can remove a channel from a Favorites list. You can also set, or remove, an Avoid on s specific system, department, or channel.

SSdudley2020

Premium Subscriber
Steve, I have another question since I added the additional channel as you instructed. Too cut down on scan time, I changed the delay time from 2 sec to 0 sec. However, when the Sheriff's office is talking I am hearing partial transmission on one or the other channel. I notice on the delay chart you can go to -1 sec etc. Should I try this to eliminate the scan delay or what do you suggest?

Thanks

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Steve, I have another question since I added the additional channel as you instructed. Too cut down on scan time, I changed the delay time from 2 sec to 0 sec. However, when the Sheriff's office is talking I am hearing partial transmission on one or the other channel. I notice on the delay chart you can go to -1 sec etc. Should I try this to eliminate the scan delay or what do you suggest?

Thanks
"Negative Delay" forces the scanner to move on (resume scanning) if the conversation lasts over the set time. So, if you set the delay as a negative 10 seconds (-10), then after ten seconds the scanner will resume scanning regardless of whether the conversation it was monitoring is done or not. I use a negative delay on the automated dispatch channel for Dallas Fire Rescue. "Dispatch Debbie" has a habit of going ADHD, repeating the same traffic repeatedly (same address, call type, & units assigned).

With a zero delay, the minute the sheriff's channel breaks between conversations, the scanner will move to the next one it finds. (For example, a unit in the field calls the dispatcher, there likely will be a brief break until the dispatcher answers. So, you would be leaving in the middle, more or less, of a call on the sheriff's channel even if it were not finished.) Or, if the call on the other channel had started during the same time frame that you were hearing the sheriff's call, you're going to land in the middle of the one taking place on a different channel or talkgroup. If that other call then finishes quickly, the scanner will move on from there. If it is dropping out of the S.O. channel, while someone is still talking, and lands in the middle of something else, that suggests that it may be leaving the S.O. channel due to a priority setting.

As far as scan speed, remember that the scanner will take up to 1.5 seconds to acquire a control channel on a trunked system's site, then look for active talkgroups. If you have multiple sites on the same system programmed, you would be staying within that system longer. You'd have the same effect if you had multiple trunked systems. You should only have the sites (or systems) of interest, that are in range, set to be scanned. You can use location to have those that are out of range disabled.

Also remember that if you have the filter for one or more sites or departments set as "Auto", that will also drag down your scanning speed. When using auto, the scanner will try all the various filter settings to see which one is most effective. But it's not memorizing the the setting that was optimal. So, the next time it hits that same site or department, once again it tries every combination. If you have an agency where you need to use a specific setting (other than Normal, or off), include that setting in your programming so that you do not induce more delay.

Ubbe

...You should only have the sites (or systems) of interest, that are in range, set to be scanned. You can use location to have those that are out of range disabled...

...Also remember that if you have the filter for one or more sites or departments set as "Auto", that will also drag down your scanning speed. When using auto, the scanner will try all the various filter settings to see which one is most effective. But it's not memorizing the the setting that was optimal...
If there's no activity in one site it goes to the next and waits there for the hold time and continous going to the next site if there's no activity. But if a site are active with calls and when the delay timer times out after the call is done it will skip all other sites in the system and go to next system. At least that was how it used to be. But it could have changed lately.

If the control channel are out of range, there's no signal at all, it will just skip the site in milliseconds and does not use the hold timer. It needs to be a carrier detected to activate the hold timer.

The auto setting of filters are intended for mobile use, when you travel and your position constantly changes. That's why it cannot use a memory function. Filter settings are locations dependent and not system dependent. One persons filter settings might not work for a person some miles away monitoring the same system. In most cases it is useless to try and recommend a certain type of filter for a specific system.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.