SDS100/SDS200: SDS 100 RR data tag. Can I change?

Kevin_Woolhiser

Premium Subscriber
I just got an SDS 100 and I’m really liking it so far. My question is: is there a way to change the data tag somehow so the display doesn’t show the organization title from RR “municipalities” before the town or city name? To me, that word takes up a lot of valuable screen space and most times it then cuts off the town name which is the most important part. I played around for an hour or so before posting but couldn’t figure it out. 5F3A11BD-A044-44CA-8D36-81152221AA07.jpeg

Last edited:

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
If you have built favorite lists, you are able to edit to have these read however you wish.

If you are using full database, I think you can edit with ProScan (not positive) but next time you update full db your changes will be overwritten.

You could also try changing to the simple display format and you’ll have more screen real estate dedicated to those long text strings.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You can, thought it is discouraged, edit the full database with a text editor like Notepad. However, messing around with that can create lots and lots of problems if you do not know what you are doing. And as JTWALKER mentioned, your changes are subject to being undone as the database is updated.

Your best bet is to create a Favorites List from the full database and make the names what you want. Favorites Lists do not update with the full database update.

Kevin_Woolhiser

Premium Subscriber
Is there a longer word for city than municipality? Jk I’ll play around with it. Thanks

tvengr

Well Known Member
You could also try changing to the simple display format and you’ll have more screen real estate dedicated to those long text strings.
If you use the simple display, you will lose the quick key status. I use favorites lists and edit all of the alpha tags using Excel files.

Ubbe

is there a way to change the data tag somehow so the display doesn’t show the organization title from RR “municipalities” before the town or city name?
The easy way are to go to Your Documents folder in Windows and then to the Uniden folder. There you will have a BCDx36HP folder and in that a Profile folder.

In that Profile folder you have your configuration. If you haven't renamed your configuration it will be called "Preset". In the Preset folder will be a HPDB folder with your database. För Massachusetts it will be a file called "s_000025.hpd".

Open that file using Notepad. Do ctrl+H to open up the search&replace feature. At the search line you enter Municipalities and at the replace you enter a shorter name, something like Muni.

Then choose Replace All and then exit Notepad and it will ask if you would like to save the changes and you then answer Yes.

Now start up Sentinel and select Scanner/Write to Scanner and thick the box Force Write Full Database and it will write the new edited database to your scanner.

/Ubbe

KD8FSJ

Premium Subscriber
Open your file in Sentinel. Find that department. Take out that word or shorten/change the line. Put the scanner in simple mode. You can change all those lines to whatever you like. Some of those descriptions have a ridiculous amount of characters in them. I downloaded my database to get me going, then I spent months changing every single line in the MPSCS database. The results were worth it! Some guys like to have the scanner in detail mode. That lessens your display screen. I only use the detail screen when I really need it. I don't normally need to see the WACAN, CC, Signal, Groups, time, Ect. One of the great features of this scanner is the customization. You can get pretty creative if you put the time into it.