SDS100/SDS200: SDS 100 speaker crackling

Emoney250

I apologize if this has been covered already. I monitor an 800 system in Redding, California. I have been since 1990 when they went to 800 trunked. I now have a crackling noise when this system receives audio ON BOTH MY SDS 100 ONLY. I do not get this on my BCD536, or my SDS200. I sent in BOTH my units for repair. They were sent back and STILL do the same thing. I am lost as what to do next.

thanks to all you pros out there.

mciupa

It sounds like a bad solder connection to the speakers, but it is hard to believe the co-incidence of this happening to both units as well as the repair center missing checking the audio before shipping it back.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have problems with noise on analog trunked systems on both my SDS100 and SDS200. It appears to be inherent in the design of the SDS Scanners. Same systems sound OK on other scanners.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like a bad solder connection to the speakers, but it is hard to believe the co-incidence of this happening to both units as well as the repair center missing checking the audio before shipping it back.
Doubtful it’s a bad solder joint on the speaker. If that were the case the crackling would be heard on any audio, regardless of which channel/frequency/TG you listen to. It could be that the SDS models have something like a “birdie” where it’s not as severe enough to cause the scanner to lock, instead, causes degraded reception. Since the problem is not heard on other scanners I suspect it’s inherent only to the SDS models. I wonder if sliding the IF would help?

Ubbe

I now have a crackling noise when this system receives audio
Did this happen now or have it always been like that?

I take it that it is an analog system, and as it is trunked it is using several voice channels and you have this problem on all channels which then would indicate that it isn't a birdie or interference to a single frequency?

Are you using your scanner with their own antennas or do some, or all, use external antennas?

Are your SDS100's of an early batch where they are using a different SDR receiver compared to SDS200 that uses a more recent SDR receiver chip?

Have you tried using earphones or headphones to check how those sounds and can rule out the internal speakers?

/Ubbe

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I apologize if this has been covered already. I monitor an 800 system in Redding, California. I have been since 1990 when they went to 800 trunked. I now have a crackling noise when this system receives audio ON BOTH MY SDS 100 ONLY. I do not get this on my BCD536, or my SDS200. I sent in BOTH my units for repair. They were sent back and STILL do the same thing. I am lost as what to do next.

thanks to all you pros out there.
Have you tried any of the filters?

Emoney250

Did this happen now or have it always been like that?

I take it that it is an analog system, and as it is trunked it is using several voice channels and you have this problem on all channels which then would indicate that it isn't a birdie or interference to a single frequency?

Are you using your scanner with their own antennas or do some, or all, use external antennas?

Are your SDS100's of an early batch where they are using a different SDR receiver compared to SDS200 that uses a more recent SDR receiver chip?

Have you tried using earphones or headphones to check how those sounds and can rule out the internal speakers?

/Ubbe
I sent BOTH the SDS 100 to Uniden and they came back NOT fixed. That is unacceptable. If they couldn't fix, they should've replaced them with newer units?

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I sent BOTH the SDS 100 to Uniden and they came back NOT fixed. That is unacceptable. If they couldn't fix, they should've replaced them with newer units?
We're they sent in under warranty or were they post warranty? If they were out of warranty, why would you expect them to be replaced with newer units?

There have been several suggestions posted here for you to try, have you tried any of them?

Emoney250

Since I am not having this issue with my SDS200, and my Sentinel programming is IDENTICAL for all SDS that I own, I logically can rule out that it is a "filter" issue. I am going to e mail Uniden and demand for replacements. They are both still under 1 year warranty.

thanks again people!!!

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Since I am not having this issue with my SDS200, and my Sentinel programming is IDENTICAL for all SDS that I own, I logically can rule out that it is a "filter" issue. I am going to e mail Uniden and demand for replacements. They are both still under 1 year warranty.

thanks again people!!!
Thanks for what? You haven't said you have tried anything. The SDS100 is not an SDS200. They are not identical parts and circuits. They may need different settings for things like filters.

It is VERY unlikely they will be replaced but who knows, stranger things have happened.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative

"not fixed" or "no fix required"? Did they actually say they could not be fixed?

If they are working to spec, they won't replace them.

thanks again people!!!
Let us all know how your "demand" goes.... LMAO