SDS100/SDS200: SDS 100 Reception Issue

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
After updating the firmware on my SDS 100 I have noticed that it‘s barely able to receive on any frequency band conventional and trunking. A few frimwares back i was able to pick up several trunking systems and other conventional transmissions just fine now I can’t. I’m convinced this this is a firmware issue, I’ve tried all the basic troubleshooting, changing filters, antennas, and etc. Is it worth sending it back to Uniden for repair or wait for a new firmware that will fix this issue? Has anyone else experienced this? Thank you.

Current Firmware

Main -1.23.07
Sub - 1.03.06

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Reset it back to factory defaults and then try NOAA Wx radio.

Power OFF
Hold #2, #9 and middle top button and POWER ON
Don't load your codeplug and just load up 162.xx and verify you can receive NOAA.
If you can't then check the BNC connector.

Ubbe

At the bottom of this page you will have older firmware to download. Unpack from zip and but the files in the firmware folder of the SD card.
I haven't seen anyone else complaining about loosing reception in both analog and digital modes with the latest firmware.

/Ubbe

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
It might also be a good idea going forward to first check the firmware’s list of items it is supposed to change/fix/add/suntract. If it isn’t something critical that will further enhance the scanner’s abilities, or it’s solely a frivolous addition that you never needed in the first place, the old adage “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” applies.

Just because there’s a new F/W update it doesn’t mean it HAS to be installed unless Uniden insists it’s a MUST.

I’ve noticed, at least where Uniden is concerned, the expectation is to install each and every upgrade when they become available. That doesn’t hold true in all cases but we are talking about Uniden here so it very well may be necessary to update every time Uniden pushes one out the door. But I saw no need for the latest sub update and didn’t bother with it. Has anyone noted any issues with not installing it? Uniden only listed what it was intended to do when installed, not what might happen if it wasn’t included.

Sometimes manufacturers don’t require the updates to be installed, in which case it may be necessary to instal the F/W you have no need for because future updates that you do have a need for depend upon a previous update in order to install correctly.

I owned an “open source” Ham radio with DMR/conventional dual band transceiver capabilities from Connect Systems. One of its selling points was that you could edit the F/W because it was not copywrited. It was intended to be edited. And it was constantly being updated as a matter of routine. Various alternate scenerios and improvements were developed and released after they were vetted by the manufacturer. Sometimes a new F/W’s intent didn’t suite your needs, or work well with previous updates. In which case you didn’t use it. But manufacturer would warn you if any previous updates needed to be installed first. All the updates were listed and could be downloaded from the manufacturers site.

I am using the term “update”. I differentiate between new free firmware offerings and those you pay for. I call those “upgrades”.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
At the bottom of this page you will have older firmware to download. Unpack from zip and but the files in the firmware folder of the SD card.
I haven't seen anyone else complaining about loosing reception in both analog and digital modes with the latest firmware.

/Ubbe
As an afterthought, I just returned from an 8 hour trip from Ct to Va. and back. I could not get the SDS200 to use the GPS tracking. I only installed the first file, the latest F/W update but not the sub. Wondering if my not installing the latest sub F/W might be the cause of my malfunctioning GPS?

a727469

Premium Subscriber
I have a bad habit of jumping on and installing updates on everything as soon as they come out. I even subject myself to Apple IOS developer builds… Fortunately, I have only been bit a few times. I guess I love the adventure, but would not be happy in this case if it totally destroyed reception👿 As mentioned, I would first reset it, maybe format the card after making sure you have favorites saved and try for weather channels before going back on firmware since the newest seems to function for most people.

phask

Premium Subscriber
As an afterthought, I just returned from an 8 hour trip from Ct to Va. and back. I could not get the SDS200 to use the GPS tracking. I only installed the first file, the latest F/W update but not the sub. Wondering if my not installing the latest sub F/W might be the cause of my malfunctioning GPS?
Experience says - Maybe. I screwed up and had mismatched YMMV FW one time and had all sorts of weird issues. I installed FW manually, not via Sentinel.

Ubbe

I only installed the first file, the latest F/W update but not the sub. Wondering if my not installing the latest sub F/W might be the cause of my malfunctioning GPS?
The operating system firmware expects the DSP sub processor firmware to be of a certain release. Sometimes it's only the OS firmware that have changed but the sub processor are handling all the decoding and audio processing so usually both files have to be installed to ensure proper operation.

/Ubbe

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative

Both should have been installed unless you used unsupported update methods in which case YMMV.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Would you like to explain how to do that? That would be awesome. Thanks.
Some of the earlier firmware version are available on the SDS Firmware update page. D/L and older one and put it on the SD Card in the correct location and the scanner will see that as an update when turned on. Or if you can find whatever version worked for you from another user have them send you the ZIP files

werinshades

Premium Subscriber