SDS-200 D-Star or Fusion support and Ethernet question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToTheBitCave

Phreakness Monster
Premium Subscriber
1) I've been wondering if there will be any support for D-Star since it's an open standard and used by a LOT of hams? I can understand Fusion being a little more difficult to implement/hard to license due to Yaesu owning it. We have DMR already with an upgrade, but what about D-Star? It's been around a while and uses the same vocoder as generally all the other digital modes.

2) Also, is there any way to control the radio through the ethernet port? I am able to see/control through the serial over USB with XML, but it seems like the ethernet port is only useful for RTSP streaming. Any advice? It would be nice to be able to place the scanner anywhere and use an ethernet<->wifi access point to control it.

3) Any chance of getting more out of this $700 unit like waterfall outputs, trunking control channel info, or anything more over ethernet?

Thanks,
Andrew

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
1. Basically never going to happen. Others will debate why, but it just isn't.

2. ProScan

3. Nobody knows. Also consider the USB A and the back USB - Uniden says future use (ie: nobody knows).

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
In addition to RTSP streaming, the Ethernet port can be used for display, logging, control, & FTP read & write Favorites list.

ToTheBitCave

Phreakness Monster
Premium Subscriber
1. Basically never going to happen. Others will debate why, but it just isn't.

2. ProScan

3. Nobody knows. Also consider the USB A and the back USB - Uniden says future use (ie: nobody knows).

1) ...awesome... I mean, DSD is open source, shouldn't be too hard to port the code over (for D-Star at least) since it's an open standard since the late 90s and all the work is already done. The code seems pretty well structured and documented. I figured a $700 scanner with a ham service type in the menu would do it all... first world problems I suppose...no matter...#2 is what I'm really after...

2) So I have ProScan, but it stops being able to control/see the display with the USB cable disconnected. Do you have any info on what port the XML transmitting service is on? I've ran a full nmap scan with nothing interesting (other an RTSP), unless it's a UDP service that's expecting a request of sorts before blasting out any data.

3) It's been a minute since its release... I wonder why they're so quiet? o_O

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
2) So I have ProScan, but it stops being able to control/see the display with the USB cable disconnected. Do you have any info on what port the XML transmitting service is on? I've ran a full nmap scan with nothing interesting (other an RTSP), unless it's a UDP service that's expecting a request of sorts before blasting out any data.

In ProScan, instead of using USB, you choose URL, then the radio's IP address / set.
Now, you can control the radio and audio is also rec'vd over the IP connection. The only thing USB is needed for is for programming.

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
The display, logging, & control data uses UDP. Scanner UDP port is 50536. In ProScan in the Test & Extra tab, the data received from the scanner is displayed.
In ProScan, instead of using USB, you choose URL, then the radio's IP address / set.
Now, you can control the radio and audio is also rec'vd over the IP connection. The only thing USB is needed for is for programming.
The USB port is needed for firmware updates, full database updates on the scanner, and read & write the scanner profile. The SDS200 has a built in FTP server. Using a FTP client such as FileZilla or my ProScan, the Favorites List can be read or written. FileZilla can also read or write the profile.

ToTheBitCave

Phreakness Monster
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies everyone! Having to have two cables connected (and using serial over USB) seemed redonkulous. I'll give the other selection type in ProScan a go.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
1) ...awesome... I mean, DSD is open source, shouldn't be too hard to port the code over (for D-Star at least) since it's an open standard since the late 90s and all the work is already done. The code seems pretty well structured and documented. I figured a $700 scanner with a ham service type in the menu would do it all... first world problems I suppose...no matter...#2 is what I'm really after...

3) It's been a minute since its release... I wonder why they're so quiet? o_O
What you need to think about is the amount of hours into adding and testing code and the amount of people that would pay for upgrade to make Uniden just break even much less make money. If I wanted to listen to Ham Radio I would buy something that I could also use to talk back and get my moneys worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.