SDS100/SDS200: SDS 100 STUBBY ANTENNA

mikejeffdfd

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone had good luck using a stubby antenna on the SDS 100 while monitoring a P 25 Simulcast system I live in a Metro area S/E Michigan that has lots of activity I saw some articles about the Comet miracle baby CH 32 and one by a company called panda was wondering if there were any others out there that people have used and had good success with. Thanks

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
Hi @mikejeffdfd. While a stubby antenna will not receive as well compared to the OEM antenna, in a simulcast environment, it can lesson the “workload” on the Uniden SDS-100 while receiving. The main question 🙋‍♂️ will be does the stubby antenna allow you to still monitor your preferred systems in locations that you frequent? Also, when traveling, you may want to switch back to a higher gain antenna so you can hear weaker systems.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
If I am not mistaken, wouldn't a "stubby" be a 1/4 wave antenna?

The answer to your question is - it depends.
If you are in a strong signals area, then probably.
If you live in a fringe area, then probably not.
If you travel between the two regularly, then probably not.

Try one - it's only money.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
With the previous replies in mind, the only way you will really know is to get the stubby. Even if it turns out to not be all that you hope, there’s always the chance you will have an occasion where a less obtrusive antenna fits the bill.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately I misplaced my "Miracle Baby" so can't test it now with my SDS100 but the SMA connector is recessed a bit within an outer "collar" so I'm fairly certain that neither the SMA Miracle Baby nor most other SMA "stubbles" would be able to make a complete threaded connection without an adapter. The BNC version should work without an issue with the supplied SMA to BNC adapter...

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
I've been using a BNC Stubby with a BNC/SMA adapter for the last few months. I've noticed it seems to improve the already great simulcast reception. I'm in an extremely simulcast-saturated area and it seems to help, it was 5 bucks...and it looks pretty cool too.

Your luck will vary, no two areas are the same.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I've been using a BNC Stubby with a BNC/SMA adapter for the last few months. I've noticed it seems to improve the already great simulcast reception. I'm in an extremely simulcast-saturated area and it seems to help, it was 5 bucks...and it looks pretty cool too.

Your luck will vary, no two areas are the same.
You improved performance is probably due to your use of a lesser antenna, meaning simulcast saturated areas can be a bear to listen to, even with a software defined radio. In cases such as this less is better than more. Agreed, your results may vary, but generally speaking, a paper clip is all you need… provided the paper clip is of a metallic design. I asked my wife for a paper clip and was given one made from plastic!

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
You improved performance is probably due to your use of a lesser antenna, meaning simulcast saturated areas can be a bear to listen to, even with a software defined radio. In cases such as this less is better than more. Agreed, your results may vary, but generally speaking, a paper clip is all you need… provided the paper clip is of a metallic design. I asked my wife for a paper clip and was given one made from plastic!
You're definitely right, that's what I was trying to say! Not explaining things well today.

I was looking for a "lesser" antenna to try to calm it down with simulcast. Not that it was doing bad, I just figured 5 bucks why not.

Worst case is I'll have another antenna. Speaking of, I still have one of those Radioshack 800Mhz handheld antennas, the black tapered one, circa 2004-2005 :ROFLMAO:. Works fine.

rcool101

Feed Provider
Has anyone had good luck using a stubby antenna on the SDS 100 while monitoring a P 25 Simulcast system I live in a Metro area S/E Michigan that has lots of activity I saw some articles about the Comet miracle baby CH 32 and one by a company called panda was wondering if there were any others out there that people have used and had good success with. Thanks
I use the Miracle Baby with adapter 95% of the time on my 100. P25 Simulcast MARCS Ohio. Works great