SDS-200 and Garmin eTrex

N4AVQ

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone successfully used a Garmin eTrex for GPS function? My eTrex 10 is basic but has a USB output and I have the cable. I have tried both 4800 and 9600 baud settings and the GPS screen shows it to be locked in.

I still don’t see the GPS box in the detail screen. Have I missed a step ?

The eTrex doesn’t seem to have a manu setting to adjust the baud rate or “activate” the USB port. However when plugging the cable in it does power up the unit and allows me to toggle between Data Storage and Garmin.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I don't think that will work...the GPS has to have a NMEA output and just glancing through the Garmin website on that model, it doesn't say anything about it. But folks more familiar with that unit can easily prove me wrong....Mike

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've used the Garmin eTrex on earlier Uniden models (996 vintage) with excellent results. I understand that "most" GPS devices have a default baud rate of 4800 where the SDS 200 uses 9600. So you might find the manual and see if there is some guidance on how to change the baud rate.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone successfully used a Garmin eTrex for GPS function? My eTrex 10 is basic but has a USB output and I have the cable. I have tried both 4800 and 9600 baud settings and the GPS screen shows it to be locked in.

I still don’t see the GPS box in the detail screen. Have I missed a step ?

The eTrex doesn’t seem to have a manu setting to adjust the baud rate or “activate” the USB port. However when plugging the cable in it does power up the unit and allows me to toggle between Data Storage and Garmin.
The SDS200 GPS port is the 4 wire phone connector on the back of the radio. NOT the USB ports

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You might also want to find out how to set the output for that unit for NMEA as that's what the Unidens require....Mike

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Try this...

phask

Premium Subscriber
Under Interface -In/Out in Settings you need to set it to NEMA output. Page 31 in the manual

donc13

Premium Subscriber
You must be speaking of a specific non-Uniden gps manual, my SDS200 manual has no such interface settings.

Also, the SDS200 can use a gps with 4800 baud rate. The Uniden GPS from their latest universal kit is set at 9600 which is why you need to set the sds200 to match it.