SDS 100 User - Rice County or South Metro

Status
Not open for further replies.

rastab

I have a brand new SDS 100 just out of the box. I have been monitoring ARMER daily since it went live years ago so I am familiar with trunking, etc. I used the Sentinel Software and the Radio Reference database. It shows it has the correct control channels in the system, but nothing heard. No signal strength shown and does not say "searching for control channel". I am assuming that it is a programming error or user error rather than a hardware issue. Would anyone be willing to chat with me about this?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I would search for a post called "x36 Nothing to Scan checklist". While not specifically the issue, there are some hints that may be helpful.

Being sure you have, for now, all service types checked. Once you know the scanner is "ok", then you can pare down the list.

is the right zip code set?

For now, I would set the Range at 50.0. Once you know the scanner is "ok", you can reduce that to the most desired "sweet spot".

Are you scanning the full database or a favorites list - wasn't positive (full database is best for new user)

rastab

I would search for a post called "x36 Nothing to Scan checklist". While not specifically the issue, there are some hints that may be helpful.

Being sure you have, for now, all service types checked. Once you know the scanner is "ok", then you can pare down the list.

is the right zip code set?

For now, I would set the Range at 50.0. Once you know the scanner is "ok", you can reduce that to the most desired "sweet spot".

Are you scanning the full database or a favorites list - wasn't positive (full database is best for new user)
Thanks, but it still doesn't work. I even tried our VHF Fire dispatch and nothing heard, even when my other scanner was receiving transmissions. I had tried both selecting the FD dispatch from the database and directly entering the frequency and selecting the correct NFM modulation without the PL tone, and squelch set to 0. Nothing. Makes me wonder about a bad antenna connection. I have tried other antennas, btw. I will call Scannermaster a third time, probably for a return/exchange.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree - doing a weather scan is a very good test whether your radio receives. If you get weather, then it's on to other setting issues. This is a pretty complex scanner with a lot of little things, any one can upset the apple cart.

The scannermaster support folks are pretty sharp and they should be able to walk you through to try to get what you desire.

rastab

I agree - doing a weather scan is a very good test whether your radio receives. If you get weather, then it's on to other setting issues. This is a pretty complex scanner with a lot of little things, any one can upset the apple cart.

The scannermaster support folks are pretty sharp and they should be able to walk you through to try to get what you desire.
Yes, I tried weather right away for that reason. I spoke to Scanner Master and they will be doing an exchange for me.

Thanks, everyone!

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Do yourself a favor and dump the SDS100 for a SDS200. To many issues with the SDS100. One of the reasons I went with the SDS200.

AAFC

Do yourself a favor and dump the SDS100 for a SDS200. To many issues with the SDS100. One of the reasons I went with the SDS200.
...... or maybe even a Unication G4 or G5?

The Unication G4 costs less than the SDS100 right now and I have been absolutely blown away by it's sound quality and it's ability to operate perfectly (so far) on the statewide P25 ARMER system.... And ESPECIALLY it's ability to handle P25 simulcast systems with absolutely zero digital distortion or garbled audio. None! I purchased my G4 from Ray's pager sales and it came with a free extended warranty up to 5 years, no sales tax, and free shipping. I should've ditched my old scanners years ago. I love this thing!

YMMV

rastab

Update: Scannermaster correctly concluded the first unit was "deaf". Now have a replacement that works perfectly and easily. Great simulcast performance and sound.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Status
Not open for further replies.