SDS100/SDS200: SDS 100 SMA to BNC Adapter ... too shallow for BNC to lock on?

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone had an issue with the Uniden supplied SMA to BNC adapter for te SDS 100?

I just screwed it on the other day and unlike the adapters for the 346/396 scanners, I can't get any BNC connector to lock onto it. It seems too shallow for the BNC connection to fully connect.

Has anyone else had this issue? I have tried more than a dozen BNC connectors, they all have no issue with the SMA-BNC adapter on my 396xt and 346xt. But those adapters do not appear to fit the SDS100 due to the design of the connection.

Any suggestions?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The SDS 100 adapter is unique. You cannot interchange a BCD 436 one with the SDS.

Wonder if someone got mixed up, such as the factory supplying the wrong one, etc?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you mixed up adapters, or Uniden sent the wrong part. As stated, the SDS100 adapter is unique. The only work around to allow a generic (common) adapter to work is to file down that ridge around the antenna port, something I’ve been threatening to do for years!

It appears to me Uniden used an existing case they use for their marine portable transceiver… possibly in an effort to save on production costs? It is also my belief that the use of the existing marine radio case was determined by a concern by Uniden that the competition was also pushing out a scanner (which ultimately proved not to be a concern) and they wanted to beat it to market, evident by both that antenna port ridge and the modifications necessary, after the SDS100 was released, for the necessity of a larger battery. Uniden rushed the radio to market. Luckily, they succeeded in their efforts to overcome these shortcomings and produced a viable product. If they had it to do all over again, I suspect they would have opted for a case that accommodated a battery that snapped onto the back of the radio much like the ham radio community uses.

Dewey

Before everyone starts parroting "unique", that's NOT the problem in how the OP reads. The uniqueness of the SDS100 BNC adapter is the SMA side and how it mates to the SDS100 to prevent water intrusion. The OP says he screwed his adapter on, but cannot get a BNC connector to lock on. There is nothing "unique" about the SDS100 BNC adapter's BNC side. OP can you confirm that it is the BNC side that's giving you a problem? If so, something else is going on, such as, a defective adapter.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Before everyone starts parroting "unique", that's NOT the problem in how the OP reads. The uniqueness of the SDS100 BNC adapter is the SMA side and how it mates to the SDS100 to prevent water intrusion. The OP says he screwed his adapter on, but cannot get a BNC connector to lock on. There is nothing "unique" about the SDS100 BNC adapter's BNC side. OP can you confirm that it is the BNC side that's giving you a problem? If so, something else is going on, such as, a defective adapter.
“But those adapters do not appear to fit the SDS100 due to the design of the connection”

Implies it’s the SMA side of the adapter… as if he is not using the correct, supplied Uniden adapter…

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
“But those adapters do not appear to fit the SDS100 due to the design of the connection”

Implies it’s the SMA side of the adapter… as if he is not using the correct, supplied Uniden adapter…
He’s referring to his other adapters which have no problem mating with a BNC.

Maybe it’s an encrypted adapter??

sefrischling

Premium Subscriber

This is correct. I cannot lock any BNC connector onto the adapter.

Trucker700

Could you have something broken off inside the adapter that is preventing the antenna from going all the way down so you can turn it and lock it in place?
James

N9JIG

Sheriff
Does that BNC plug work on other adapters/radios/etc.? If so then perhaps the adapter that you have is bent or otherwise out of spec. You can get a replacement at Scanner Master (Uniden Bearcat SMA to BNC - SDS100 | Scanner Master) or other sources.

With the SDS100 you cannot use regular SMA-BNC adapters as the waterproofing ring on the radio prevents most adapters from seating properly. The above adapter (same as supplied with the radio) and others made for or altered to fit the SDS100 have a narrow collar to fit the radio. One guy was selling standard adapters that he milled to fit, these work better than the original as they provide better stability.

sefrischling

Premium Subscriber
Does that BNC plug work on other adapters/radios/etc.? If so then perhaps the adapter that you have is bent or otherwise out of spec. You can get a replacement at Scanner Master (Uniden Bearcat SMA to BNC - SDS100 | Scanner Master) or other sources.
I have tried hooking up four portable BNC antennas and seven wired BNC coax connectors. None of them will lock onto the supplied adapter.

I may just buy another one and hope it works. The SMA worked great, but is a pain in the rear switching between a portable antenna and a coax antenna.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
@sefrischling
Question
1. If you remove the adapter from the scanner will the BNC go on the adapter?
2. Did you over tighten the adapter on the scanner pushing the center inside the adapter up and that is what is blocking the BNC?
3. If question 1 works look real hard at question 2.
I have seen #2 several times when people over tighten adapters on radios and push the centers up blocking the seating of the connector.

sefrischling

Premium Subscriber
@sefrischling
Question
1. If you remove the adapter from the scanner will the BNC go on the adapter?
2. Did you over tighten the adapter on the scanner pushing the center inside the adapter up and that is what is blocking the BNC?
3. If question 1 works look real hard at question 2.
I have seen #2 several times when people over tighten adapters on radios and push the centers up blocking the seating of the connector.

1) Whether or not the adapter is attached to the SDS100 no BNC connector will lock onto it. I have pulled it off and tried to connect BNC antennas.
2) The issue is in no way related to the SMA connector end of the adapter.
3) I think its a milling error, a factory fluke at this point.