SDS 100 power from car

Status
Not open for further replies.

himages

I read a few comments about the sds100.....when I plug the supplied cable into my cigarette lighter adapter, few minutes after I charge my radio, it starts to chirp (batt low)....tonight, im thinking ok......what IF I bought a DC power inverter for my car and plug the ac adapter that came with the kit, into the adapter and plug the usb male into the adapter and then plug that mini charge plug into the radio.......will THAT work the same as having it "plugged into the ac outlet at home?? what are your thoughts?

Reconrider

I think you either don't have "battery charge while on" enabled" or your car port doesn't work

himages

i bought another cigarette lighter/usb plug and it works....and I did set it per instructions on the booklet and youtube....yet, it gave me a low battery indication.....thus, I wanted to find out from this forum....some members I read, have a similar problem.....about the car itself not outputting enough voltage to charge the 100..

Reconrider

I haven't had that issue in my vehicle, but my buddy has a 96 toyota and it won't charge his cell phone.
Look for a voltage meter that can do dc, and hook your cable to it and see what you get for output(probably an easier way, but that's what I know). does your car have other car lighters, try those.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
I read a few comments about the sds100.....when I plug the supplied cable into my cigarette lighter adapter, few minutes after I charge my radio, it starts to chirp (batt low)....tonight, im thinking ok......what IF I bought a DC power inverter for my car and plug the ac adapter that came with the kit, into the adapter and plug the usb male into the adapter and then plug that mini charge plug into the radio.......will THAT work the same as having it "plugged into the ac outlet at home?? what are your thoughts?
Sounds inneficient ... DC -> AC and then AC -> DC. You are bound to lose even more power through two transformations than when you were just going 12vdc to 5vdc, and compound the issue.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I've used a 3A cigarette lighter power supply to run my SDS100 with external GPS. It would power the radio, GPS and keep the radio battery charged. Be aware that, just because the power supply says 2A, or whatever, doesn't mean that's what it is. As often as not, it's lower.

Also, I've found that some "cigarette lighter" plugs that aren't actually cigarette lighters will not hold the plug tight enough to make good contact. Often, the spring-loaded side contacts (ground) on the plug are not strong enough to keep the plug inserted to maintain the connection.

Last edited:

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Another thing to watch for is temperature of the radio in a vehicle... If it gets to hot, enough power or not the charger will shutdown...

Also as KK4JUG said... Some of the adapters are overated and can't deliver the power they claim...

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
You didn't indicate whether you are plugging into a USB socket or cigarette lighter in your car. Uniden wants the power source to be 2 amps (or greater) to run the radio and charge the battery. I could see some USB sockets not providing that much current. I'd get a cigarette lighter to USB adapter that is at least 2 amps and use that. Also, use a short USB cable (3 feet or under).

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
You didn't indicate whether you are plugging into a USB socket or cigarette lighter in your car. Uniden wants the power source to be 2 amps (or greater) to run the radio and charge the battery. I could see some USB sockets not providing that much current. I'd get a cigarette lighter to USB adapter that is at least 2 amps and use that. Also, use a short USB cable (3 feet or under).
gmclam is right. Most USB vehicle USB ports are less than an amp and some don't deliver power at all. I have one in my Kia that strictly for input to the audio system but it isn't marked as such.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
As previous members stated, you will need a more powerful USB adapter and the original cable or a high quality cable. I bought a 2.4 amp usb adapter off Amazon and I use the original cable and I have no problems. If you need a cable, make sure it will carry the proper amps. Most of the usb cables sold will not handle more than 1-1.5 amps unless it is stated otherwise. Especially if their longer than 3 feet.

himages

Another thing to watch for is temperature of the radio in a vehicle... If it gets to hot, enough power or not the charger will shutdown...

Also as KK4JUG said... Some of the adapters are overated and can't deliver the power they claim...
yep! I think thats how I "cooked" my old harris p7100ip.....it was a pretty hot day at work.....

Status
Not open for further replies.