SDS 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

globalphn

Just got a SDS 100 and has several issues nobody has been able to help with at Uniden. Volume control only toggles between 2 numbers Ie: 78 87 78. When you go into menu it will only toggle the first two sub menu's will not go down the whole list. Was able to get California loaded and when it is scanning has a crackling noise. No more in stock so can't get a replacement can only return it. Is there a way to just wipe the whole unit and reload complete Firmware to see if it is a software issue vs hardware?

Ubbe

Read the scanner using Sentinel. Edit the profile and go to the Miscellaneous tab. There you have the volume setting the scanner will use after you have programmed it again. Change that volume setting to 1 and program your scanner. Remove the USB cable and check if it now only goes between volume 0-1 or 1-2. You probably have a faulty rotary controller.

Put the firmware file in the firmware folder on your SD card and it will reload the firmware again.

/Ubbe

globalphn

Volume is 01 0101 with the oscillating scratch sound still. Not sure I did the firmware correctly. Pushing down on knob and turning alot was able to get it to a close system and volume moved to 4 5. Knob functions seem fine (push down turn clicks) but software seems jacked up Got it to a channel and just says scanning while there is radio traffic on that channel

Ubbe

You can only overwrite what is already there.

You can load an older firmware, from the site that has all versions, and load that and then have Sentinel load the latest version available from Uniden. It should clear everything up if you suspect a firmware corruption. There are checksums and other controls so firmware problems shouldn't happen. But there are areas in the scanners memory where variables are stored that might have gone outside of the values that the scanner uses that can create problems. Loading an older firmware and then a newer one will restore all memory positions to the proper values.

/Ubbe

kruser

Premium Subscriber
If this link works, you should be able to get the old versions of the main and sub firmware. Copy the bin files into the firmware folder on the SD card and then power cycle the radio. It should overwrite whatever version is in the radio. Then I'd do some testing and if all seems good, use Sentinel to update to the latest firmware version.

Here's the link for the google drive folder for SDS100 firmware.

globalphn

Out of my wheel house Sent it to Uniden they will have it in the morning. See if they fess up to what was wrong

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Out of my wheel house Sent it to Uniden they will have it in the morning. See if they fess up to what was wrong
Just curious, instead of sending it away to Uniden to wrench on, why didn't you just return it to the vendor get your money back and start with a new unit? I know they're scarce but... Sounds like it was a defective unit. There have been a lot of problems with rotary knobs. Just wondering, you'll go a long time without your radio now.

palmerjrusa

The
Volume is 01 0101 with the oscillating scratch sound still. Not sure I did the firmware correctly. Pushing down on knob and turning alot was able to get it to a close system and volume moved to 4 5. Knob functions seem fine (push down turn clicks) but software seems jacked up Got it to a channel and just says scanning while there is radio traffic on that channel

The rotary encoder started failing on my SDS100 not long after I purchased the unit. It's only gotten worse with time and makes operating the scanner frustrating...to say the least.
Switched on my Home Patrol 2 (seven months old) over the weekend and a white line appeared across the display and won't go away after trying all the obvious things like resetting the unit, reloading the software etc.
Then there's the annoying buzzing background noise on my SDS200 which was present from the start.
In my opinion Uniden have a quality control problem.

Last edited:

belvdr

No longer interested in living
The rotary encoder started failing on my SDS100 not long after I purchased the unit. It's only gotten worse with time and makes operating the scanner frustrating...to say the least.
Switched on my Home Patrol 2 (seven months old) over the weekend and a white line appeared across the display and won't go away after trying all the obvious things like resetting the unit, reloading the software etc.
Then there's the annoying buzzing background noise on my SDS200 which was present from the start.
In my opinion Uniden have a quality control problems.
To contrast that, I have a 436, 100, and two 200s, and none have issues. That's a shame you have that many issues though.

palmerjrusa

To contrast that, I have a 436, 100, and two 200s, and none have issues. That's a shame you have that many issues though.

I own a 536 and 436 and the encoders are still fine, though the 436 had to be sent back to fix the clock/display issue.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I own a 536 and 436 and the encoders are still fine, though the 436 had to be sent back to fix the clock/display issue.
Oh I forgot about that one. I had to get that done as well.

palmerjrusa

Oh I forgot about that one. I had to get that done as well.

And my 536 is about to get returned for the clock/display problem.
So the record to date is, the last five scanners I've purchased from Uniden all have had significant problems.

At this point the rotary encoder on my SDS100 is barely functional.

Status
Not open for further replies.