SDS100/SDS200: SDS 100 Not charging

kd0jur

Hi All,

I plug my scanner in while it is charging. I've confirmed that 'charge while on' is on. The light illuminates red and the radio doesn't die. Then when I unplug it, say after several hours, it say batteries low. Or sometimes I get a warning that makes me think the current is not enough to charge the battery. Now if I plug it in overnight, I get the green charged light and it will scan for hours.

My current work around is to leave it plugged in and off until charged. Then scan and repeat. Not ideal for continuous monitoring.

Is my wall usb not enough to charge while scanning?

Any ideas?

Thank you

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
It take h-o-u-r-s to charge an SDS100, so I think you have your answer. You need to charge overnight.
Yeah you need at least 2 batteries to use the 100 and the external charger. 1 "larger capacity" battery lasts around 6-8 hours. For continuous monitoring you really need to get a mobile of some type, especially in a vehicle.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Yeah you need at least 2 batteries to use the 100 and the external charger. 1 "larger capacity" battery lasts around 6-8 hours. For continuous monitoring you really need to get a mobile of some type, especially in a vehicle.

Not really. I have 1 battery, no external charger and use a cigarette lighter adapter with the supplies Uniden cord. This keeps the battery charged while mobile until I repeat the overnight charge cycle. Large battery is 4 years old.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,

I plug my scanner in while it is charging. I've confirmed that 'charge while on' is on. The light illuminates red and the radio doesn't die. Then when I unplug it, say after several hours, it say batteries low. Or sometimes I get a warning that makes me think the current is not enough to charge the battery. Now if I plug it in overnight, I get the green charged light and it will scan for hours.

My current work around is to leave it plugged in and off until charged. Then scan and repeat. Not ideal for continuous monitoring.

Is my wall usb not enough to charge while scanning?

Any ideas?

Thank you
Depends on the wall adapter's output, should be written on it. I am guessing you need at least 5v @ 3 amps or more (15 watt).

Ubbe

It's the voltage that are set to a very sensitive min level in the scanner. If I use a power adapter that gives 5.0V it doesn't matter what cable I use, it occasionally will trigger low bus voltage. The ones that always work has a 5.3V output.

Scanner takes 850mA and charging will take an additional 500mA, 1350mA are what the scanner takes as max, and as the battery are 5AH it will take at least 10 hours to charge an empty one.
If you don't need to charge then try to use the micro connector to power the scanner and you can also use a small external power bank if the original battery goes flat. A honest 5AH power bank, usually marked 10AH, will give 7-8 hour of additional use powered from the micro USB.

/Ubbe

kd0jur

The only reason I disagree, is because my prior SDS 100 would sit charging/charged on my desk and then work for hours after.