SDS 100 speaker question

Status
Not open for further replies.

minasha

Looking at the speaker on the front of the scanner it looks like it is covered with a felt like material (possibly for waterproofing)
Has anyone removed this covering? if so does it improve the audio quality and or volume

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The speaker itself is waterproof. It has a polymer diaphragm. It's mot as flexible as non-waterproof, and that's why it sounds tinny. Ripping out the thin felt dust screen material will not help.

minasha

The speaker itself is waterproof. It has a polymer diaphragm. It's mot as flexible as non-waterproof, and that's why it sounds tinny. Ripping out the thin felt dust screen material will not help.
What if I replace it with a speaker from a 396xt or 436 would that sound better? I don't care about waterproofing

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'm not sure they are the same size, and the clips on the speaker that contact the motherboard would need to be oriented correctly.

minasha

I'm not sure they are the same size, and the clips on the speaker that contact the motherboard would need to be oriented correctly.
If the clips don't line up it's easy to solder fine wires from speaker to board and if nothing matches to hold it in place gluing or hot glue would work. I would try it but I would like to know if anyone did this and can say whether it's worth the effort.

kirkco

Premium Subscriber
Just add a small plug in speaker, or even use a Bluetooth adapter. I wouldn't tear open the device. might/probably do more harm than good.

Ubbe

It's full amplifier output power from the earphone jack, not restricted by limiters, and can even drive a 2 ohm speaker that will have plenty of volume and a much better audio quality than the internal one.

/Ubbe

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The factory speaker is 8 ohms. A 2 ohm speaker would likely do bad things to the audio amplifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.