SDS100/SDS200: SDS-100 Travelling w/ GPS. Lightest, most compact option?

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
I have to fly down to Florida in a few weeks and am driving back. I am not going to check a bag but am taking a carryon. I have either the SDS-100 or the SDS-200 to take with me. I want to travel light so this brings me to the SDS-100. (I wish Jon W was still doing the GPS MOD!) What is the most bare bones configuration I can use to power the scanner AND have GPS functionality? Going to drive from Tampa, FL to Pittsburgh, PA so I figure this will be a nice distraction to pass the time.

Thanks for any ideas,
Dave

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have to fly down to Florida in a few weeks and am driving back. I am not going to check a bag but am taking a carryon. I have either the SDS-100 or the SDS-200 to take with me. I want to travel light so this brings me to the SDS-100. (I wish Jon W was still doing the GPS MOD!) What is the most bare bones configuration I can use to power the scanner AND have GPS functionality? Going to drive from Tampa, FL to Pittsburgh, PA so I figure this will be a nice distraction to pass the time.

Thanks for any ideas,
Dave
See if you can get the Uniden BC-UTGC cable. Availability may be difficult, so do a Google search to see if you can find one in stock. Currently, HRO indicates stock, but many other sources are out of stock.

That will pair with this GPS puck:

Now, the only other thing you need is power. If your vehicle has a 12v lighter socket, use a plug in USB power supply capable of at least 2 amps. Connect the cable to the puck & the scanner, and with the USB end, into the power supply. The cable powers both the scanner & the GPS puck, with the correct wiring to feed the GPS output to the scanner. Here's one example:

There are a number of other similar adapters on Amazon & elsewhere. Just make sure that it provides enough current. Two amps or more will power both the scanner & GPS, with enough to also enable the scanner to charge.

If the vehicle you use does not have the 12v socket, you can power this setup with one of the USB power bricks used to charge a cell phone or tablet. Make sure it's one that has a high enough output/

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Background
I have the GlobalSat BR-355S4 GPS Receiver (puck) and the Uniden BC-UTGC GPS Adapter Cable for my SDS100. The GPS puck "appears" to be working fine and my SDS100 seems to see it because "GPS" is displayed on the screen. I use a favorite list (FL) for my home county (Oneida) and FLs for each of the surrounding CNYICC counties (Madison, Onondaga, and Oswego). All of the FLs are active and selected. I also have all of the Service Types turned on. I can switch the county FLs on/off as needed. For the problem below, all four of the FLs were on.

Problem
I started my day from Oneida County with the SDS100/GPS combo. When I plugged in the USB connection, the SDS100 immediately saw the GPS and I was scanning the CNYICC Oneida County FL. The problem - the SDS100 didn't switch to the other FLs (counties) as I traveled through them. Example - I left Oneida County and traveled through Madison and then into Onondaga County. When I arrived at my destination in Onondaga County I noticed the SDS100 was still trying to receive Oneida County. I switched off the Oneida County FL and then switched it back on. As soon as I did that, the SDS100 displayed the typical "Scan Mode, Nothing to Scan" message. It seems like my actions triggered the GPS to read again and then the radio determined I was outside the GPS reception circle for Oneida County.

The other issue that you have already guessed - why didn't the SDS100 switch to Madison and eventually to Onondaga County? As stated above, all of the FLs were selected from the start. While sitting in the parking lot at my destination in Onondaga County, I manually deselected the Onondaga FL and then selected it again. You guessed it, the SDS100 started scanning the Onondaga County FL. But why did it take my intervention (FL off/on toggle) to make this happen?

I tried this again on my way home. For this test, I restarted my SDS100 up in Oswego County. I verified that all four county FLs were still selected. As soon as the SDS100 booted, it started to scan the Oswego County FL and ignored the other three FLs. This is obviously correct because I was clearly within Oswego County. As I travelled home, I crossed back into Oneida County and noted the SDS100 kept on scanning the Oswego FL. When I got home (within Oneida County), I checked again and the radio was still scanning the Oswego County FL. I deselected the Oswego County FL and it showed the same "Scan Mode, Nothing to Scan" message. It should have scanned the Oneida County FL with no human actions! When I toggled (deselect/select) the Oneida County FL the SDS100 woke up and started scanning the Oneida County FL. Why?

Is the GPS timing out? The SDS100 display never stopped showing the GPS text. This puck also blinks when plugged in. Is there a way to test the GPS with a PC? What am I missing?

Anyone?

sfb88

You may want to add latitude and longitude fields to your display so that you can make sure that the GPS has a satellite fix and is updating.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Background
I have the GlobalSat BR-355S4 GPS Receiver (puck) and the Uniden BC-UTGC GPS Adapter Cable for my SDS100. The GPS puck "appears" to be working fine and my SDS100 seems to see it because "GPS" is displayed on the screen. I use a favorite list (FL) for my home county (Oneida) and FLs for each of the surrounding CNYICC counties (Madison, Onondaga, and Oswego). All of the FLs are active and selected. I also have all of the Service Types turned on. I can switch the county FLs on/off as needed. For the problem below, all four of the FLs were on.

Problem
I started my day from Oneida County with the SDS100/GPS combo. When I plugged in the USB connection, the SDS100 immediately saw the GPS and I was scanning the CNYICC Oneida County FL. The problem - the SDS100 didn't switch to the other FLs (counties) as I traveled through them. Example - I left Oneida County and traveled through Madison and then into Onondaga County. When I arrived at my destination in Onondaga County I noticed the SDS100 was still trying to receive Oneida County. I switched off the Oneida County FL and then switched it back on. As soon as I did that, the SDS100 displayed the typical "Scan Mode, Nothing to Scan" message. It seems like my actions triggered the GPS to read again and then the radio determined I was outside the GPS reception circle for Oneida County.

The other issue that you have already guessed - why didn't the SDS100 switch to Madison and eventually to Onondaga County? As stated above, all of the FLs were selected from the start. While sitting in the parking lot at my destination in Onondaga County, I manually deselected the Onondaga FL and then selected it again. You guessed it, the SDS100 started scanning the Onondaga County FL. But why did it take my intervention (FL off/on toggle) to make this happen?

I tried this again on my way home. For this test, I restarted my SDS100 up in Oswego County. I verified that all four county FLs were still selected. As soon as the SDS100 booted, it started to scan the Oswego County FL and ignored the other three FLs. This is obviously correct because I was clearly within Oswego County. As I travelled home, I crossed back into Oneida County and noted the SDS100 kept on scanning the Oswego FL. When I got home (within Oneida County), I checked again and the radio was still scanning the Oswego County FL. I deselected the Oswego County FL and it showed the same "Scan Mode, Nothing to Scan" message. It should have scanned the Oneida County FL with no human actions! When I toggled (deselect/select) the Oneida County FL the SDS100 woke up and started scanning the Oneida County FL. Why?

Is the GPS timing out? The SDS100 display never stopped showing the GPS text. This puck also blinks when plugged in. Is there a way to test the GPS with a PC? What am I missing?

Anyone?

2 things, that GPS on the screen means it sees something on that port. That's all. The baud rate set in the sds must match the baud rate the puck puts out. Also, the favorite lists must be ON (loaded) on the sds and set to use location control.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
2 things, that GPS on the screen means it sees something on that port. That's all. The baud rate set in the sds must match the baud rate the puck puts out. Also, the favorite lists must be ON (loaded) on the sds and set to use location control.

Thanks for the feedback and the ideas! I cycled through the baud rate options. The only speed that lights up the GPS text (on the SDS) is 4800. Yah, this is hardly scientific. I downloaded the drivers for the GlobalSat BR-355S4 and will try to verify the baud rate of the puck. Please note that all of my favorite lists are ON (loaded).

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Favorites list being loaded and having location control on are two different things. If location control is not on it will not work.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
You may want to add latitude and longitude fields to your display so that you can make sure that the GPS has a satellite fix and is updating.

Thanks @sfb88 for the tip. I added the Lat/Long to the display and it clearly shows the GPS coordinates from the puck are correct. I'll check it again in the morning as I head into work to make sure the puck location on the dashboard has a good view of the sky. I also verified the baud rate (4800) for the puck matches the rate on the SDS100. More trials tomorrow.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Favorites list being loaded and having location control on are two different things. If location control is not on it will not work.

I verified that Location Control is ON for the four Favorite Lists I have been testing.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I verified that Location Control is ON for the four Favorite Lists I have been testing.
Theres download and monitor. Is monitor set to yes also?

I have that globestat puck and my 436 is set for 4800.... Since you have lat lon displaying, check on google maps and make sure its accurate and changes while driving.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Hi @dave3825 - Both download and monitor are set to YES on all four of the talk groups.

As an update, I monitored the Lat/Long coordinates as I drove to work. The GPS is indeed updating along the way. I work in Oneida County, so I didn't expect to see the SDS jump to the next favorite list.

I hope to get out this weekend and test it again. I am close to the Oswego County line so testing should be simple.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Which county line? I have family in Cayuga County (Port Byron area)

Really odd that the puck is working, your lists have location control set to on, and its not loading lists. What range were you trying with?

If it were me, since using fav lists, I would unplug the gps, set the scanner with a west coast zip code (90210) and let it boot. Tell it no about the full database. It should say nothing to scan. I would plug in the gps. If it does not load my list I would repeat the process using just the full database. If the full db works and not the fav list, then there would be a problem in there somewhere.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Which county line? I have family in Cayuga County (Port Byron area)

Really odd that the puck is working, your lists have location control set to on, and its not loading lists. What range were you trying with?

If it were me, since using fav lists, I would unplug the gps, set the scanner with a west coast zip code (90210) and let it boot. Tell it no about the full database. It should say nothing to scan. I would plug in the gps. If it does not load my list I would repeat the process using just the full database. If the full db works and not the fav list, then there would be a problem in there somewhere.

@dave3825 Easy stuff first. The county line I am referencing is the Oneida County and Oswego County line. I live in the NW part of Oneida County. The Oswego line is 5.5 air miles from my home.

I used your 90210 test and it worked. As soon as I plugged in the GPS, the SDS100 immediately started scanning Oneida County and Oswego County. Yah, I added 15 miles to the range of Oswego County. I obviously need to reduce that range (maybe 10 miles). The current configuration appears to work while I'm sitting in my garage. :cool:

Maybe I had a poor USB connection the other day? With the Lat/Long on the display, I can now see that the GPS is up and running. I will test it again and wander over to Oswego County this weekend to see how the setup works. Thanks for all of your help.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
The GPS and SDS do not know or care about where a county line is. The GPS knows where you are, the SDS knows the range you have set and knows where the transmitters are located and the range each transmitter should cover. Figuratively - - Then the SDS "creates" a circle around your location that is equal to the range you set. Then draws a circle around the transmitter site. If those two circles touch (or overlap) each other... The SDS will try to receive the transmitter. If the circles don't touch, the SDS will not even try to listen to that site and will skip to the next item in your favorites list.

This is all done very quickly inside the SDS, as in many times a second. That's part of the "magic" of location control.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
@donc13 I use the county line as a reference because the CNYICC systems I am receiving are dedicated to each county. Thus the center of each county is the center of the circle I want to intersect with my SDS100/GPS combo. So if I drive from Oneida County to Oswego County, I should eventually drive into that Oswego County circle and my radio should start receiving that neighbor system. And that is where things didn't work yesterday.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I used your 90210 test and it worked. As soon as I plugged in the GPS, the SDS100 immediately started scanning Oneida County and Oswego County. Yah, I added 15 miles to the range of Oswego County. I obviously need to reduce that range (maybe 10 miles).

If you have @ProScan you can view range rings, or rectangles on your favorites lists.

1674172842205.png

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
It really gives a bird's eye perspective on the ranges on agencies in the fav lists. If you put all the counties in question in the same fav list, you can see who overlaps who .

I am on Long Island and a while back I used our counties GIS mapping that showed not only police precincts, but each precincts sector cars area of patrol. I started doing the 100 fire depts in my county. Those 100 are between 10 divisions and I have those done already.

I used mostly rectangles and some circles.